Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Problems installing waydroid - missing "binder" kernel module

Featured Replies

Hello,

I installed https://armbian.hosthatch.com/dl/aml-s9xx-box/archive/Armbian_23.5.1_Aml-s9xx-box_bookworm_current_6.1.30.img.xz

on my S905x box with correct dtb and u-boot.

So far everything is working fine.

 

Now I want to install Waydroid, I followed the installation instructions here for debian/ubuntu:

https://docs.waydro.id/usage/install-on-desktops

 

but when I try to start it it says i's missing binder.

 

root@aml-s9xx-box:~# waydroid init
[09:30:45] Failed to load binder driver
[09:30:45] modprobe: FATAL: Module binder_linux not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.30-meson64
[09:30:45] ERROR: Binder node "binder" for waydroid not found
[09:30:45] See also: <https://github.com/waydroid>
Run 'waydroid log' for details.

 

It seems I need a kernel with this module, could it be possible to add this in your kernel to have an easier way to install waydroid on armbian?

 

If not can you help me to compile a kernel with the necessary modules to start waydroid on my box?

 

Thank you!

 

 

Edited by bigboo

  • bigboo changed the title to Problems installing waydroid - missing "binder" kernel module
  • Author

I made some progress:

 

I added ashmem and binder modules using this script:

https://github.com/choff/anbox-modules

 

Then Waydroid finished installation correctly.

 

But the S9xx kernel is still missing PSI to make waydroid start correctly, I tried psi=1 as kernel command-line but PSI is not compiled on this S9xx kernel

https://github.com/waydroid/waydroid/issues/136

 

I don't know how to add this psi module to my kernel.

 

Could it be possible to add all those 3 missing modules (ashmem, binder and psi) to the s9xx kernel config file, so waydroid could work directly on armbian S9xx kernel ?

 

like this one:

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4806

 

CONFIG_ASHMEM=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDERFS=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_DEVICES="binder,hwbinder,vndbinder,anbox-binder,anbox-hwbinder,anbox-vndbinder"
CONFIG_PSI=y
# CONFIG_PSI_DEFAULT_DISABLED is not set

 

Edited by bigboo

  • Author

Do you have some kind of wiki or step-by-step instructions to do this? I'm sorry I'm a noob and not  a dev.

 

I modified "linux-meson64-current.config" with cherry-picked and copy/pasted changes from here:

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/4806

 

you can find my modified file here:

https://github.com/bigboo3000/build/pull/1/commits/9d912af647748d66d0b7029da11039ee634e3dad

 

but now I don't know how to use this file to modify my kernel.

 

EDIT: ok found this

https://github.com/armbian/build

I'll try to compile modified kernel with my fork

Edited by bigboo

  • Author

it works!

I compiled an image with Ubuntu jessie and Gnome

 

root@aml-s9xx-box:~# zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -Ei 'psi|binder'
CONFIG_PSI=y
# CONFIG_PSI_DEFAULT_DISABLED is not set
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDERFS=y
CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_DEVICES="binder,hwbinder,vndbinder,anbox-binder,anbox-hwbinder,anbox-vndbinder"
# CONFIG_ANDROID_BINDER_IPC_SELFTEST is not set

 

Waydroid works, but it's slow (probably because I only have 2Gb RAM)

 

I'll do a pr

 

Thank you

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.