Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Vim3l (S905D3) - OS Installation does not work

Featured Replies

Hello everyone,

I urgently need help, as I am on the verge of throwing my Khadas out the window.
I bought a used Khadas Vim3L HTPC Kit (S905D3) and want to use it for Navidrome and Audiobookshelf.
The FLAC files are located on an external 2.5" WD Elements hard drive, first I intended to format this hard drive to ext4 and set it up in the setup process but it doesnt work and the first thing now is to setup the system,i will add the hd later.

Currently, the Vim boots into CoreELEC (which appears to be installed on the internal storage of the vim).
Im a total noob and thats my first vim / Board.
 

I just can't seem to get it to work; no matter what I do, it always boots into CoreELEC.

I have flashed the recommended Debian 13 (Trixie) → Minimal / CLI image (Armbian_25.11.1_Khadas-vim3l_trixie_current_6.12.58_minimal.oowow.img.xz) using balenaEtcher—onto two different SD cards as well as a USB stick, and I am attempting to boot from them.
I have tried various key combinations, but nothing works.
 

For example, when I attempt the method suggested by ChatGPT:

Recovery Button Method

Unplug the power supply

Insert the SD card

Hold down the FUNCTION button

Briefly press RESET

Continue holding the FUNCTION button for another 2–3 seconds
 

I briefly see the Khadas logo, and then it reboots; this process then gets stuck in a loop.

I tried using three different power adapters and usb-c cables, thinking that might be the issue... but it was always the same result. I tried a different SD card and various USB sticks and different formats always the same outcome. As a test, I even selected a different image just to see if it would progress any further, but again, I just saw the Khadas logo followed by a boot loop. As soon as I remove the SD card or USB stick, it boots back into CoreELEC from the internal storage.
 

Now I’ve read on another site that I shouldn't use BalenaEtcher, but instead format the SD card/USB stick to FAT32 and place the image in the root directory. I did exactly that and tested it on both the USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports and with the SD because it boots before usb ?!?.

Then: disconnect the power supply.

Insert the USB stick.

Connect HDMI + keyboard.

Hold down the FUNCTION button.

Plug in the power supply.

Immediately press RESET briefly.

Continue holding FUNCTION for another 3–5 seconds.

And once again, I only see the Khadas logo for a sec and am stuck in a boot loop.
 

Could someone please give me a direct link or the name of the correct image, and tell me the right key combination I need to press or let me know what I'm doing wrong?
A step by step guide for an idiot would be great and sorry if the question is stupid, i watched youtube videos, read in the forum etc. but i dont get it, i need really your help.


Thank you

Hi there, I have the Kahadas 3 and I have the same issue if you found a way to flash that thing let me know. I follow the sequence and I was able to get into an android menu but I am not familiar and there is no documentation explaining things here. Please let me know if you got it working.

Thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.