Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Unable to use SPI on Banana Pi M2 Pro

Featured Replies

Hi !

I was trying to use SPI communication with Banana Pi M2 Pro.

 

I am currently using Armbian 26.5.1 and I realized that I cannot find spidev from /boot/dev/ .

 

I tried loading all dtbo files from armbian-config but still I can't get SPI.

 

Is there something that I haven't check yet?

Gemini info 😞 .....

In the official, pure Armbian for Banana Pi M2 Pro, enabling SPI is currently extremely difficult (and even impossible for the average user)

If you absolutely need the SPI bus for your project:

Operating system change: SPI works without any problems on official system images provided directly by the board manufacturer (BPI-M2 Pro Debian/Ubuntu with kernel 4.9 from Amlogic). The manufacturer uses an older but fully modified kernel (Kernel BSP), where all pins are rigidly and correctly assigned.

Or...

Staying with Armbian: If you must stick with Armbian, it's safer to abandon SPI attempts and—if possible—connect the target device to a free I2C bus or UART serial communication (which work flawlessly in Armbian on this board).

But ultimately, the Armbian system developer will have to decide.

(Maybe there is some method to enable SPI on the latest Armbian images/firmware?) 🙂 

Check

https://docs.banana-pi.org/en/BPI-M2_Pro/BananaPi_BPI-M2_Pro

Armbian older  firmware (bananapi manufacturer's firmware)

(bookworm): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DPkc7AHEZVS7PT_yzhNH1Dfuiz99mE0p

Edited by kris777

Am I correct in assuming this applies to similiar boards as well ?

I tried a Radxa Zero board, with two SPI interfaces listed as possible options in the Radxa docs.

Enabling the corresponding overlay with "armbian-config" (radxa-zero-spi-spidev) shows up correctly in the armbianEnv.txt file, but has no effect.

There is no spi<x> in /dev.

 

BTW, I tried the latest release from Radxa, but it has no support for the onboard Wifi/BT module, only shared ethernet via USB-OTG.
Which is why I try Armbian and DietPi.

 

Could this be related to this issue ? : 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.