Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Creating a custom module for LCD

Featured Replies

I currently have a TV box with @Nick A Armbian-unofficial_25.05.0-trunk_x98h_bookworm_edge_6.12.11_xfce_desktop.img.

 

I have installed linux-headers-edge-sunxi64_25.05.0-trunk_arm64__6.12.11 from the same repository.

 

I'm trying to build a custom module to get the LCD working but I keep coming up against a Exec Format Error which implies a mismatch between the build version and the installed version. But I can't find the cause. I have been following the build instructions for tm16xx-display which hasn't been a smooth process. I've had to remove some forward slashes in the Makefile so it would find the drivers/auxdisplay folder and the line-display.mod.c file it created had entries with multiple double quotes that caused errors. I had to change ""LINEDISP"" to "'LINEDISP'" before it would build. I should also mention I have previously tried OpenVFD and come up with the exact same issue so I don't think it's related to tm16xx.

uname - r

6.12.11-edge-sunxi64

Vermagic of the module

6.12.11-edge-sunxi64 SMP preempt mod_unload aarch64

uname -a

Linux x98h 6.12.11-edge-sunxi64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 23 11:23:05 EST 2025 aarch64 GNU/LINUX

 

I have little experience with building things in Linux. Am I missing something simple?

Is "PREEMPT" listed in all caps in uname -a an issue when the vermagic line is lower case?

What about mod_unload?

 

Any other ideas? I've been googling all day and got nowhere. Most results show different version between uname and vermagic which isn't the case here as far as I can tell. I guess I just need to know if it's possible to build custom modules with armbian images or if it's something that just doesn't work and I should forget about it.

Thanks.

  • Author

Some other info that may be relevant. Pretty much the only thing I could find that seemed to indicate different versions.

cat /proc/version

Linux Version 6.12.11-edge-sunxi64 (build@armbian) (aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc (Ubuntu 11.4.0-1ubuntu1~22.04) 11.4.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.38) #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 23 11:23:05 EST 2025 

gcc --version

gcc (Debian 12.2.0-14+deb12u1) 12.2.0

 

@BoringNameHave you tried building a new image? Use the image and kernel headers from that specific build. I believe the problem exists because the DTS source was updated after the header release. 
 

I updated the linux kernel headers.
https://github.com/NickAlilovic/build/releases/download/20250306/linux-headers-edge-sunxi64_25.05.0-trunk_arm64__6.12.11-S62b2-Da873-P6755-C1a9bH02eb-HK01ba-Vc222-B9bbb-R448a.deb

Edited by Nick A

  • Author

I think building a new image is probably beyond me at the moment.

 

I uninstalled the existing headers, rebooted and installed the updated headers and rebooted. The issue persists.

 

I'm just going to give up on it. I don't really need to LCD display to work. I just wanted confirmation I wasn't missing something stupid.

 

Thanks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.