January 2, 20251 yr Hello Armbian team, I’m a big fan of your work and use Armbian on all my single-board computers, including Orange Pi, Banana Pi, and Raspberry Pi. However, I’ve noticed a recurring issue during bootstrapping: identifying the device on the network. Enabling the avahi-daemon could make it easier to connect to or discover the device using mDNS. What are your thoughts on this?
January 2, 20251 yr Hi While I like the idea IMHO avahi is a userspace thing and we don't want to overload the images with pre-installed packages as this, last but not least, eats into our resources in creating and providing them for free.
January 2, 20251 yr Author How do you discover IP of you board right after installation of armbian server?
January 2, 20251 yr Multiple ways. Attach HDMI, attach serial console or check switch/router interface for the ip.
January 2, 20251 yr 8 hours ago, Mr. Fennec said: How do you discover IP of you board right after installation of armbian server? nmap 10.0.40.0/24 throws out all devices in this subnet.
March 25, 20251 yr I think neither of the solutions provided by Werner and Igor are really satisfactory and I 100% agree with @Mr. Fennec that the SBC should be easily discoverable after boot. The closest to that is the nmap command from Igor but that does not work reliably for me and requires root. Adding avahi-daemon package is less than half an MB installation size including dependencies. Not even a drop in the bucket for the image sizes. In my opinion, every board should have a minimal image containing nothing but what's necessary to do the following for at least Debian and Ubuntu: network via DHCP ssh server with standard PW avahi tooling to make the SBC discoverable with zeroconf/mDNS From there, you can take your board to anywhere you want it to and very easily. The desktop images provided are purely courtesy and can be easily replicated from a minimal install by simply installing the packages. For one thing, I was disappointed to see that for my board a minimal, CLI-only package is available for Debian but not for Ubuntu.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.