Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

sudo armbian -install failed, How do I install armbian on a ssd via sata on a raspberry pi 5

Featured Replies

Hi
I've been on a ride. First things first what do i want help with.
I want to know how to install Armbian on an ssd connected via sata. (I know about the sd card hand off, edit this file; sudo nano /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt)

I have a Raspberry 5 that I have armbian 13 minimal cli installed on a sd card, I have other means if it makes a difference. I have an ssd connected to a radxa penta sata hat that i have successfully installed with editing the config file, also have an ssd installed and shows. First time around i used the imager to install an exact copy of the os on the ssd which also meant exact copies of labels and uuid's, which i learned the hard way is not so good, got it to boot on the ssd but not update properly. Now I tried "sudo armbian -install" and i got the result below. I'm been informed right the raspberry 5 does not support grub nor board uboot. Instead of another goose chase with AI i'm hoping to guidance how to properly install it. I want to be able to update the os on the ssd, that is my next milestone...

 

zack@rpi5b:~$ cat /etc/os-release

PRETTY_NAME="Armbian 26.8.1 trixie"

NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"

VERSION_ID="13"

VERSION="13 (trixie)"

VERSION_CODENAME=trixie

DEBIAN_VERSION_FULL=13.6

ID=debian

HOME_URL="https://www.armbian.com"

SUPPORT_URL="https://forum.armbian.com"

BUG_REPORT_URL="https://www.armbian.com/bugs"

ARMBIAN_PRETTY_NAME="Armbian 26.8.1 trixie"

zack@rpi5b:~$ uname -r

6.18.42-current-bcm2711

zack@rpi5b:~$ lspci

0001:00:00.0 PCI bridge: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM2712 PCIe Bridge (rev 30)

0001:01:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB58x AHCI SATA controller

0002:00:00.0 PCI bridge: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM2712 PCIe Bridge (rev 30)

0002:01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Raspberry Pi Ltd RP1 PCIe 2.0 South Bridge

zack@rpi5b:~$ lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTUUID,SIZE,MOUNTPOINTS

NAME        FSTYPE LABEL      PARTUUID                               SIZE MOUNTPOINTS

sda                                                                111.8G

└─sda1      exfat  boot                                            111.8G

mmcblk0                                                              7.3G

├─mmcblk0p1 vfat   RPICFG     3f631019-01                            512M /boot/firmware

└─mmcblk0p2 ext4   armbi_root 3f631019-02                            6.6G /var/log.hdd

                                                                          /

zram0       swap                                                     3.9G [SWAP]

zram1       ext4   log2ram                                            50M /var/log

zram2                                                                  0B

zack@rpi5b:~$

 

image.thumb.png.f724b7861abc144269829fb63055548e.png

Solved by M00nM00n

Tested (Rpi 400):

1. Same image, Armbian Trixie minimal

2. Initial setup + armbian-upgrade

3. Plugged nvme via USB3

 

igorp@rpi400:~$ lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTUUID,SIZE,MOUNTPOINTS
NAME        FSTYPE LABEL      PARTUUID                               SIZE MOUNTPOINTS
sda                                                                119,2G 
mmcblk0                                                             29,8G 
├─mmcblk0p1 vfat   RPICFG     3f631019-01                            512M /boot/firmware
└─mmcblk0p2 ext4   armbi_root 3f631019-02                             29G /var/log.hdd
                                                                          /
zram0       swap                                                     1,8G [SWAP]
zram1       ext4   log2ram                                            50M /var/log
zram2                                                                  0B 


As you can see, my nvme drive has no partitions. 

 

4. run armbian-install

image.png

 

5. Error recreated

image.png

 

Working on a fix.

  • Author

working on a fix? really wow thank you. I guess you know more than me but the issue is that the installer doesn't support the way raspberry pi installs only those that are displayed in the error. 

Edited by M00nM00n

  • Author
  • Solution

ohhh for those who read this and have/had the same problem. I needed to do sudo armbian-upgrade (that updated the sd cards os to have the new patch) then I could do armbian-install. Also I got to choose between boot native on the new drive or with the sd card. My case I NEED to boot through the sd card to have the hand off with cmdline.txt

Look at this! the new install on the sda does not have a boot vfat RPICFG not duplicate labels or uuids the sd card has the /boot/firmware is still on the sd card. Going to see that after the reboot if that changes.. it did! look and it switched it to /boot/media/boot-media

this is interesting though, it changed the cmdline.txt to something i have no clue what. going to reboot and see what that is, not messing with that yet.
sudo nano /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt   root=UUID=643c87dd-4d14-42bf-a892-0a6e3ee044ea

 

ahh added uuid to the lsblk and there it is! its the uuid of sda1! Read somewhere that for this to work you don't want any code that says partuuid but uuid (resync command or something like that). So that covers that as well amazing! 

Round of applause to you Igor! thank you so much for the help! I would not have been able to make this setup work with out you!
 

zack@rpi5b:~$ lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTUUID,SIZE,MOUNTPOINTS

NAME        FSTYPE LABEL      PARTUUID                               SIZE MOUNTPOINTS

sda                                                                111.8G

└─sda1      ext4              d9372f5f-01                          111.8G

mmcblk0                                                              7.3G

├─mmcblk0p1 vfat   RPICFG     3f631019-01                            512M /boot/firmware

└─mmcblk0p2 ext4   armbi_root 3f631019-02                            6.6G /var/log.hdd

                                                                          /

zram0       swap                                                     3.9G [SWAP]

zram1       ext4   log2ram                                            50M /var/log

zram2                                                                  0B

zack@rpi5b:~$

 

zack@rpi5b:~$ lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,LABEL,UUID,PARTUUID,SIZE,MOUNTPOINTS

NAME FSTYPE LABEL      UUID                                 PARTUUID                               SIZE MOUNTPOINTS

sda                                                                                              111.8G

└─sda1

     ext4              643c87dd-4d14-42bf-a892-0a6e3ee044ea d9372f5f-01                          111.8G /var/log.hdd

                                                                                                        /

mmcblk0

│                                                                                                  7.3G

├─mmcblk0p1

│    vfat   RPICFG     2BC3-00C2                            3f631019-01                            512M

└─mmcblk0p2

     ext4   armbi_root dac1d070-1336-47c9-9afe-9b073133f6b0 3f631019-02                            6.6G /boot

                                                                                                        /media/boot-media

zram0

     swap              ce5ea331-4cc3-43cb-9a5d-2abcccbf35e8                                        3.9G [SWAP]

zram1

     ext4   log2ram    b6aac3b0-85de-4f55-be3b-fb4e3b025461                                         50M /var/log

zram2

                                                  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.