Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Add Module to Kernel

Featured Replies

Hello, I'm new to Armbian.

I've recently tried Olimex's image for a13 (https://github.com/OLIMEX/build).

I saw (and read) on armbian's guide that there's the possibility to customize images build.

I need to add two specific drivers (smsc95xx for my eth interface and uvcvideo for my webcam) to kernel.

I can find their sources in build\cache\sources\linux-mainline\linux-5.0.y\drivers, but they are not listed in various "modules.order" files (ok, so that's why my devices doesn't get loaded).

If I want to add these modules to kernel the only way is to create a patch for "modules.order" in userpatches\kernel (if it's the right directory), or there's a cleaner way (like a .config file) to add them?

Simply run the build script and if asked to adjust the kernel config before building hit yes and then simply select or deselect the modules you want to include in your kernel package.

 

Please note that this is a fork of the Armbian build script so if something does not work as it is intended to you should blame them, not Armbian :P

  • Author

hello @Werner, first of all thank you for your reply.

3 hours ago, Werner said:

if something does not work as it is intended to you should blame them

Yes, I'm aware of it.

I was writing here to get help, not to blame anyone (as I said, I'm new to armbian).

3 hours ago, Werner said:

Simply run the build script and if asked to adjust the kernel config before building

I check out compile.sh script in build directory and understand how it works.

As you said, I see that I need to enable some options in linux-sunxi-default.config, and that the best way to do it is by creating a new file in userpatches called linux-sunxi-default.config. (probably would be also better creating a patch in userpatches/kernel/sunxi-next-olinuxino, but I've never had time to test it now...).

So, I've copied old config/kernel/linux-sunxi-default.config to userpatches/linux-sunxi-default.config and changed:

#CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC95XX is not set

to

CONFIG_USB_NET_SMSC95XX=m

for adding usb/eth driver and

#CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS is not set

to

CONFIG_USB_VIDEO_CLASS=m

for adding webcam drivers.

 

Hope this will help other newbies

Well I actually pointed you in this direction so you do not have to edit config files manually since the build script hands you over to the menuconfig containing the designated config which should be linux-sunxi-xxx ^_^.

Anyway nice that you could figure it out your way.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.