Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Loosing my mind over usb wifi 8188eus

Featured Replies

Howdy,

 

I am in desperate need of help getting this dang usb wifi dongle working on my orange pi 5. I am new to sbc and fiarly new to linux. I have tried multiple github drivers with freash OS installs, all to no avail. Time spent trying to get it to work is reaching close 20 hours, across multiple forums, github searches, videos, linux how to site, and armbian site itself. I'm either missing something or an idiot cause i can't figure out this "make" or "dkms" command stuff out for compiling the driver and installing it. My last resort is asking for y'all for help before i feed this thing to my dog... "joke".

 

My most recent attempt is from the git https://github.com/quickreflex/rtl8188eus/tree/v5.2.2.4  with a terminal out put stating

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

root@orangepi5:/opt/rtl8188eus# dkms build 8188eu/1.0

 

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

 

Building module:
cleaning build area...
'make' all KVER=5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588...(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 (aarch64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/8188eu/1.0/build/make.log for more information.
-___________________________________________________________________________________________________

i understand that this attempt this build is probably not compatible with my specific platform, because there is no config for the RK3588 chip in the Makefile, but i have tried countless other drivers with similar results.

 

I feel it should be way easier than I am making it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

root@orangepi5:/opt/rtl8188eus# make all
make ARCH=aarch64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588/build M=/opt/rtl8188eus  modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588'
/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory
Makefile:708: arch/aarch64/Makefile: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'arch/aarch64/Makefile'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588'
make: *** [Makefile:1911: modules] Error 2

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
root@orangepi5:/opt/rtl8188eus# make all ARCH=arm64 KSRC=/usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 KVER=5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588
make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 M=/opt/rtl8188eus  modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588'
arch/arm64/Makefile:44: Detected assembler with broken .inst; disassembly will be unreliable
/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory
(standard_in) 1: syntax error
  CC [M]  /opt/rtl8188eus/core/rtw_cmd.o
/usr/bin/env: ‘python’: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:273: /opt/rtl8188eus/core/rtw_cmd.o] Error 127
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1920: /opt/rtl8188eus] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588'
make: *** [Makefile:1911: modules] Error 2

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

If anyone has instight to what I am doing wrong, other options, or a different driver I should try please reach out. In the mean time i Search further for answers on the internet

 

To anyone that has made it through my long winded discourse I thank you for your time.

 

p.s. sorry for not having screen shot

That should help:

alias python=python3

But this is only small step. I spent many hours trying to compile drivers and make kernel module for MT7610U without success. I was able to do that for different usb wifi dongles on x86-64 platform but not on orange pi 5. 

Kernel recompile with proper config is maybe better aproach. You should also reconsider different wifi dongles which just works.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.