Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rock 3B armbian

Featured Replies

Hey everyone, was wondering if there was a readily available rock3b armbian image. I have found that the rock3a/3b are quite similar baring an extra ethernet port. So was hoping to see if I could take the rock3a image and make some simple modifications but don't know how. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

What kind of image do You need? desktop or cli? 

As far as I remember I built few images for 3B with both ethernet ports (plus one extra with 2.5G A+E adapter) 

Hi, I am also looking for an image for the Rock3b... the rock 3a image boots, but none of the ethernet port works (I have temporarily solved it with a usb lan adapter)

I am trying to update the spi flash via the armbian-config right now

 

I tried to search the downloads for an image specifically for the Rock3B, but could not find any....

I have copied/merged the latest Radxa rk356x kernel from the official latest Radxa Bullseye CLI image into Armbian Bookworm that runs on my Rock3A and I see there is the file:

/usr/lib/linux-image-5.10.160-39-rk356x/rockchip/rk3568-rock-3b.dtb
 

Same .DTB file is not in Armbian vendor (6.1.99) or mainline/current (6.12.13), which means no Armbian support for Rock3b.

But if you use a current Rock3A image as base and copy that old 5.10 kernel into the image and also put the 'rk3568-rock-3b.dtb' in the armbianEnv.txt, I guess it will boot and recognize all Rock3B hardware.

 

Rock3A images use an extra FAT boot partition, so make sure you understand which files and under which names you need to copy. I mount the bootFAT in a own custom folder /boot/uboot, so I keep multiple kernels in /boot (which is rootfs) and copy a particular one to the bootFAT.

Edited by eselarm

Quote

We have 3a and 3c. What is the difference anyway? Doesn't work with any of those?

the Rock 3B has 2x Ethernet ports and unfortunately neither of them work with the Rock 3A image.

this patch is not yet implemented if I understand corectly.

Quote

Maybe this is why:https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-rockchip/patch/20241220163227.1501912-1-alicja.michalska@9elements.com/

 

As I stated in a reply in that patch thread, those changes are not fully necessary.

 

Boot your ROCK 3B with mainline U-Boot built for the ROCK 3B and ethernet on mainline Linux should work.

 

Use ROCK 3A or 3C boot firmware and you will have i.e. ethernet phy issue on mainline Linux.

9 hours ago, Dragon said:

this patch is not yet implemented if I understand corectly.

Yes. This patch has been sent upstream and is awaiting either rejection, correction or acceptance. Without reading through it properly I assume this is an attempt to fix the initial issue with the ethernet ports.

 

While updating/upgrading my NanoPi-R6C, I see there is now:

/usr/lib/linux-image-6.13.2-edge-rockchip64/rockchip/rk3568-rock-3b.dtb

I do not know if the earlier mentioned patch is included, but at least that DTB file is different from the rk3568-rock-3a.dtb one.

So if you add or switch to the beta repo, you can simply install the edge kernel.

 

And as already mentioned in other post, check U-Boot version. If you want generic headless ARM64 computing, use mainline U-Boot and mainline kernel. You can't use a few things like HEVC, H264 (trans)coding, but overall it works fine. I ran even full desktop KDE neon on my Rock3A, it is good Wayland GUI speed.

I got my Rock3A 1st week of december 2024, so that was in transition from legacy U-Boot to mainline U-Boot and also 6.6.x to 6.12+ kernel. 6.12+ (the rk3588 or now rockchip64) has several great features enabled/included by default like was already always default in vanilla Debian AMD64/ARM64 kernels, so easy to get things working like for PC/AMD64.

 

Edited by eselarm

8 hours ago, Werner said:

Without reading through it properly I assume this is an attempt to fix the initial issue with the ethernet ports.

There should only be an issue when someone use boot firmware intended for a different board.

 

Please read the patch thread, the patch was partially rejected.

 

If you want to do a custom patch just replace ethernet-phy-ieee802.3-c22 with ethernet-phy-id001c.c916 in Linux device tree.

  • Author

Hi, sorry for the very late reply.

@DMC, I would really appreciate a 3B cli image. And if you wouldn't mind giving a brief description on how you built it would be amazing.

@eselarm, Are you saying that I should be able to build an armbian image using the beta kernel for the 3B and it could possibly just work?

From reading the rest of the replies it seems as though I should be able to build a mainline uboot and kernel for the 3B and everything should just work, is that correct?

Thanks everyone

15 minutes ago, aardvark3 said:

@eselarm, Are you saying that I should be able to build an armbian image using the beta kernel for the 3B and it could possibly just work?

Not even building, just adding/installing the edge kernel to a working/running Rock3A image.

On 2/18/2025 at 2:46 PM, aardvark3 said:

@DMC, I would really appreciate a 3B cli image. And if you wouldn't mind giving a brief description on how you built it would be amazing.

 

Sure if You don't mind my PCIE debug stuff and some memory patches, let me put image somewhere and we will see if it's ok, I literally tested only nvme, double ethernet and pcie slots. 

 

ok, done: https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/eb79c889-1225-49a6-a674-947124fa7b79 let me know if it uploaded correctly and work? 

Edited by DMC

just wanted to check if there is plan to have an image for the Rock 3B model?

 

update: just tested the latest image for Rock 3A, and it is working ok. 

version: Armbian 25.2.1 Bookworm Minimal/IOT Kernel: 6.12.13, Size: 266.4 MB, Release date: Feb 13, 2025

 

I will run a few docker containers to see if there are any issues.

Edited by Dragon

As far as I remember mostly works, with single ethernet, 

why not create new build with 6.15 and right dt file for 3B? 

21 hours ago, Igor said:

3A

3a vendor seems to work nicely. Not your images but built from sources just a few days ago. Should be pretty much identical. emmc is not detected. Though is the first time I tried emmc on this board and I don't know if the modules even work.

Edge seems to work nicely as well. Also emmc is detected. I bet the cause of the non-working emmc on vendor is the garbage 2017.09 uboot.

Hi,

I try to compile armbian with "Armbian Build Framework", and choosing the "rock-3a" board.

 

No problem to compile, write on sd card with "dd". I only see one ethernet port.

When I switch dtb file on "/boot/armbianEnv.txt", I see the second ethernet but it nor working at all ....

 

I don't know how to fix this ...

2 hours ago, Dragnansia said:

I try to compile armbian with "Armbian Build Framework", and choosing the "rock-3a" board.

 

No problem to compile, write on sd card with "dd". I only see one ethernet port.

When I switch dtb file on "/boot/armbianEnv.txt", I see the second ethernet but it nor working at all ....

Please post what you used as build command. Or the build log, see instructions at end of build. 

It needs to be clear what combination of U-Boot build and what kernel build. Else no-one can reproduce. I will maybe run a build, but RK3568 something a bit strange between RK3566 and RK3588(s). I use old U-Boot and 6.1.115 kernel on my ROCK3A as else I cannot get NVME+SATA working at the same time and that is why I bought the ROCK3A. SATA + SPI + ethernet should work, although have not tried. It at least makes NVMe unavailable, that was status a year ago.

./compile.sh BOARD=rock-3a BRANCH=current EXPERT=yes ONLINE_WORK=yes COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=sha,gpg,xz KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no RELEASE=trixie

This is my compilation.

 

I actually find a fix to my problem. Like say on a older post, I just change rock-3b dtb ethernet compatibility by ethernet-phy-id001c.c916.

With "dtc" command to convert dtb to dts, modify and revert to dts.

 

After a reboot the dual ethernet working. Actually I can't test if NVMe working ...

 

33 minutes ago, Dragnansia said:

I actually find a fix to my problem. Like say on a older post, I just change rock-3b dtb ethernet compatibility by ethernet-phy-id001c.c916.

With "dtc" command to convert dtb to dts, modify and revert to dts.

OK good that is works now. I did not really read all history. I have a build running now (mainline/edge), but I will again need to dig into overlay/dts, hopefully I understand it now a bit better.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.