Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Initial login (via SSH) can't set password

Featured Replies

I have Armbian (headless/server edition, no GUI) booting nicely on an OrangePi.
I got the IP address from my router and SSH'd into the Pi with success.

When I log in, I am asked to change the password.  After I do,  I receive no error message or indication that the password changed, I am simply logged out.

When I reconnect, the password is back to the default of 1234 and it asks me to change the password.  I'm stuck in this loop.

How do I change the password and get it to save?

did you type 1234 two times? first for login, second when you wanna change the password. A login should look like:

  1. root --> 1234
  2. 1234 -->new password --> confirm new password

If I have it right in mind ssh kicks you out when you miss to type in the old password (1234) when you wanna change it.. 

  • Author

Yes.  It prompts me to enter the old password (1234), then create a new password, then confirm the new password.  After I complete these three steps, I get booted off..

  • Author

Interesting.   I  DID  follow that, having used Etcher to write the image to my microSD card.

I decided to try the F3 tool to confirm the stability of my card.  It failed.
I guess I'll be going out tomorrow to find another card.

Thanks for the assist!

  • chwe changed the title to Initial login (via SSH) can't set password
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.