Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Armbian on external USB SSD

Featured Replies

Hi

 

I managed to get armbian on my Amlogic S905W device.

I'd like to run the whole root fs on an external usb device (ssd).

I know how to format it to ext4, mount it, but I can't manage to boot linux on it :

I tried to modify the /etc/fstab file, but it seems that it's not the good place ?

Perhaps a file in /boot ?

  • Author

Hmmm Good question !

I don't know, I suppose in some /dev/mmc.... device ? It's the stock image (an x96 mini tv box)

 

I'm very comfident with linux on desktop, servers and rpi, but not with this kind of devices (uboot ?)

 

s905_autoscript contains :

setenv initrd_loadaddr "0x13000000"
setenv init_hdmi "logo=osd1,loaded,${fb_addr},${hdmimode} vout=${hdmimode},enable"
setenv condev "console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0"
setenv bootargs "root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw ${init_hdmi} ${condev} fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 mac=${mac}"
setenv boot_start booti ${kernel_loadaddr} ${initrd_loadaddr} ${dtb_mem_addr}
if fatload usb 0 ${initrd_loadaddr} uInitrd; then if fatload usb 0 ${kernel_loadaddr} zImage; then if fatload usb 0 ${dtb_mem_addr} dtb.img; then run boot_start; else store dtb read ${dtb_mem_addr}; run boot_start;fi;fi;fi;
if fatload usb 1 ${initrd_loadaddr} uInitrd; then if fatload usb 1 ${kernel_loadaddr} zImage; then if fatload usb 1 ${dtb_mem_addr} dtb.img; then run boot_start; else store dtb read ${dtb_mem_addr}; run boot_start;fi;fi;fi;
if fatload usb 2 ${initrd_loadaddr} uInitrd; then if fatload usb 2 ${kernel_loadaddr} zImage; then if fatload usb 2 ${dtb_mem_addr} dtb.img; then run boot_start; else store dtb read ${dtb_mem_addr}; run boot_start;fi;fi;fi;
if fatload usb 3 ${initrd_loadaddr} uInitrd; then if fatload usb 3 ${kernel_loadaddr} zImage; then if fatload usb 3 ${dtb_mem_addr} dtb.img; then run boot_start; else store dtb read ${dtb_mem_addr}; run boot_start;fi;fi;fi;
if fatload mmc 0 ${initrd_loadaddr} uInitrd; then if fatload mmc 0 ${kernel_loadaddr} zImage; then if fatload mmc 0 ${dtb_mem_addr} dtb.img; then run boot_start; else store dtb read ${dtb_mem_addr}; run boot_start;fi;fi;fi;

 

  • Author

I've made :

dd if=/dev/data of=/dev/sda1

then

resize2fs /dev/sda1

 

edited /etc/fstab to change "/dev/root" to "/dev/sda1"

 

When I rebooted and typed "mount" to verify, root fs was still mounted from /dev/data...

 

Is /etc/fstab really used to mount rootfs ? I suppose It's a kernel commandline option in facts.

I suppose I have to change the s905_autoscript, but I don't know the syntax and how to modify it ? (it seems to contain binary data in header section ??)

On 6/11/2018 at 9:59 PM, napo7 said:

I've made :

dd if=/dev/data of=/dev/sda1

then

resize2fs /dev/sda1

 

edited /etc/fstab to change "/dev/root" to "/dev/sda1"

 

When I rebooted and typed "mount" to verify, root fs was still mounted from /dev/data...

 

Is /etc/fstab really used to mount rootfs ? I suppose It's a kernel commandline option in facts.

I suppose I have to change the s905_autoscript, but I don't know the syntax and how to modify it ? (it seems to contain binary data in header section ??)

I don't understand why you are trying to install the system in eMMC from the beginning and then try to change the rootfs location ? Immediately write the system image to an external media and use it.

  • Author

Sorry :)

I didn't knew I could install the system on an external media... thought I could only be done on a sd card...

 

So, the instructions are just : 

write image on SSD, boot on SSD. done !?

  • Author

It worked. 

thanks !

In facts, SSD over USB 2.0 is anyway faster than internal MMC !!

I run a MYSQL server (for home automation), and it is 60 times faster to make 1000 "insert into" on the database on SSD than internal memory !

 

Thanks for your help...

 

21 hours ago, napo7 said:

In facts, SSD over USB 2.0 is anyway faster than internal MMC !!

I run a MYSQL server (for home automation), and it is 60 times faster to make 1000 "insert into" on the database on SSD than internal memory !

This is weird. The result should be the exact opposite. If so, eMMC does not work correctly (there may be different reasons).

  • Author

I don't know the specifications of this eMMc, but i saw "cheap computers" with 32gb of MMC which was slower than a good Sandisk SSD.

 

 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.