Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Orange Pi 5 doesn't boot after installing kernel 6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588 on Bullseye

Featured Replies

Hi! My Orange Pi 5 (no Pro, no Plus, no B…) was running Armbian, the Debian Bullseye flavour. It was running Linux `5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588`, then I installed the `linux-image-current-rockchip-rk3588` metapackage, which pulled and installed Linux `6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588`.

 

Right after having installed such kernel, I tried to reboot the device, but the device never rebooted: it's just stuck at startup, nothings is displayed on screen and the device is not available on the network (doesn't do any DHCP request at all). I fully unplugged anything from the board, including removing and re-inserting the microSD card. The device now refuses to boot since I upgraded that kernel.

 

Armbian is installed on a microSD card so I can modify either the `/boot` or `/root` partition if needed. When I mount the `/boot`  partition on another computer, I can see that the new kernel is indeed there, right next to the old one. What can I do to fix the system to be booting again? Thanks in advance.

Edited by illwieckz

Solved by illwieckz

  • illwieckz changed the title to Orange Pi 5 doesn't boot after installing kernel 6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588 on Bullseye
  • Author

Here is the content of the `/boot` partition:
 

$ ls -l
total 158544
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      213 janv. 15  2023 armbianEnv.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1536 déc.  31  2022 armbian_first_run.txt.template
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    38518 déc.  31  2022 boot.bmp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     3180 déc.  31  2022 boot.cmd
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root     3252 déc.  31  2022 boot.scr
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   215174 déc.  31  2022 config-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   265837 août  21 17:29 config-6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       28 déc.  31  2022 dtb -> dtb-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root     4096 déc.  31  2022 dtb-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       38 sept. 22 09:08 Image -> vmlinuz-6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13690595 sept. 22 08:57 initrd.img-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27254874 sept. 22 09:08 initrd.img-6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588
drwx------ 2 root root    16384 déc.  31  2022 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  7802212 déc.  31  2022 System.map-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  5432136 août  21 17:29 System.map-6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       38 sept. 22 09:08 uInitrd -> uInitrd-6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13690659 sept. 22 08:57 uInitrd-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 27254938 sept. 22 09:08 uInitrd-6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33692160 déc.  31  2022 vmlinuz-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 32948736 août  21 17:29 vmlinuz-6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588
  • Author
  • Solution

Hmm, it looks like I fixed it.

I did that on the `/boot` partition:
 

$ ln -sf uInitrd-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 uInitrd
$ ln -sf vmlinuz-5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 Image

 

Then I could boot again on the old kernel.

It looks like I simply missed the `linux-dtb-current-rockchip-rk3588` package, so I installed it:

 

$ apt-get install linux-dtb-current-rockchip-rk3588

 

Then I reinstalled the kernel so the post-install scripts redo the symbolic links for me (I didn't use `apt-get install --reinstall` because the `/boot` partition is too small for doing that):
 

$ apt-get remove linux-image-current-rockchip-rk3588
$ apt-get install linux-image-current-rockchip-rk3588


And it worked, before:

 

$ uname -a
Linux orangepi5 5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 #trunk.0112 SMP Sat Dec 31 16:41:56 UTC 2022 aarch64 GNU/Linux

 

after:

 

$ uname -a
Linux orangepi5 6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 19 04:05:40 UTC 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux

 

Why do the `linux-dtb-current-rockchip-rk3588` package isn't a hard-dependency of `linux-image-current-rockchip-rk3588`? That looks to be a packaging bug to me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.