Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reusing kernal customizations?

Featured Replies

I am building from source using the vagrant process, as outlined here: https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Using-Vagrant/

 

When running ./compile.sh, I get the option to customize the kernel via dialog and I did select some customizations. When saving the config, I choose the default `.config` as output. However, when running `./compile.sh` a second time, all the settings are back at default and I can not find any `.config` file anywhere in the tree.

 

Spoiler



vagrant@ubuntu-bionic:~/armbian$ tree output
output
├── config
│   └── linux-rockchip64-current.config
├── debs
│   ├── armbian-config_19.11.9_all.deb
│   ├── armbian-firmware-full_19.11.9_all.deb
│   ├── armbian-firmware_19.11.9_all.deb
│   ├── buster
│   │   ├── armbian-buster-desktop_19.11.9_all.deb
│   │   └── linux-buster-root-current-rock64_19.11.9_arm64.deb
│   ├── extra
│   ├── linux-dtb-current-rockchip64_19.11.9_arm64.deb
│   ├── linux-headers-current-rockchip64_19.11.9_arm64.deb
│   ├── linux-image-current-rockchip64_19.11.9_arm64.deb
│   ├── linux-source-current-rockchip64_19.11.9_all.deb
│   └── linux-u-boot-current-rock64_19.11.9_arm64.deb
├── debs-beta
│   └── extra
├── debug
│   ├── compilation.log
│   ├── compiler.log
│   ├── install.log
│   ├── installed-packages-buster.list
│   ├── logs-.tgz
│   ├── logs-30_01_2020-17_09_53.tgz
│   ├── logs-30_01_2020-17_14_25.tgz
│   ├── logs-30_01_2020-17_15_51.tgz
│   ├── logs-30_01_2020-17_16_04.tgz
│   ├── logs-30_01_2020-17_20_34.tgz
│   ├── logs-30_01_2020-17_26_32.tgz
│   ├── logs-31_01_2020-13_12_45.tgz
│   ├── output.log
│   ├── patching.log
│   └── timestamp
├── images
│   ├── Armbian_19.11.9_Rock64_buster_current_5.4.16.img
│   └── Armbian_19.11.9_Rock64_buster_current_5.4.16.img.txt
└── patch


vagrant@ubuntu-bionic:~/armbian$ tree userpatches
userpatches
├── Dockerfile
├── README
├── Vagrantfile
├── atf
│   ├── atf-rk3399
│   ├── atf-rockchip64
│   └── atf-sunxi64
├── config-default.conf -> config-example.conf
├── config-docker.conf
├── config-example.conf
├── config-vagrant.conf
├── customize-image.sh
├── kernel
│   ├── imx6-current
│   ├── meson64-current
│   ├── meson64-dev
│   ├── meson64-legacy
│   ├── mt7623-legacy
│   ├── mvebu-current
│   ├── mvebu-dev
│   ├── mvebu-legacy
│   ├── mvebu64-current
│   ├── mvebu64-dev
│   ├── mvebu64-legacy
│   ├── odroidxu4-current
│   ├── odroidxu4-legacy
│   ├── rk3399-legacy
│   ├── rockchip-current
│   ├── rockchip-legacy
│   ├── rockchip64-current
│   ├── rockchip64-dev
│   ├── rockchip64-legacy
│   ├── rockpis-legacy
│   ├── s5p6818-legacy
│   ├── sunxi-current
│   ├── sunxi-dev
│   └── sunxi-legacy
├── misc
├── overlay
├── rock64.conf
└── u-boot
    ├── u-boot-helios4
    ├── u-boot-imx6
    ├── u-boot-imx7d
    ├── u-boot-meson
    ├── u-boot-meson64
    ├── u-boot-mt7623
    ├── u-boot-mvebu
    ├── u-boot-mvebu-dev
    ├── u-boot-mvebu-next
    ├── u-boot-mvebu64
    ├── u-boot-odroidn2
    ├── u-boot-odroidxu4
    ├── u-boot-rk3399
    ├── u-boot-rockchip
    ├── u-boot-rockchip64
    ├── u-boot-rockchip64-dev
    ├── u-boot-s5p6818
    ├── u-boot-sun50iw2
    ├── u-boot-sun50iw6
    └── u-boot-sunxi


vagrant@ubuntu-bionic:~/armbian$ tree /tmp/
/tmp/
├── headers-debian-byteshift.patch
├── systemd-private-e9159b9661b4464181744cd8fd1f8045-systemd-resolved.service-iF9CdM [error opening dir]
├── tmp.90M3rBtEQs
├── tmp.KebGKiskk9
├── tmp.PEIvp4IFHe
├── tmp.pHeo3L7lGP
└── vagrant-shell


 

 

No files in `userpatches` are changed since before running the compile.

 

 

Reading https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/#providing-build-configuration suggests new config files should be generated but I can't locate any. The files in userpatches are untocuhed.

 

I do see `./output/config/linux-rockchip64-current.config` - this seems to contain kernel config (I did a build for rockchip64 here). Is this what I'm looking for? If so, how do I reuse this in a sustainable way?

 

Lastly, do I get it right if by default I should put generic customizations in `./userpatches/config-default.conf` and board-specific ones in e.g. `./userpatches/rock64.conf`? (Asking since docs seem to be very out of date wrt directory structure)

 

Edited by TRS-80
put long code in spoiler

Just copy linux-rockchip64-current.config after your configurations from ./output/config/ to ./userpatches/ and it will be reused for the same family (ie boards within rockchip64 family, but not rk3399)

  • Author
On 2/1/2020 at 6:35 PM, MaxT said:

Just copy linux-rockchip64-current.config after your configurations from ./output/config/ to ./userpatches/ and it will be reused for the same family (ie boards within rockchip64 family, but not rk3399)

Thanks!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.