November 24, 20205 yr Hi guys, I installed the latest Armbian (Buster) release for my Odroid HC4 and - after getting rid of Petitboot as that just wouldn't let me boot the image - it's working great so far. Only big problem I have is that it does not recognize any SATA devices, in neither of the two slots. I tried different HDDs / SSDs that I verified are recognized on a Windows PC and another Ubuntu PC. Did anyone get that working already? I assume the required Kernel drivers for the PCIe-Sata-chip are probably still missing. Many thanks and best regards Daniel
November 25, 20205 yr 20:17:03: 2100MHz 3.04 57% 28% 15% 0% 12% 1% 40.7°C 0/13 20:17:04: 2100MHz 3.04 52% 31% 12% 1% 4% 1% 41.5°C 0/13 20:17:04: 2100MHz 3.04 84% 29% 25% 1% 25% 2% 40.7°C 0/13 20:17:04: 2100MHz 3.04 82% 13% 20% 0% 46% 1% 40.8°C 0/13 20:17:05: 2100MHz 3.04 86% 13% 24% 0% 45% 1% 41.2°C 0/13 Could not find anything about the hard drives but something else that makes me wonder. Do you have a demanding task running that consumes 3 cores?
November 25, 20205 yr Author Hi Werner, I didn't have the board booted up for long when creating the Log. In fact, I just booted it quickly just to create the Log so it might be post-bootup tasks. On the Board, there is nothing running except for a (quite empty) OMV install
November 25, 20205 yr Author I did some googling and found that the SATA chipset of the HC4 seems to be quite unsuported in Linux because it apparently reports as an IDE device instead of an AHCI device. https://superuser.com/questions/363144/is-asmedia-asm1061-sata3-controller-supported-under-linux That might be part of the reason why it doesn't find a correct driver.
November 30, 20205 yr @DanielRufHave you also tried it with the Ubuntu-based Focal Armbian image? Is there any chance it will behave differently?
November 30, 20205 yr @DanielRuf I was thinking about getting one of these boards to put together a simple NAS for a friend but I would really need it to 'just work' - sadly I don't have the free time to tinker as much as I used to :-/ Do you know if the OEM supplied firmware (Ubuntu?) works OK? Thanks!
November 30, 20205 yr Author vor 2 Minuten schrieb GeorgeP: @DanielRuf I was thinking about getting one of these boards to put together a simple NAS for a friend but I would really need it to 'just work' - sadly I don't have the free time to tinker as much as I used to :-/ Do you know if the OEM supplied firmware (Ubuntu?) works OK? Thanks! That was also my plan originally The original Ubuntu image should work (but OMV does not work on Ubuntu, in case you want to use that) and also the Debian image in the Odroid forum should work, which uses the stock Odroid Kernel. In the Odroid Board we found that apparently the 4.9-Kernel-Version of the Armbian image should also work, which I will try this evening. For reference, see https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=41019
November 30, 20205 yr 2 hours ago, DanielRuf said: That was also my plan originally The original Ubuntu image should work (but OMV does not work on Ubuntu, in case you want to use that) and also the Debian image in the Odroid forum should work, which uses the stock Odroid Kernel. In the Odroid Board we found that apparently the 4.9-Kernel-Version of the Armbian image should also work, which I will try this evening. For reference, see https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=41019 Thanks for the reply. I don't need OMV and I have no real need for a 'bleeding edge' kernel. so I think I will probably get one of the boards and go for Armbian with the 4.9 kernel. What's the stuff about "getting rid of petitboot"? - Don't the Odroid boards boot direct from SD?
November 30, 20205 yr Author vor 2 Stunden schrieb GeorgeP: Thanks for the reply. I don't need OMV and I have no real need for a 'bleeding edge' kernel. so I think I will probably get one of the boards and go for Armbian with the 4.9 kernel. What's the stuff about "getting rid of petitboot"? - Don't the Odroid boards boot direct from SD? Well, at least for me that didn't work at all. I couldn't for the life of me get any other image than the Official Ubuntu Image with Petitboot installed on the eMMC (thats the stock bootloader of the HC4 that lets you select boot device, do network boot etc) Armbian didnt work, Meverick's Debian image also didn't. Just a black screen wih nothing happening after the Petitboot Boot-Timer. (In the Odroid forum, many users have the same problem) When I skipped Petitboot by removing it with flash_eraseall /dev/mtd0 from within the petitboot console, it worked flawlessly. That just boots the SD card image directly. Don't worry, you can restore Petitboot anytime by flashing it again via SD image,
December 1, 20205 yr Perhaps this will fix SATA https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/d5171276a919ad663650920097c0ae3facbaec7c
December 1, 20205 yr Author I will try to build an image from trunk this evening and will give feedback on if that's working
December 2, 20205 yr Am 1.12.2020 um 09:24 schrieb DanielRuf: I will try to build an image from trunk this evening and will give feedback on if that's working Daniel did you have any success with the Armbian images by now? I'm also quite keen on keeping Petitboot on the HC4, but since you deleted it I guess that's your path and you're not trying to handle the boot situation in another way.
December 2, 20205 yr Author vor 2 Minuten schrieb JSchoeck: Daniel did you have any success with the Armbian images by now? I'm also quite keen on keeping Petitboot on the HC4, but since you deleted it I guess that's your path and you're not trying to handle the boot situation in another way. Didn't have time to try the image yesterday, but planned it for today. Personally, I also didn't like the idea of removing Petitboot - but I just couldn't get it working another way. Updated Petitboot, tried the suggestions in the Odroid forum: Other monitor, other PSU.. No luck.
December 3, 20205 yr Author Hi all, tried today’s nightly build today and it actually fixed it. Thanks!
December 3, 20205 yr Solution 1 hour ago, DanielRuf said: tried today’s nightly build today and it actually fixed it. Great news! Thank you for trying. I will update images ASAP.
July 24, 20242 yr Looks like big SATA powerlink changes are coming with 6.11 kernel https://www.phoronix.com/news/SATA-Link-Power-Linux-6.11 PS I still sometime observe that mine Samsung SSD isn't detected on boot and i have to replug it.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.