Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Enable PIDs cgroup

Featured Replies

@Igor, was the lockup after soft reset in combination with CGROUPS caused by too new of a compiler? Kudos for figuring this out!

58 minutes ago, belegdol said:

was the lockup after soft reset in combination with CGROUPS caused by too new of a compiler? Kudos for figuring this out!


I don't think so. That's unrelated and left out by mistake .. I didn't pay attention to that :( I recreated images at the download section - if you can, try them if they work fine for you as well. We can later in the evening do one more update with CHROUPS enabled. (I am out of office until then)

  • Author

Hi Igor, belegdol ... happy new year to both of you !

I see that a testing version of Armbian buster based on kernel 5.4.y is now available.

I have a spare node in the cluster that can be used to test this image.

Before reinstalling the node, could you check/confirm if pids cgroup is enabled on this testing image ?

 

8 hours ago, grunlab said:

I have a spare node in the cluster that can be used to test this image.

Before reinstalling the node, could you check/confirm if pids cgroup is enabled on this testing image


Its enabled on kernel 4.14.y which is o.k. now (we also had some stability issues) - you need to download normal stable images - they have been updated, while (apt) update is not yet available since it has to be tested better, while 5.4.y is unstable atm.

  • Author

I've downloaded the latest stable image based on kernel 4.14.y ... this one : https://dl.armbian.com/odroidxu4/archive/Armbian_19.11.6_Odroidxu4_buster_legacy_4.14.161.7z (build date: 2020/01/04) and reinstalled one of the cluster node (worker-02):

 

pids cgroup looks not enabled :

 

adrien@worker-02:~$ uname -a
Linux worker-02 4.14.161-odroidxu4 #40 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 4 12:41:15 CET 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

 

adrien@worker-02:~$ cat /proc/cgroups
#subsys_name    hierarchy    num_cgroups    enabled
cpuset    2    14    1
cpu    7    97    1
cpuacct    7    97    1
blkio    8    97    1
memory    6    203    1
devices    5    97    1
freezer    3    14    1
net_cls    4    14    1
net_prio    4    14    1

 

adrien@bilbon:~/git/k8s$ kubectl get events -n default | grep worker-02 | grep pids
14s         Warning   FailedNodeAllocatableEnforcement   node/worker-02   Failed to update Node Allocatable Limits ["kubepods"]: failed to set supported cgroup subsystems for cgroup [kubepods]: failed to find subsystem mount for required subsystem: pids

 

Did i miss something ?

  • Author
On 1/7/2020 at 7:33 AM, Igor said:

Its enabled on kernel 4.14.y which is o.k. now (we also had some stability issues) - you need to download normal stable images - they have been updated

 

Are you sure the normal stable image i've downloaded for the test was built with the pids cgroup enabled in the kernel config file ?

 

- pids cgroup has been enabled in the kernel config the 2019/12/13:

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/755388147d65a12d39b31898be29434f999700c8#diff-c793c3265bc32ca486ae790ba3c0ca59

 

- but a rollback of the config has been done the 2020/01/04:

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/c1fbf0ab087e1be71a4b8edcf4736f5a6ffe211a#diff-c793c3265bc32ca486ae790ba3c0ca59

 

23 hours ago, grunlab said:

I've downloaded the latest stable image based on kernel 4.14.y ... this one : https://dl.armbian.com/odroidxu4/archive/Armbian_19.11.6_Odroidxu4_buster_legacy_4.14.161.7z (build date: 2020/01/04) and reinstalled one of the cluster node

 

So this is certainly explaining why the pids cgroup was not enabled in the image i've downloaded ! ... no ?

 

FYI, i'm currently trying (first time for me !) to build an image following this doc: https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Building-with-Docker/

I will let you know ...

17 minutes ago, grunlab said:

Are you sure the normal stable image i've downloaded for the test was built with the pids cgroup enabled in the kernel config file ?


I am sure they are not.

 

What I am trying to tell you is that kernel does not want to accept this feature even select from a menu. It's a bug in the kernel code which I have no time to fix.

  • Author

ok, ok ... no problem :-)

I'm living without this kernel feature for a while and i didn't notice real impact at k8s level except those warning in the logs ...

 

I will try to investigate on my side ...

8 hours ago, Igor said:


I am sure they are not.

 

What I am trying to tell you is that kernel does not want to accept this feature even select from a menu. It's a bug in the kernel code which I have no time to fix.

That, plus the fact that enabling the feature seems to cause lockup on reboot according to the bisect run I did.

  • Author

FYI:

 

- I've reinstalled one of the cluster node using the last image Armbian_20.02.1_Odroidxu4_buster_current_5.4.19_minimal.img:

 

adrien@bastion:~ $ kc get node worker-03 -o wide
NAME        STATUS   ROLES    AGE   VERSION   INTERNAL-IP     EXTERNAL-IP   OS-IMAGE                       KERNEL-VERSION     CONTAINER-RUNTIME
worker-03   Ready    <none>   11m   v1.17.3   192.168.0.106   <none>        Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)   5.4.19-odroidxu4   docker://19.3.8

 

- pids cgroup is enabled on this image:

 

adrien@worker-03:~$ cat /proc/cgroups | grep pids
pids    3    97

 

- No more warning at kubernetes logs level and the node looks stable for the moment :-)

 

I think this topic can be closed now.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.