November 5, 20241 yr Hi there, I pourchased OPi5 (not preferred OPi5 Pro, because of Armbian lacking support), flashed Debian 24.8.1_bookworm_6.10.6_cinnamon_backported_mesa_desktop, configured (user, switch to static IP, user). Worked OK. Now, ssh'ing into showed "113 packages upgrade". Did "apt upgrade". Download OK, but when applying apgrade process hung twice: - once on "configuring libc", had to power off, then restarted (after an apt-get suggested in response to apt upgrade). Upgrade hung second time (no progress on bottom bar for hours, no new ssh session). - twice was on "configuring udev". After this, board is almost dead: - boots to animated Armbian logo, - then "flash" (the few lines on bootup) "failed" (too shot to see what failed). - then NO normal (text) bootup messages, - then blank screen with text cursor in left-upper corner, switching with totally blank screen (but monitor does NOT go to sleep) - graphic mode? I can remove uSD card (good, Samsung U1, 32GB), but what should I look for? Power seems not be problem, it is on it's own 5V/5A SMPS, heatsinks and fan. Laurent
November 7, 20241 yr Hi, There is a lot going on there - lets try to divide it up into smaller, more manageable pieces: Please report armbianmonitor -u results here so we can see a wide range of performance monitoring and debug results when the box "hangs" can you login to it anymore via another ssh connection? or is it completely non-responsive until you power cycle? does it recover automatically? are you able to connect a keyboard/monitor and login that way? libc is a very important component - it may have been corrupted by powering off just as it was being configured resulting in further unintended consequences. May need to reinstall how long was the hang? some downloads can take quite many minutes to fetch. A network issue could be a culprit here. If it hangs again, running dmesg as superuser, just after it starts to hang, can yield valuable information about problems hope this helps,
November 7, 20241 yr Author 1). CAN'T do armbianmonitor as I can't login. 2). no ssh, black screen 3). I know libc is VERY important, but if it is corrupted, how to recover? 4). during update I left box for hours before concluding "hung" and power off. 5). no dmesg,, can't login. Have only copy of root filesystem on my laptop's disk.
November 8, 20241 yr Get an USB UART adapter to attach serial console. Otherwise debugging is somewhere between hard and impossible https://debug.armbian.de
November 20, 20241 yr Author Tried this setting with PL2303 converter and I am getting garbage in minicom. Should I buy another (which chip based?)?
November 20, 20241 yr Check the video, there are a few mentions of good uart chips. I don't remember.
November 20, 20241 yr Author OK, You suggest FTDI, will buy one. Now trying to "apt upgrade" on 28.8.1 with 6.1.75(43) kernel. Will describe what I did and results in other (mPCIe OrangePi5) thread.
November 27, 20241 yr Author OK - with an FTDI converter I get "normal" (except national chars) output / input in minicom. Will use if board gets lost w/o HDMI video. (maybe trying to boot RT kernel?). Bit apt upgrade this time was OK (maybe because I froze kernel before?). Thanks @Werner.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.