Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

H3 Reboot Issue

Featured Replies

Hi All,

 

I have a couple of H3 based boards (Orange Pi Zero and FriendlyArm NanoPi Duo 2). With all of them I have the same issue:
command like "reboot" turn the board off instead of rebooting.

The workaround is to add following line in /boot/armbianEnv.txt
 

extraargs=reboot=warm

 

Running latest image on all of the boards.

 

 

Edited by Geoffrey F4FXL
corrected /etc/armbianEnv.txt => /boot/armbianEnv.txt

I think it must be  /boot/armbianEnv.txt

Besides that, I never had this issue with my 5 NanoPi-NEO boards, originally Armbian Buster, always in-place upgraded. Also 1 now tested with kernel 6.18, no issues.

So I think you maybe need to look at what U-Boot you use, what kernel is it and logs ( all via armbianmonitor -u )

Edited by eselarm
typo

I do not see something clearly wrong, but likely is is a newer U-Boot, maybe something wrong there; version in SD-card you can show with:

dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 count=32k status=none | strings | grep "U-Boot SPL"



 

  • Author

Here is the output:
 

U-Boot SPL 2024.01_armbian-2024.01-S866c-P6b16-Ha5c2-V7d7d-Bbf55-R448a (Dec 22 2025 - 03:39:51 +0000)

 

Note that prior to this I tried to update uboot through armbian-install, it did not change anything to my reboot issue.

OK, I have the following in my test NanoPi-NEO (using 6.18 kernel):

U-Boot SPL 2024.01-armbian-2024.01-S866c-P7738-Ha5c2-V2b78-Bb703-R448a (Mar 09 2025 - 03:54:42 +0000)

Same base, but it is older and anyway different hardware, although H3 SoC. I have no more ideas why you need that extra kernel cmdline statement. I think I have seen it as well for another board/SoC, but does not ring a bell.

 

  • Author

The thing is that I need it on different boards .... Tried Armbian Trixie and Ubuntu based, same issue thus it might be uoot and/or kernel related.

Thanks for your help though.

  • Author

Update, this is also working ....

extraargs=reboot=watchdog

UPDATE:  It stopped working after 3 successful reboots...

Edited by Geoffrey F4FXL

  • Author

Today I needed to reboot one of the Orange Pi which is at a remote location....

It did not come back to life.... Maybe some update removed the 

extraargs=reboot=warm

parameter ....

Hello, @Geoffrey F4FXLyou just saved me a lot of debugging time. I have multiple orange pi zero with h2+ and h3 and I had the same problem as you. With the reboot command, the sbc shutsdown but doesn't boot again, i need to reset the power for getting it booting again. On my side , this command extraargs=reboot=warm didn't worked but extraargs=reboot=watchdog worked perfectly. I just rebooted it 5 times in a row and it always rebooted well.  
My version : v25.11.2 for Orange Pi Zero running Armbian Linux 6.12.58-current-sunxi
 

Yes it looks like but with reboot on Ornage Pi zero back. After fixing the problem with kernel 6.12.xx

https://github.com/armbian/build/issues/8197

 

now when we use kernel like 6.18.24 we can not reboot OZPI v1. When we run 'reboot' it is rather to power off

so it looks like it is a problem with Crust

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/8503

 

it wille nice to fix this problem with reboot in kernel 6.18.x like was fixed in 6.12.x

 

I know that the Orange Pi Zero platform is on community support, but maybe there will be a volunteer who will fix this problem.

 

but extraargs=reboot=watchdog  help solve  problem 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.