Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Recommanded ways to change the default overlays at build time

Featured Replies

Hi!

I need to use the UART1 port on my NanoPi NEO. This usually means just adding "uart1" to the `overlays` in `/boot/armbianEnv.txt`.
What I would like to do is build a custom image that already has the overlay activated by default.

I read the following documentations:
- https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Armbian_overlays/

- https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_User-Configurations/

 

But couldn't find anything about it.
At first I tried to define the `DEFAULT_OVERLAYS` env var in `userpatches/config-example.conf` since I noticed it was defined in the configuration for the board, but it didn't work.
 

I manage to make it work by modifying the `armbianEnv.txt` file within the `customize-image.sh` script, using some sed magic. For exemple:
 

RELEASE=$1
LINUXFAMILY=$2
BOARD=$3
BUILD_DESKTOP=$4

Main() {
        echo "Release: $RELEASE"
        case $RELEASE in
                jammy)
                        DisplayArmbianBootConf
                        ;;
        esac
} # Main

DisplayArmbianBootConf() {
echo "Adding UART1 overlay"
sed -i '/overlays/s/$/ uart1/' /boot/armbianEnv.txt
echo "armbianEnv.txt: "
cat /boot/armbianEnv.txt
echo "UART1 added."
}

 

Now this works fine, but it feels a bit "hackish".
So I was wondering, is there a better way to achieve this ? This I miss an env var, conf file or specific configuration which would allow me to append overlays to the default overlay of the board ?

Thanks,

Solved by schwar3kat

  • Solution
6 hours ago, Maël said:

I manage to make it work by modifying the `armbianEnv.txt` file within the `customize-image.sh` script, using some sed magic. For exemple:


In my opinion, for what it's worth :), that's exactly the sort of thing customize-image.sh is intended to be used for.  
It's arguably less "hackish" than many other hacks, because it is intended for the purpose.

  • Author

Hello !


In this case, and seeing that no one else propose a better solution, I will mark you answer a solution.

It's a bit sad that the board configuration do define a `DEFAULT_OVERLAYS` but it doesn't seem that we can override it.

But the customize-image.sh solution do work pretty well, so definitely not a big deal.

 

Thanks :)

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.