Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Discord/Chrome - Incredibly laggy - Orange Pi 5 Plus

Featured Replies

Hi!

 

On the Orange Pi 5 plus with the 6.1 image (KDE), with a 4k monitor @ 60FPS and 200% scaling, when opening discord on Chrome it gets incredibly laggy.

 

I'm just curious, is this a limitation with the GPU itself, or is this related to something in the software stack?

 

Thanks!

  • Author

I installed 25.04 with kernel 6.1 on the orange pi 5 plus, then I installed vanilla gnome. Then I installed the GPU drivers & GStreamer, then I enabled the GPU in the Armbian config.

 

This works great, hardware acceleration works on GNOME. However, chrome/firefox are both super laggy and do not have hardware acceleration.

 

What are the proper steps to get hardware acceleration (browser & video player) on this platform?

 

Yes I'm aware this is considered a developmental build, I'm just asking for general advice as I'm fairly new to the OPI5+ and don't know the general steps of doing so.

 

Thanks!

Edited by FrenzyBiscuit

I think @amazingfate made a custom Chromium package at some point that included optimizations for rk35xx but no clue about its status. Might be even included in mesa-vpu extension?

Firefox probably won't work since that would need adjustments as well and I think messing with browsers is a pita already.

 

topics merged as duplicates.

If you are talking about lag with discord webpage, vpu accel won't help because there is no video played in discord. You can check chromium's gpu status at chrome://gpu, see if the gpu driver is working.

 

On 6/14/2025 at 12:31 PM, Werner said:

I think @amazingfate made a custom Chromium package at some point that included optimizations for rk35xx but no clue about its status. Might be even included in mesa-vpu extension?

My ppa only packages chromium for noble, ubuntu 25.04 is not supported. While chromium in my ppa only add patches to let chromium use vpu when playing videos, this should not help improving discord webpage performance.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.