Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is there any way to test custom built images without burning sdcard?

Featured Replies

(Please feel free to move the post if it is not appropriate here.)

 

I'm trying the build environment on VirtualBox and modifying settings and adding new scripting. I have had a habit of testing each modification right away, but the compile/burn/on-device-test is not logical.

 

How can I emulate a device / setup / install process? Is there any way?

 

Solved by bozden

  • Author

Thank you Igor, I already had examined them briefly. Very nice work indeed... But not applicable for my case (I think)... I'm not bulk-producing...

 

What I'm trying to do (for now) is simply adding some drivers, adding some scripting to customize-image.sh, such as additions to motd, several users/groups/rights management, pre-installing some additional software through apt-get, adding some custom scripts under /usr/local/bin etc.

 

Testing this would require installation of the customized Armbian and checking the logs etc.

 

Is there a working armhf emulator for x32-64? That would ease the burden alot... I found QEMU just now, did you try it?

My development environment is on Win 10 and I don't mind speed loss caused by emulation.

 

Or I'm really missing the point :/

 

23 minutes ago, bozden said:

Is there a working armhf emulator for x32-64? That would ease the burden alot... I found QEMU just now, did you try it?


Yes its is. But. The only image that I manage to boot - didn't really put much efforts to see if any else - was Cubieboard 1.  But that was long time ago ...

  • Author

Yes, they only have cubieboard and Rpi 2 included in base.  I wonder if people have created others.

 

I can guess that it will fail at kernel level if a board is not modeled.

 

I'll stick with writing better code and testing all in one for now...

 

  • Author
  • Solution

For anybody reading this: Most of the debugging for your setup routines can be done just by looking inside generated image file.

Of course I have to burn the sd-card and run on actual device at the end...

 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.