Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Orange Pi 5B on a 2023 kernel, looking for a long-lasting eMMC install

Featured Replies

Hi all,

I've been running the official Orange Pi 1.0.2 Jammy image (grabbed from their drive) since 2023, and I just realized I'm stuck on a 5.10.110 kernel with no real update path.

Joshua-Riek/ubuntu-rockchip looked like a great alternative, but it's archived now, so Armbian is my default plan.

I've browsed a bunch of threads here about eMMC installs on the 5B being finicky, so before I dive in I'd rather ask around first.


Questions:

  • Which Armbian image/branch/version do you run day to day on a 5B, and would you recommend it for a server?
  • Is there a complete, up-to-date install guide for eMMC on the 5B specifically?
  • Do I need to go through an older/intermediate image first, or can I flash straight to eMMC from a fresh current release?
  • I don't currently have a spare SD card, and most threads I've seen use one as part of the process. Do I need to pick one up to be safe, or is a direct-to-eMMC flash reliable enough on its own?


Thanks in advance!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.