Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

<$20 SBC For Browsing Static HTML Pages in Developing World

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

I'm part of a nonprofit working on improving access to digital education in the developing world.  I'm looking for a fairly cheap SBC (<$20) that has a HDMI port so that it can be connected to a TV monitor (including old TVs like CRTs). The microSD card will be preloaded with static webpages from educational websites so that students can surf these websites at home. It should also have bluetooth or a USB port so it can be connected to a keyboard ($10) or mouse ($1). 

 

I don't strictly need wifi (the microSD cards can be updated on a different device), but it would be a plus. Another nice-to-have would be compatibility with Android apps, since there are several educational Android apps I'd like to preload as well. It's okay to have some restrictions on usage (e.g. limited number of tabs, videos played in a readable but low-ish resolution). I would like it to be durable as well. 

 

The main competing option is the Amazon Fire 7, which is a self-contained tablet at $35. It has 1GB of RAM and 1.3GHz quad-core processor.  I haven't tried it with static HTML pages, but it seems a little slow.  

 

I saw the previous thread here on SBCs <$20 but thought I'd repost to ask if anybody has more targeted advice for my specific use case. I'm currently thinking of a Radxa Zero or Raspberry Pi W/2W. I've bought a Raspberry Pi Zero but am having display issues connecting it to the TV. 

 

Maybe Orange Pi Lite but the prices are a little bit higher these days with chip shortage.

7 hours ago, manuti said:

Maybe Orange Pi Lite but the prices are a little bit higher these days with chip shortage.

Yeah not only for OPi Lite. I used to pay 10USD for an OPi One and 20 for an One Plus....welp...

Anyway mentioned boards are still reasonable-ish for the price tag and work fairly well.

A cheap Amlogic s905x  Android TV box with at least 2G ram for around ~20 will do that and is better spec'ed than any similarly priced SBC.

 

 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.