Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Orange Pi 5 - unable to detect NVMe drive

Featured Replies

Hi all,

 

Testing this OP5, got a standard M2 NVMe SSD (this works on my OP5Plus)

 

I have formatted to exFAT with windows, inserted on the OP5, loaded ArmbianOS on MicroSD, it boots fine but I cant get it to show the nvme drive using fdisk -l  or lsblk

 

It seem like its not detecting the m2 nvme ssd at all..

 

little help please ?

  • Author

Armbian_24.5.2_Orangepi5_noble_vendor_6.1.43_gnome-oibaf_desktop.img

and tested a few older legacy jammys... same result.

Edited by BOFFBOY

  • Author

tried it still unable to see NVMe SSD....

 

I did notice these two lines when i did armbian-upgrade

..........................
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/regulatory.db for built-in driver cfg80211
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/regulatory.db.p7s for built-in driver cfg80211


update-initramfs: Armbian: Converting to u-boot format: /boot/uInitrd-6.1.84-vendor-rk35xx
Image Name:   uInitrd
Created:      Fri Jan 10 00:17:25 2025
Image Type:   AArch64 Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size:    10490152 Bytes = 10244.29 KiB = 10.00 MiB
Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point:  00000000
update-initramfs: Armbian: Symlinking /boot/uInitrd-6.1.84-vendor-rk35xx to /boot/uInitrd
'/boot/uInitrd' -> 'uInitrd-6.1.84-vendor-rk35xx'
update-initramfs: Armbian: done.
Summary:
  Upgrading: 0, Installing: 0, Removing: 0, Not Upgrading: 0

 

 

 

Capture.JPG

  • Author

Hi Werner,

 

Here you go, that is very smart way of collecting logs. 
https://paste.armbian.de/upuyozujik

 

Btw, the NVMe SSD was tested with windows formatted with GPT NTFS and exFAT, both same result.. OP5 unable to detect it. its Gen3 SSD, pretty sure OP5 is Gen2 but its not the issue here right ?

I just installed an NVME and transferred image using armbian-install and all is working/detected fine.

 

I purchased this:  https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BVQXGS3D

 

I was using image the default from the download page:

 

Armbian_24.11.2_Orangepi5_noble_vendor_6.1.75_gnome-kisak_desktop.img.xz

 

I've found with several threads about NVME issues that the one being tried can be the cause of the issue.  Don't know why.

 

Which NVME are you using?

19 hours ago, thanh_tan said:
overlays=ssd-sata

That is weird; 'ssd-sata' is not nvme. And it is a rk3588s, so which multiPHY is then put in SATA mode? Not the one operating (connected to) the NVMe device one would assume. I do not know HW architecture of OPi5, maybe you lost USB3 function now?

 

And where did you get that overlay from? I don't see it:

/usr/lib/linux-image-6.1.99-vendor-rk35xx# find . -name "*sata*"
./rockchip/overlay/mixtile-blade3-sata2.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/orangepi-5-plus-sata2.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/orangepi-5-sata.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/radxa-cm5-io-sata.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/rk3566-roc-pc-sata2.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/rk3588s-roc-pc-sata0.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/rock-3a-sata.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/rock-5a-sata.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/rock-5b-sata.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/turing-rk1-sata2.dtbo
./rockchip/overlay/yy3568-sata2.dtbo

Or is it renamed 'orangepi-5-sata' ?

Are you sure it is actually loaded?
 

Edited by eselarm

Hi @BOFFBOY,

have you managed  to make it work? 

Having similar issue : tried with two different orange pi 5 , two different nvme SSDs, three different Power supplies up to 5V/5A and three armbian kernels: 5.10 | 6.1 and 6.18 :(

I started to have similar issue with recent rolling release (after 26.2.1) mainline kernels: 6.18.2x, 7.0.x, 7.1.0-rc.

 

https://paste.armbian.com/yobewudugo 

 

The log seems having all previous boot logs of this board and 6.18.10, 6.18.8 and 6.1.115 can enumerate NVMe SSD but others can't.

 

I did a PCI rescan with 7.1.0-rc2 after booting the board and NVMe SSD was found and corresponding kernel log can be found in the 1st kernel log. I have Armbian image on SD card, btw.

sudo bash -c "echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan"

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.