Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

no HDMI with kernel 4.19

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

Since I upgraded my kernel to version 4.19 (`linux-image-next-cubox=5.73` when I tried I think) on my cubox-i4 pro, I lost HDMI :

root@cubox:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SPDIF [Integrated SPDIF], device 0: S/PDIF PCM snd-soc-dummy-dai-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0


Anyone experiencing this too ? Downgrading to `linux-image-next-cubox=5.60` solved it.

apt install linux-image-next-cubox=5.60
reboot
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SPDIF [Integrated SPDIF], device 0: S/PDIF PCM snd-soc-dummy-dai-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: DWHDMI [DW-HDMI], device 0: DW HDMI [dw-hdmi-ahb-audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Thanks

Edited by jeekajoo

Yes, I donloaded the desktop image and that worked fine over hdmi after upgrade and update turned everything of and when turned on again a brief flash of startup and then black. no signal. Xrdp works though and ssh too.

 

Welcome to ARMBIAN 5.75 stable Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS 4.19.20-cubox

olivier@cubox:~$ aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: SPDIF [Integrated SPDIF], device 0: S/PDIF PCM snd-soc-dummy-dai-0 []

  Subdevices: 1/1

  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

olivier@cubox:~$

 

update:

After flashing my sd card with the stretch image my hdmi is still not working, i see a flash of boot text and then the signal is lost. Luckily i dont need hdmi.

I also lost hdmi... After some searches I decided to try: "sudo insmod /lib/modules/4.19.20-cubox/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/imx/imxdrm.ko" (If I understand correctly, this insert a kernel module that I did see on the previous kernel, but not on this one with lsmod). I instantly got output on my monitor.

I've also tried adding this module (imxdrm) to /etc/modules. This also helps, although you only get a picture on your monitor when the login is reached... so you don't see startup-messages.

 

Now lets hope that:

1. this also works for you, and

2. someone who is knowledgeable reads this and knows an easy fix (and shares it :) ).

 

 

Thanks for the pointers regarding rolling back to 5.60, I was able to get the HDMI output back.

 

I also attempted to use the steps provided by @InterAct for the newer kernel.  These steps did not work for me.  

 

I noticed in 5.60 that both imxdrm and dw_hdmi_imx were loaded.  Executing insmod on imxdrm.ko seems to work.  However, if I attempt to execute insmod using the dw_hdmi-imx.ko file it fails with the following error:

 

    insmod: ERROR: could not insert module dw_hdmi-imx.ko: Unknown symbol in module

 

Looking at the output from dmesg I see:

 

    dw_hdmi_imx: Unknown symbol dw_hdmi_bind (err -2)
    dw_hdmi_imx: Unknown symbol dw_hdmi_unbind (err -2)

 

I'm guessing this is the cause of the issue.  Anyone else seeing the same or know how to correct the problem?

Just updated to 5.85 with 4.19-41-cubox kernel. I don't see the unknown symbol messages. I do lose the hdmi output though. If I add 'imxdrm' to 'etc/modules', my monitor turns on just like before (after a reboot).

 

6 hours ago, InterAct said:

Just updated to 5.85 with 4.19-41-cubox kernel. I don't see the unknown symbol messages. I do lose the hdmi output though. If I add 'imxdrm' to 'etc/modules', my monitor turns on just like before (after a reboot).

 

I went back to the 4.19-41-cubox kernel, instead of attempting insmod I added 'imxdrm' to '/etc/modules' and it works for me.   thanks 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.