June 3Jun 3 I'm getting this weird graphical artifact on a Radxa Rock 4SE connected to a TV via HDMI. It covers roughly a third of the right side of the display, note that the terminal window is covered by the artifact but the cursor is above it. I started from a Debian minimal image and added the desktop environment via armbian-config. The artifact is visible on both GNOME and KDE Plasma (with fully updated system on both rolling and stable) but not with XFCE. It also disappears with resolutions lower than 4K or switching to tty. Any idea what might be causing this?
June 4Jun 4 Providing logs with armbianmonitor -u helps with troubleshooting and significantly raises chances that issue gets addressed.
June 5Jun 5 Author Sorry, forgot about that. Here are logs from a boot of Debian minimal with GNOME and updated packages: https://paste.armbian.com/eyaxadazow
June 20Jun 20 I see no clear error, only something with hdmi-audio-codec, but that is somehow expected AFAIK with mainline based rockchip64 kernel. I think Xfce is X11 and others default to wayland. You can try KDE in X11. 4K is not fully mainlined AFAIK, but you need to check yourself. You can try an edge kernel, is 7.1.x based, maybe it fixes things. I have seen many such issues (RK3588 SoC) in the past, but thing are remarkably fine with 'latest Linux' (KDE6 1080p60, don't have a 4K monitor/TV).
September 24Sep 24 Author Thanks for the response, I tested the latest edge kernel but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. After some more digging it seems that this is a known issue with the rockchip-drm driver from a mesa bug report back in 2022. It looks like it was fixed but then regressed with a newer kernel version(?). Adding PAN_MESA_DEBUG="noafbc" as an environment variable to /etc/environment seems to get rid of the display corruption at 4K resolution but unfortunately with a significant performance hit.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.