Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cannot get Orange Pi 5 to boot

Featured Replies

I recently bought a used OrangePi 5, when it arrived it had a working Ubuntu image on an SD card.

 

I decided to format the card and put my own image of Armbian on the card using the Armbian imager. when installed the card would no longer boot. lights on board but black screen no HDMI output.

I tried several different SD cards and different images all with the same result (A1 Sandisk cards)

 

Eventually I tried a hail mary and put an Armbian image on a really old USB thumb stick and it immediately booted and worked just fine.

 

I tried putting the OrangePi os on one of my SD cards for kicks and it gets HDMI output but is just stuck on the OrangePi splash screen

 

When I insert the SD card while running on the USB thumb drive image I can view the partitions and see that the OS image is correctly installed on the SD. 

 

I can't figure out where I'm going wrong, am I having a bootloader compatability issue with armbian?

4 hours ago, SmoothCriminal75 said:

from a USB

this means bootloader in SPI-flash is used

if armbian is booted from sd-card slot, the armbian bootloader from sd-card it used, at least that is what i think

 

so you can wipe spi-flash or wriie a working bootloader in there

11 hours ago, eselarm said:

this means bootloader in SPI-flash is used

Yes, true. Meaning dirty spi

 

11 hours ago, eselarm said:

if armbian is booted from sd-card slot, the armbian bootloader from sd-card it used, at least that is what i think

Yes and no. If SPI is detected and valid it is used. However if this one detects a microsd card with a boot loader it will chain-load this one to ultimately load the os from microsd.

Having mixups between vendor and mainline u-boot and/or mixed blobs (like ddr training) this will much likely cause issues.

Quote

Yes and no. If SPI is detected and valid it is used. However if this one detects a microsd card with a boot loader it will chain-load this one to ultimately load the os from microsd.

Having mixups between vendor and mainline u-boot and/or mixed blobs (like ddr training) this will much likely cause issues.

 

I'm having trouble booting my Orange Pi5 off an SD Armbian_26.5.1_Orangepi5_trixie_vendor_6.1.115_minimal.img. I just get a blank screen.

 

Older versions of Armbian do boot off an SD card, it also boots off NVME.

 

I do have an old version of U-Boot flashed on SPI (Thanks to Joshua Riek), which I use because it is compatible with my KingSpec NVME drives, other versions of U-Boot did not recognize KingSpec NVME, including Armbian versions of U-Boot.  I last tested Armbian U-Boot about 6 months ago, it failed.

 

The Console log looks normal-ish right up to the point it just stops.

 

Console Log

---

DDR 9fffbe1e78 cym 24/02/04-10:09:20,fwver: v1.16
LPDDR4X, 2112MHz
channel[0] BW=16 Col=10 Bk=8 CS0 Row=16 CS1 Row=16 CS=2 Die BW=16 Size=2048MB
channel[1] BW=16 Col=10 Bk=8 CS0 Row=16 CS1 Row=16 CS=2 Die BW=16 Size=2048MB
channel[2] BW=16 Col=10 Bk=8 CS0 Row=16 CS1 Row=16 CS=2 Die BW=16 Size=2048MB
channel[3] BW=16 Col=10 Bk=8 CS0 Row=16 CS1 Row=16 CS=2 Die BW=16 Size=2048MB
Manufacturer ID:0x1
CH0 RX Vref:28.5%, TX Vref:19.8%,20.8%
CH1 RX Vref:29.3%, TX Vref:20.8%,20.8%
CH2 RX Vref:28.5%, TX Vref:21.8%,21.8%
CH3 RX Vref:29.7%, TX Vref:22.8%,21.8%
change to F1: 528MHz
change to F2: 1068MHz
change to F3: 1560MHz
change to F0: 2112MHz
out
U-Boot SPL board init
U-Boot SPL 2017.09 (Aug 31 2024 - 15:22:22)
unknown raw ID 41 18 20
Trying to boot from MMC2
spl: partition error
Trying fit image at 0x4000 sector
## Verified-boot: 0
## Checking atf-1 0x00040000 ... sha256(7612223b82...) + OK
## Checking u-boot 0x00800000 ... sha256(642bfeda4e...) + OK
## Checking fdt-1 0x008d6c48 ... sha256(7b2c4c6dbe...) + OK
## Checking atf-2 0x000f0000 ... sha256(b2af21b504...) + OK
## Checking atf-3 0xff100000 ... sha256(70505bb764...) + OK
Jumping to U-Boot(0x00800000) via ARM Trusted Firmware(0x00040000)
Total: 266.68/489.129 ms

---

 

 

+

Thanks for your help Werner.

 

I'm surprised that the SPI version of U-Boot would prevent an SD Card booting. Once the SPI U-Boot had failed to boot from NVME, USB, etc one would hope that the oPi5 delegated all responsibility to the SD Card, to minimize the risk of bricking.

 

I'm a bit reluctant to wipe my SPI which currently works with NVME. As with SmoothCrimnal75  my  SPI version of U-Boot will boot a 26.5 Armbian SD Card using a USB adapter, it only fails from the SD Card slot. 

 

So I can use the USB adapter for  testing the new release. If I want to transfer it to the NVME, I suspect my current U-Boot SPI will work for that too.

 

 

11 hours ago, NickB said:

I'm a bit reluctant to wipe my SPI which currently works with NVME. As with SmoothCrimnal75  my  SPI version of U-Boot will boot a 26.5 Armbian SD Card using a USB adapter, it only fails from the SD Card slot. 

 

So I can use the USB adapter for  testing the new release. If I want to transfer it to the NVME, I suspect my current U-Boot SPI will work for that too.

Another option is to wipe the U-Boot from the SD-card and just use the SD-card only, no USB-adaptor needed. Then the only U-Boot in the system is the one in SPI-flash. I have done that once on an SBC with no SPI-flash but eMMC where the bootloader is stored. And that also involves GPT partitions and so on, not independent like SPI-flash.

 

But as Werner says, backup is easy. For old 32-bit Armbians, I made some function in my unattended backup scripting to do that, so that after a year(s) or so, I can restore to get exactly the same system (when SD-card gets bad/broken for example).

 

Edited by eselarm

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.