Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

24.5.1 ip_tables: exec format error

Featured Replies

I just upgraded to Arabian 24.5.1 using `apt-get upgrade`  and now I cannot load ip_tables:

 

# modprobe ip_tables
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'ip_tables': Exec format error

 

I’m not sure what to make of it. 

Edited by Koehn
Markdown not found.

Solved by Koehn

  • Author
  • Solution

I changed to the newer kernel using `armbian-config`, and then my system wouldn’t boot off the nvme (or even display on the console). I had to boot off the SD card, and I noticed that `/boot` still had the old images on it. I ran `armbian-config` from the SD card changed the kernel from there; that updated the `/boot` volume correctly. Afterwards I could remove the SD card and go back to booting off the nvme. Now everything works great again. 

 

Just posting this in case someone else has the same challenges. 

 

Thanks for all the help!

  • Author
Quote

Known issue. But thanks for the reminder. 

 

Any updates on this? I just got bit again when I did `apt-get upgrade`, got a new kernel, rebooted onto the NVMe, and ended up running 6.1.43 again somehow. I had to search for this post to remember how I fixed it the last time. 

  • Author

I’m getting this error again after installing a new kernel (and rebooting). Only now I cannot fix the error by booting off the SD card. When I go into armbian-config and try to install a new kernel, I’m told that no kernels are available, whether I boot off of nvme or SD. 
 

apt-get update shows everything is up-to-date, the /boot/armbianEnv.txt appears to point to the most recent 6.1.75 kernel, but when I modprobe overlayfs I get exec format error. Help!

 

@Igor @Werner

  • Author

For reference, uname -r says I’m running 6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx

 

Here’s what `/boot` looks like:
 

total 79236
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root      213 Nov 26 20:05 armbianEnv.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     1536 Aug 31  2023 armbian_first_run.txt.template
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root    38518 Aug 31  2023 boot.bmp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     3820 Aug 31  2023 boot.cmd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     3892 Aug 31  2023 boot.scr
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   245563 Nov 12 09:18 config-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       24 Nov 18 18:40 dtb -> dtb-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root     4096 May 26  2024 dtb-5.10.160-legacy-rk35xx
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root     4096 Nov 18 18:40 dtb-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       28 Nov 18 18:41 Image -> vmlinuz-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17069030 Nov 18 18:41 initrd.img-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  7390784 Nov 12 09:18 System.map-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       28 Nov 18 18:41 uInitrd -> uInitrd-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17069094 Nov 18 18:41 uInitrd-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39287296 Nov 12 09:18 vmlinuz-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx

 

Nothing surprising so far. Here’s armbianEnv.txt:

verbosity=1
bootlogo=false
overlay_prefix=rockchip-rk3588
fdtfile=rockchip/rk3588s-orangepi-5.dtb
rootdev=UUID=f8bd3acd-806b-4fa3-a874-a910d7f30736
rootfstype=ext4
usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

 

OK, that appears to be correct. 

 

Let’s check /lib/modules to see if it matches the kernel version:

$ ls -l /lib/modules
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 May 26  2024 5.10.160-legacy-rk35xx
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 15  2024 6.1.0-18-rt-arm64
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 May 26  2024 6.1.0-20-rt-arm64
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 May 26  2024 6.1.0-21-rt-arm64
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Nov 26 20:50 6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx

 

OK, those seem to make sense too. 

 

Let’s just see if there’s anything else installed that shouldn’t be:

$ dpkg -l \* | grep 24\\.
ii  armbian-bsp-cli-orangepi5-legacy       24.5.1                                  arm64        Armbian CLI BSP for board 'orangepi5' branch 'legacy'
ii  armbian-firmware                       24.11.1                                 all          Armbian - Linux firmware
ii  armbian-plymouth-theme                 24.11.1                                 all          boot animation, logger and I/O multiplexer - Armbian theme
ii  armbian-zsh                            24.11.1                                 all          Armbian improved ZShell (oh-my-zsh...)
ii  base-files                             24.11.1-12.4+deb12u8-bookworm           arm64        Armbian base system miscellaneous files
ii  libp11-kit0:arm64                      0.24.1-2                                arm64        library for loading and coordinating access to PKCS#11 modules - runtime
ii  linux-dtb-legacy-rk35xx                24.5.1                                  arm64        Armbian Linux legacy DTBs in /boot/dtb-5.10.160-legacy-rk35xx
ii  linux-dtb-vendor-rk35xx                24.11.1                                 arm64        Armbian Linux vendor DTBs in /boot/dtb-6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
ii  linux-image-legacy-rk35xx              24.5.1                                  arm64        Armbian Linux legacy kernel image 5.10.160-legacy-rk35xx
ii  linux-image-vendor-rk35xx              24.11.1                                 arm64        Armbian Linux vendor kernel image 6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx
ii  linux-u-boot-orangepi5-legacy          24.5.1                                  arm64        Das U-Boot for orangepi5
ii  mmc-utils                              0+git20220624.d7b343fd-1                arm64        Userspace tools for MMC/SD devices

 

Honestly that all looks like it’s supposed to. Firmware, image, dtb, modules all match. And yet this happens:

# modprobe overlay -v
insmod /lib/modules/6.1.75-vendor-rk35xx/kernel/fs/overlayfs/overlay.ko
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'overlay': Exec format error

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.