Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Armbian Xenial desktop legacy kernel 3.4.y

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

I have an Orange PI Lite on to which I'd like to install the latest Armbian release.  I had Armbian Xenial installed on the Pi Lite quite some time ago for test purposes and put it to one side while I got hardware for my Pi Lite set up for its intended use.  I wiped the SD card and I was ready to download, install and set up the latest Armbian Xenial on my Orange Pi Lite when I notice the sub-heading "desktop legacy kernel 3.4.y".  I'm not sure if this description appeared previously but my question is does this mean that this version, i.e. "Armbian Xenial desktop legacy kernel 3.4.y", although currently supported is no longer being updated and will therefore reach EOL within the foreseeable future?  I'd like whatever version of Armbian will give me the most mileage in terms of time before I may have to consider migrating the OS to a different edition, version, etc. so checking before I go ahead with Armbian Xenial.  

 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Android3000 said:

I'd like whatever version of Armbian will give me the most mileage in terms of time before I may have to consider migrating the OS to a different edition, version, etc. so checking before I go ahead with Armbian Xenial.  

 

Migration to different OS = going back in time to fully non-supported OS.

 

The reason we stick to 3.4.y kernel is one feature - video acceleration. As soon as this is brought up on a modern kernel, this kernel will be ditched. Kernel switching in Armbian is possible so it's basically irrelevant with which you start now. With 3.4.y or 4.19.y ... if you don't need video acceleration features, stick with Bionic 4.19.y

  • Author

Ah I see - that's very useful to know.   Thanks very much, Igor.  :thumbup:  I will us Bionic 4.19.y in that case as video acceleration isn't a requirement for me. 

Please, can anybody clarify what is current status of HW acceleration? For several days I tried browsing for information, compiling different things but it seems no HW decode for now.

I pretty much don't care about anything but playing HW accelerated video fullscreen on OrangePi PC 2.

Is there old Xenial with 3.4.y kernel available? It is not in archives no more, or is it? Don't care for any support, I need an image only.

Thanks!

Bumping this thread but things around us are moving so I wonder if something has changed regarding HW acceleratioon in desktop.

I am happy with LibreElec for watching video, it works great, but I very much like to use this "orange" as WebRTC client. I tried Chromium on bionic, but the performance was horrible, as expected - 100% CPU and majority of frames was dropped. Absolutely unusable.

Please, is there any "chromium kiosk" using accelerated wayland or something like that? I do not see into technicals, so maybe I am off the track here, sorry...

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.