June 14, 20233 yr Now I'm no expert but I got Mate working maybe there are some shortcuts I did not take, but it works great. So feel free to point out any flaws or improve it, #!/bin/sh -vx packages=' cryptsetup libblockdev-crypto2 engrampa firefox ffmpeg libavcodec-extra gufw lightdm lightdm-settings slick-greeter ubuntu-mate-wallpapers-common mate-desktop-environment-extras mate-applet-brisk-menu mate-applets mate-calc mate-indicator-applet ayatana-indicator-application ayatana-indicator-bluetooth ayatana-indicator-common ayatana-indicator-display ayatana-indicator-keyboard ayatana-indicator-messages ayatana-indicator-notifications ayatana-indicator-power ayatana-indicator-printers ayatana-indicator-session ayatana-indicator-sound mate-media mate-menu mate-power-manager mate-sensors-applet mate-session-manager mate-settings-daemon mate-screensaver mate-tweak mate-utils eom mpv plank pluma network-manager-gnome software-properties-gtk libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module ubuntu-advantage-tools gnome-software gnome-system-tools update-manager xorg ' apt update -y apt upgrade -y apt install -y $packages ##### fix 'Software' desktop file so it shows up in the 'Control Center' sed -i \ 's,^Categories=.*,Categories=System;Settings,g' \ /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.Software.desktop ##### no default wallpaper, set a mate wallpaper to the login screen cat << EOF > /etc/lightdm/slick-greeter.conf [Greeter] background=/usr/share/backgrounds/ubuntu-mate-common/Grey-Jazz.jpg EOF #sudo apt remove zsh openssh-server openssh-sftp-server avahi-autoipd evolution-data-server* #echo net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1 #net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1 #net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6=1 #' |sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf mate-install Edited June 14, 20233 yr by Dantes You need the [Greeter] in the slick-greeter.conf ;)
November 19, 20232 yr Author It seems a lot of mate-panel layouts do not work and are not visible in mate-tweak. First I downloaded an old ubuntu-mate 18.04 from archive.org. Then I copied the old layouts from the ISO into /usr/share/mate-panel/layouts And they work just fine on Debian Bookworm (go figure ) If you find Debian Mate too stale for your taste, unpack the .tgz below into the root / tar -zxvf mate-panel-layouts.tgz -C / Then run mate-tweak and select one of the layouts. I must say that except for the older kernel, this could almost be a daily driver. mate-panel-layouts.tgz Edited November 19, 20232 yr by Dantes
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.