Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[Q] armbian-build-system: created different cpu-packages at once?

Featured Replies

Today I did compile for some SBCs the kernel 5.9.1 dev but had something strange - for me - 

 

When I did compile for sunxi I also did get a .deb for sunxi64 and

a new sunxi when I did compile for a sunxi64 board.

 

AND

as last I did compile for the Odroid C2 (meson64) and I also did get the sunxi and sunxi64 .deb-packages.

Is this normal or a new bug? Because in the past I did only get a new .deb-package for the platform which I did actually compile for.

 

different_platform_debs.jpg.dc55bff6ffcde7caf93cf40378be8274.jpg

Solved by Werner

  • guidol changed the title to [Q] armbian-build-system: created different cpu-packages at once?

I can confirm, there is new bug in build system.

I tried with clean build system just cloned from git, and here is the result in build/output/debs which was empty (not existing) before build run:

2020-10-31 07:51:45 Executing: ./compile.sh BOARD=orangepione USEALLCORES=yes BRANCH=current KERNEL_ONLY=yes KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no
2020-10-31 08:18:36 Created:
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     43716 2020-10-31 08:17:33.152639730 +0100 armbian-config_20.11.0-trunk_all.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 139643152 2020-10-31 08:18:35.516980290 +0100 armbian-firmware-full_20.11.0-trunk_all.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   6915836 2020-10-31 08:17:44.032001230 +0100 armbian-firmware_20.11.0-trunk_all.deb
    file: drwxrwsr-x 2 root sudo      4096 2020-10-30 10:23:38.957016051 +0100 extra
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo     77852 2020-10-31 08:17:31.440740205 +0100 linux-dtb-current-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo    192228 2020-10-31 08:17:31.400742552 +0100 linux-dtb-current-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo     58208 2020-10-31 08:17:31.440740205 +0100 linux-dtb-legacy-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo    182012 2020-10-31 08:17:31.440740205 +0100 linux-dtb-legacy-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo  11261392 2020-10-31 08:17:31.488737387 +0100 linux-headers-current-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo  11382152 2020-10-31 08:17:31.460739031 +0100 linux-headers-current-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo  11008696 2020-10-31 08:17:31.544734101 +0100 linux-headers-legacy-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo  11089428 2020-10-31 08:17:31.516735744 +0100 linux-headers-legacy-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo  33151948 2020-10-31 08:17:31.688725650 +0100 linux-image-current-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo  35331128 2020-10-31 08:17:31.604730580 +0100 linux-image-current-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo  34922552 2020-10-31 08:17:31.856715790 +0100 linux-image-legacy-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sudo  34758916 2020-10-31 08:17:31.772720720 +0100 linux-image-legacy-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 403306604 2020-10-31 08:17:29.904830351 +0100 linux-source-current-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_all.deb
    file: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    228852 2020-10-31 07:52:49.533361612 +0100 linux-u-boot-current-orangepione_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
2020-10-31 08:18:36 Built in 0d 0h 26m 51s: orangepione,current

 

Definitely is an issue.

For very long time i use build script to build kernel for several orange pi boards, and allways the result was 8 debs for each board: source, dtb,  headers, image,  u-boot, armbian-firmware, armbian-firmware-full, armbian-config.

Now something went terribly wrong, I become whole bunch of debs which are unrelated to my target.

 

 

@IgorS at at 2nd run I could not reproduce anymore. Before starting the same build again make sure

  • to run  git pull beforehand to get master up to date
  • rm -rf cache/*
  • rm -rf output/*

ATM I assume some improper cleanup after building...

 

@Werner thanks for advice, but I got a whole bunch of debs at first build, after I deleted build directory and created it fresh from git.
It can't be a problem with any 'leftovers' because everything was fresh.

33 minutes ago, IgorS said:

@Werner thanks for advice, but I got a whole bunch of debs at first build, after I deleted build directory and created it fresh from git.
It can't be a problem with any 'leftovers' because everything was fresh.

That's the point where it does not make sense anymore since I could solve this by clearing my folders beforehand. I have no clue why you still run into this issue with a clean pull...

I'll do some more testing.

 

Edit: nope, cannot reproduce anymore with folders clear....

Edited by Werner

I think, found what is wrong. @Werner was right, first build from 'fresh' build directory is always ok.
In next builds without 'radical' cleaning cache things go messy.
In directory build/cache/sources/Linux-mainline I found:

linux-5.4.72-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.buildinfo
linux-5.4.72-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.changes
linux-5.8.17-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.buildinfo
linux-5.8.17-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.changes
linux-5.8.17-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.buildinfo
linux-5.8.17-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.changes
linux-dtb-current-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.deb
linux-dtb-current-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
linux-dtb-legacy-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
linux-headers-current-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.deb
linux-headers-current-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
linux-headers-legacy-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
linux-image-current-sunxi64_20.11.0-trunk_arm64.deb
linux-image-current-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
linux-image-legacy-sunxi_20.11.0-trunk_armhf.deb
orange-pi-5.4
orange-pi-5.8

I am pretty sure that this *.deb doesn't belong there, so I'll try delete it before each iteration (each board build).

I'm seeing the same problem, exactly as @guidol described.  I cleared the cache directory and then cleared the output directory, then building 5.9 for nanopi-r1 I ended up with (correct) .debs for sunxi, but (incorrect?) .debs for sunxi64 as well :blink:

 

Note:  I'm using docker to build; I performed a full build again after removing all "linux-*" files from "/var/lib/docker/volumes/armbian-cache/_data/sources/linux-mainline/" first, and then the output .debs were correct.  So this is consistent with the workarounds above - just need to clear the right "cache" directory.

I need to build kernels for several sbcs, six to be exact and do this in a loop using a small script to save myself from waiting build to finish and start another.The reason why I don't want to clear entire cache directory is because in that case it downloads toolchain's and sources again and this is slow. It looks like that deleting 'ghost' debs in build/cache/sources/linux-mainline before building do the magic.

1 minute ago, Werner said:

You don't have to tell me/us. I also do have my almost-daily runs (https://werner.armbian.de) which makes stuff a bit messy ;)

Also this behavior is not intended but debugging simply takes time...

Of course, I know that debugging takes time. I'm just trying to provide developers with as many clues as I can to make their job easier.

Tried, problem is really solved.
Btw, I am building kernels for 6 boards, mainline and legacy, everytime when new versions of kernel appear.
Changes in building system that have been made since kernel version 5.8.16 speeds up building about 20%, according my observations.
Good work!

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.