July 25, 20251 yr Every time the device is turned on, I can start hostapd for the first time. When I ctrl-terminate, the next time I start hostapd, I get an error message: Failed to set beacon parameters Interface initialization failed wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->DISABLED wlan0: AP-DISABLED wlan0: Unable to setup interface. wlan0: interface state DISABLED->DISABLED wlan0: AP-DISABLED wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface wlan0 wasn't started nl80211: deinit ifname=wlan0 disabled_11b_rates=0
July 25, 20251 yr Author It doesn't work. The wlan0 status is on. I think it's a kernel driver problem.
July 25, 20251 yr Author I tried the following commands, but none of them worked. Only when I rebooted the device did hostapd start correctly. ip link set wlan0 down ip link set wlan0 up rfkill unblock wifi systemctl stop NetworkManager systemctl stop wpa_supplicant
July 25, 20251 yr Author Has anyone encountered this problem? I reproduced this problem on the 6.1 kernel image, and finally I returned to the 5.4 historical image, and hostapd ran normally.
July 25, 20251 yr anything 'interesting' in dmesg? and what is the Armbian / kernel version? e.g. uname -a btw 'real' armbian is currently at linux version 6.12.x https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-zero-3/ btw I disabled wpa_supplicant when I run hostapd, I'm not sure if it'd affect anything, normally hostapd should work with wpa_supplicant running should be 'no problem'. wpa_supplicant is 'connecting out', while hostapd is an AP hotspot.
July 25, 20251 yr Author The historical archive of armbian orange pi zero 3 seems to have been lost. I am currently using the 5.4 official image.
July 25, 20251 yr Author This is the current normal version output: Linux orangepizero3 5.4.125 #1.0.8 SMP Wed Mar 19 23:35:12 CST 2025 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux To investigate this issue, I continued to use Armbian_25.5.2_Orangepizero3_bookworm_current_6.12.30-homeassistant_minimal.img Then uname -a output: Linux orangepizero3 6.12.30-current-sunxi64 #2 SMP Thu May 22 12:29:54 UTC 2025 aarch64 GNU/Linux
July 25, 20251 yr I just tested shutting down hostapd and restarting, it works systemctl stop hostapd.service systemctl start hostapd.service system process like hostapd should normally be properly started up and shutdown using systemd, killing the process etc may leave the kernel in inconsistent state. And maybe that's why you observe the issue. this is how I set it up https://gist.github.com/ag88/de02933ba65500376d1ff48e504b1bf3 accordingly, hostapd may require the interface to be on a bridge, I'm not sure about this, but that I'm using a (software) bridge so that the wifi interface is on it. > uname -a Linux orangepizero3a3 6.12.35-current-sunxi64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 27 10:11:46 UTC 2025 aarch64 GNU/Linux > nmcli c NAME UUID TYPE DEVICE bridge a6aa1bb8-c47e-400e-8de1-7faf96489c7a bridge br0 lo 084c74b2-0638-48be-b4c9-364f854ecabd loopback lo br-eth 6bab09b0-e16c-438b-a1bf-e0d82ca5141b ethernet end0 > sudo bridge link 2: end0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 master br0 state forwarding priority 32 cost 100 3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 master br0 state forwarding priority 32 cost 100 I put both ethernet and wifi on the bridge, wifi is not managed by network manager, hostapd patch that into the bridge. it is possible to just let hostapd setup the bridge in hostapd.conf, and normally that's all needed. this isn't the earliest armbian I'm running hostapd in, i've done it since linux 6.6.x kernel an earlier release some 1 year back or so, no issues.
July 28, 20251 yr Author Have you tried to start and shut down the service multiple times? How do you implement your hostapd.service? I haven't tried bridging, but the configuration for system services seems to be wrong. It happened multiple times. I tried countless times with the 5.4 kernel and it never failed, even by terminating the process.
August 22, 20251 yr Author When I did apt upgrade and didn't encounter any problems, I suspected that it was related to a bug in a specific version.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.