Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Orange Pi 5: No graphics when booting the UEFI arm64 images

Featured Replies

Greetings, I have an Orange Pi 5 with the edk2 1.1 UEFI bios on the SPI, and an NVMe installed.  The BIOS has been set to "Mainline" in the device tree option
I tried visiting here https://armbian.com/boards/uefi-arm64 and burning the minimal current6.18.8 CLI image to my USB stick.

The Orange Pi 5 displays the graphical grub menu with no problems, complete with penguin in the background etc, but once I choose the boot Armbian option, it displays a few lines of terminal output and then the monitor goes black as if the GPU is initializing and a desktop or graphic would be about to show - when instead, the monitor just reports no signal instead.

The system isn't frozen, the perhiperals are on and I can alt+ctrl+del to reboot it.


It's just attached to a very basic 1080p ASUS monitor that only does 60hz so I'm not sure what could be wrong

Thanks for any advice

Edited by snow

I had similar experience, can't remember exact numbers and versions etc as I already considered it not going to work, so did not take notes. Was on NanoPi-R6C, so same RK3588S at least. I think I already had put 'serial' as console in the EDK2 setup (is in eMMC for NanoPi-R6C), but not the older display option (GOP or so, forgot it).

 

For my trial it was just the kernel, so instead of the a latest edge-rockchip64 that works all fine with EDK2 v1.1 in my setup, it was the generic UEFI-ARM64 kernel. You use a full image, so I think something is missing or not implemented yet. Also, my main assumption was (and is), is that only serial console is working for a CLI image. I have always a serial console cable available/prepared, although you need an extra other computer, but your OPi5 should simply run, just display is not initialized. You can look in dmesg, there might be a lot of HDMI debug/info, might also be the kernel and your HDMI monitor experience miscommunication, timing issue.

 

I rebooted again with 7.0-rc3 rockchip64 and that worked again. Now I did some apt pinning so I can install/use Debian sid kernel (6.19.11 at the moment). That works the same as the armbian build 7.0-rc3 rockchip64. Also Opensuse Tumbleweed with its default 6.19 kernel works fine. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.