Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

OPi5 does not see mPCIe SSD module.

Featured Replies

Hi there,

my new OPi5 with Armbian Bookworm Cinnamon mesa backoprted does not see my mPCIe SSD disk.

Just got this: https://allegro.pl/oferta/nowy-superszybki-dysk-ssd-512gb-m-2-nvme-2242-9605598735 \ module, but it is not recognized by the system.

 

Armbianmonitor output: https://paste.armbian.com/huhedogene

 

lspci -v output:

0004:40:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd RK3588 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
       Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 89
       Bus: primary=40, secondary=41, subordinate=41, sec-latency=0
       I/O behind bridge: [disabled] [16-bit]
       Memory behind bridge: [disabled] [32-bit]
       Prefetchable memory behind bridge: [disabled] [64-bit]
       Expansion ROM at f4200000 [virtual] [disabled] [size=64K]
       Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
       Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=16/32 Maskable- 64bit+
       Capabilities: [70] Express Root Port (Slot-), MSI 08
       Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=128 Masked-
       Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
       Capabilities: [148] Secondary PCI Express
       Capabilities: [180] L1 PM Substates
       Capabilities: [190] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0002 Rev=4 Len=100 <?>
       Kernel driver in use: pcieport
 

No new /dev/sd* , nor /dev/mmcblk* files.

 

What am I missing?

Is module faulty? (but it is new)

 

Should I switch to another kernel? (Current is Linux orangepi5 6.10.6-current-rockchip-rk3588 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 19 04:05:40 UTC 2024 aarch64 GN
U/Linux ).

 

Laurent

Solved by laurentppol

  • Author

Have no other system with mPCIe bus. Module is just new.

And with this kernel, did You remarked empty output of lspci? So it does not recognize even PCIe bus.

 

EDIT: is Atheros based WiFi + BT card supported? Can buy in Poland for a low price.

 

EDIT2: I do see that there is "official" Debian bookworm image for OPi5 on OrangePi site. Will download and try.

Edited by laurentppol

  • Author

Oooops, Armbian team: "we have problem":

- "official Debian from Orange Pi sees SSD.

 

lspci -v

root@orangepi5:~# lspci -v
0004:40:00.0 PCI bridge: Rockchip Electronics Co., Ltd RK3588 (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
       Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 74
       Bus: primary=40, secondary=41, subordinate=41, sec-latency=0
       I/O behind bridge: [disabled] [16-bit]
       Memory behind bridge: f4200000-f42fffff [size=1M] [32-bit]
       Prefetchable memory behind bridge: [disabled] [64-bit]
       Expansion ROM at f4300000 [virtual] [disabled] [size=64K]
       Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
       Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable+ Count=16/32 Maskable- 64bit+
       Capabilities: [70] Express Root Port (Slot-), MSI 08
       Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable- Count=128 Masked-
       Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
       Capabilities: [148] Secondary PCI Express
       Capabilities: [180] L1 PM Substates
       Capabilities: [190] Vendor Specific Information: ID=0002 Rev=4 Len=100 <?>
       Kernel driver in use: pcieport

0004:41:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Micron Technology Inc 2400 NVMe SSD (DRAM-less) (rev 03)
(prog-if 02 [NVM Express])
       Subsystem: Micron Technology Inc 2400 NVMe SSD (DRAM-less)
       Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 73
       Memory at f4200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
       Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
       Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/8 Maskable+ 64bit+
       Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
       Capabilities: [b0] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=17 Masked-
       Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
       Capabilities: [148] Power Budgeting <?>
       Capabilities: [158] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)
       Capabilities: [168] Secondary PCI Express
       Capabilities: [188] Physical Layer 16.0 GT/s <?>
       Capabilities: [1ac] Lane Margining at the Receiver <?>
       Capabilities: [204] Latency Tolerance Reporting
       Capabilities: [20c] L1 PM Substates
       Capabilities: [390] Data Link Feature <?>
       Kernel driver in use: nvme
 

uname -a

root@orangepi5:~# uname -a
Linux orangepi5 6.1.43-rockchip-rk3588 #1.1.8 SMP Fri Feb  2 21:16:10 CST 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux
 

can't do orangepimonitor -u, response is "under construction".

 

How can I "repair" my (favorite) Armbian?

With 6.1.x kernel I had EMPTY lspci -v! (on Armbian).

10 hours ago, laurentppol said:

Oooops, Armbian team: "we have problem":

 

This is the only "fix" we can finance from your donations:

"PCI support is broken on vendor kernel (6.1.xx) on versions higher then 24.8.1. Use this version and freeze kernel (armbian-config -> system) prior to updating OS. PCI works on other Rockchip 3588 devices, while fixing this on all represent expensive technical challenge which we can't finance. With Orangepi devices we have extremely high negative support budget while your yearly donations are not on the level to compensate this loss. Alternative operating systems that relies on our work face the same problem. We appreciate for your understanding."
 

https://www.armbian.com/orangepi-5/

 

image.png

 

10 hours ago, laurentppol said:

official Debian from Orange Pi sees SSD

 

So does previous Armbian image.

Use provided instructions or only buy (probably a bit more expensive) from vendors that supports open source developers.

  • Author

Hi Igor, nice to see You,

"official" image uses 6.1.x kernel, but switching to 6.1.x kernel on Armbian got worse than 6.10.x (no lspci at all).

 

BTW, could \You provide me (in PM) bank account number (as I don't want to give number AND e-mail to Paypal)?

51 minutes ago, laurentppol said:

could \You provide me (in PM) bank account number (as I don't want to give number AND e-mail to Paypal)?

 

I change the text to:  "we will be able to proceed once your donations for entire project reaches at least 1000 USD per month. " Even this miracle happens, we will still be making a huge loss, supporting mainly subjects that compete with us with our money (Orangepi is one of them, stealing value from us in order to sell you cheap hardware). That far away we are. I am sure GitHub supports all kinds of payment methods and random donations method supports that too. If you ask us to repair something, donation doesn't works. That is a professional service, which are paid at standard rates - this is for vendors that doesn't contribute in any way. Fixing resources are expensive and scarce. This is open source - shitty operation are not Armbian problem, but Orangepi, yours.

  • Author

@Igor, I know, my (future) donations are intended for PROJECT, not question. :) Will try GitHub.

 

Which kernel should work? (exact version 6.1.x) May I "transplant" it from "official" release (kernel, initrd, modules)?

 

EDIT: tried GitHub payment, accepted card *VISA, it's OK :)

Edited by laurentppol

2 minutes ago, laurentppol said:

May I "transplant" it from "official" release


If you would like to use 2 years old kernel with not a single fix applied after initial release, use version of Armbian from Orangepi site.

 

3 minutes ago, laurentppol said:

Which kernel should work?

 

This question was answered on Orangepi download pages. For everyone. To spare answering same questions over and over again. Which is devastating for mental health and expensive when we pay everything and you nothing. Only when you like - donation.

  • Author

Ok, but how do I "transplant" (working) kernel from Orange OS to Armbian?

Should I copy /boot directory and /lib/modules/<kernel version>? Is that enough? Or I need something else? (Other than freezing kernel?).

Edited by laurentppol

  • Author

Have tried. legacy and vendor KERNEL of Bookworm. No output on lspci at all.

 

BTW, how it is possible, that just few days ago I was able to download many images:

root@laptop4 Orange_Pi]# ls -l ./Armbian_24.8.1_Orangepi5_bookworm_*
-rw-r--r-- 1 laurent laurent 7667187712 10-07 22:43 ./Armbian_24.8.1_Orangepi5_bookworm_current_6.10.
6_cinnamon-backported-mesa_desktop.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 laurent laurent 1503183524 10-07 22:43 ./Armbian_24.8.1_Orangepi5_bookworm_current_6.10.
6_cinnamon-backported-mesa_desktop.img.xz
-rw-r--r-- 1 laurent laurent  505130612 10-07 22:26 ./Armbian_24.8.1_Orangepi5_bookworm_current_6.10.
6.img.xz                                                                                              
-rw-r--r-- 1 laurent laurent 1415670776 10-06 22:24 ./Armbian_24.8.1_Orangepi5_bookworm_current_6.10.
6_xfce_desktop.img.xz
?

Edited by laurentppol

I would suggest to try another m.2 nvme.  Maybe a brand like Samsung.  Maybe borrow one from a friend or have a local store that can lend you one to try or maybe buy one from Amazon that you can return if it doesn't work.

 

There are some brands that I believe just "work better" and are more compatible.  There's a saying I remember..."nobody ever got fired for suggesting IBM".  It's the same sentiment.  When you go with well known brands, that are usually more expensive, you usually can't go wrong.

 

I remember other threads, for another board, where some drives worked and others did not.  There were no reasons why this was so.  There were threads that listed drives that worked and those that didn't because this was happening.

 

Just a suggestion.  Might not work.

Edited by ArmBoy1988
Add a little more info

@laurentppol Perhaps you've tried the 6.1.75 legacy kernel which doesn't work with nvme on the Orange Pi 5 like Igor mentioned?

 

Here I have a RT patched kernel with that commit reverted which works with nvme,

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1r76sUsfG_F8pq0pkzzPgEyzqdRG6fGcz?usp=drive_link

 

The current image should be with a kernel from before that commit but I cannot confirm that.

@laurentppol It might be that the links have not been correct in /boot

cd boot

sudo ln -sf uInitrd-6.1.75-rt23 uInitrd
sudo ln -sf vmlinuz-6.1.75-rt23 Image

 

And of course the dtb from the 6.1.75 kernel must be used.

 

Perhaps downgrading the kernel also helps, in case you don't use real-time applications that might be the better option:

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/47090-radxa-rock5c-pentahat-and-emmc/#findComment-206251

 

Edited by royk

  • Author
  • Solution

@Igor@Werner

You are partially right (about broken current kernel):

- with ALL (OrangePi OS - Debian, Armbian 24.8.1 with kernel 6.1.x and with 6.10.x) I do see my SSD.

- there is no support for LUKS in OrangePi OS,

- with kernel 6.1.x and LUKS partition I got R: 370MB/S, W:410MB/s),

- with 6.10.x and LUKS (same box, same SSD) I got: R:40MB/s W:38MB/s. - so an order of magnitude less.

 

Module is SK Hynix BC901 NVMe SSD (DRAM-less) (rev 03).

 

All tests with DD, 10GB file (dummy, from /dev/zero).

 

So 1st problem was hardware, and 2nd kernel version.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.