Everything posted by PHLAK
-
Rock Pi S - Audio Support
You can find this information on the Rock Pi S PoE Hat Wiki, but you need to write some GPIO values to enable the headphone jack. # echo 15 > /sys/class/gpio/export # echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/direction # echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/value To persist this across reboots you can create a `systemd-tmpfile` at `/etc/tmpfiles.d/enable-audio-jack.conf` with the following contents. w /sys/class/gpio/export - - - - 15 w /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/direction - - - - out w /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/value - - - - 1
-
Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
I just updated one of my Armbian installs, including the 6.12.22 kernel, and it's still working normally. $ uname -a Linux snapclient-master-bedroom 6.12.22-current-rockchip64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Apr 7 08:08:37 UTC 2025 aarch64 GNU/Linux $ aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: analog [analog], device 0: ff320000.i2s-rk3308-hifi ff560000.codec-0 [ff320000.i2s-rk3308-hifi ff560000.codec-0] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 1: pcm5102a [pcm5102a], device 0: ff300000.i2s-pcm5102a-hifi pcm5102a-hifi-0 [ff300000.i2s-pcm5102a-hifi pcm5102a-hifi-0] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
- Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
-
Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
Oh, you said 6.8.11 (not 6.11). I don't see that kernel available in the repos anymore. $ sudo apt search linux-image | grep rockchip64 linux-image-current-rockchip64/bookworm,now 24.11.1 arm64 [installed] Armbian Linux current kernel image 6.6.60-current-rockchip64 linux-image-edge-rockchip64/bookworm,now 24.8.3 arm64 [installed] Armbian Linux edge kernel image 6.11.0-edge-rockchip64 Also, yes, the 6.8.11 kernel seems to be working (on another device that I haven't updated in a while).
-
Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
Not sure if this is intentional but I am no longer seeing edge kernels when selecting "Install alternative kernels" via `armbian-config`. However, I was able to install the `linux-image-edge-rockchip64` package manually. Unfortunately audio still seems to be broken. $ uname -a Linux snapclient-kitchen 6.11.0-edge-rockchip64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 15 14:57:56 UTC 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux $ ls /dev/snd/ seq timer $ aplay -l aplay: device_list:274: no soundcards found... $ sudo echo 15 > /sys/class/gpio/export -bash: /sys/class/gpio/export: Permission denied
- Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
-
Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
I currently only have the 6.8.11 kernel running but here's the output for that. $ uname -a Linux snapclient-living-room 6.8.11-edge-rockchip64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat May 25 14:28:41 UTC 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux $ ls /dev/snd/ by-path controlC0 pcmC0D0c pcmC0D0p seq timer I'll see about getting the output for other kernel versions later.
-
Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
I get what that means in principle but how do I do this in practice? Also, to clarify, the problem occurred after upgrading to the 6.6 kernel (and Armbian v24.8.2) and was working before that on the stable kernel. I was able to work around the issue (at least temporarily) by upgrading to the 6.7-edge or 6.8-edge kernels but it is broken again on the 6.11-edge kernel. This is good to know, I'll look into libgpiod. Is there any more direction about that you might be able to give?
-
Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
Also, I totally understand the issue of support in open source projects. I maintain open source software of my own and respect the time and effort it takes. That being said I'm willing to help debug this regression. However, I have no idea how to get started other than what I mentioned in my original post (e.g. PR #6886 possibly being related to the issue). If you have any suggestions or documentation I can follow to get started debugging this I'm happy to help.
-
Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
Thanks @Igor, I think I was on the edge kernel due to my attempts to fix this issue when it first occurred so I downgraded back to the current (v6.6.60) kernel. $ uname -a Linux snapclient-kitchen 6.6.60-current-rockchip64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 8 15:28:28 UTC 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux Unfortunately the issue is still present. $ aplay -l aplay: device_list:274: no soundcards found... $ sudo echo 15 > /sys/class/gpio/export -bash: /sys/class/gpio/export: Permission denied $ sudo cat /sys/class/gpio/export cat: /sys/class/gpio/export: Permission denied
-
Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
Looks like this is broken again in Armbian 24.8.3 with kernel v6.11.0 and, even worse, when attempting to install another kerenl via `armbian-config` it says there are no other kernels available. $ uname -a Linux snapclient-kitchen 6.11.0-edge-rockchip64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Sep 15 14:57:56 UTC 2024 aarch64 GNU/Linux
- Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
-
Audio no longer works after updating to Armbian 24.8.2
I've been using a few Rock Pi S devices as snapcast clients and after updating them to Armbian 24.8.2 audio does not work anymore. This seems similar to this old post (fix PR). Also, this PR may be a relevant to the issue. https://paste.armbian.com/aziwayelen $ snapclient --host [REDACTED] 2024-09-17 09-28-10.435 [Error] (Snapclient) PCM device "default" not found 2024-09-17 09-28-10.436 [Info] (Snapclient) Version 0.26.0 2024-09-17 09-28-10.437 [Info] (Connection) Resolving host IP for: [REDACTED] 2024-09-17 09-28-10.440 [Info] (Connection) Connecting 2024-09-17 09-28-10.442 [Notice] (Connection) Connected to 192.168.0.100 2024-09-17 09-28-10.442 [Info] (Connection) My MAC: "42:00:00:00:80:30", socket: 8 2024-09-17 09-28-10.518 [Info] (Controller) ServerSettings - buffer: 1000, latency: 0, volume: 75, muted: 0 2024-09-17 09-28-10.519 [Info] (Controller) Codec: flac, sampleformat: 48000:16:2 2024-09-17 09-28-10.520 [Info] (Player) Player name: alsa, device: default, description: <none>, idx: -1, sharing mode: unspecified, parameters: <none> 2024-09-17 09-28-10.520 [Info] (Player) Mixer mode: software, parameters: <none> 2024-09-17 09-28-10.520 [Info] (Player) Sampleformat: 48000:16:2, stream: 48000:16:2 2024-09-17 09-28-10.520 [Info] (Alsa) Using default buffer_time: 80 ms, default fragments: 4 ALSA lib confmisc.c:855:(parse_card) cannot find card '0' ALSA lib conf.c:5180:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_inum returned error: No such file or directory ALSA lib confmisc.c:422:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings ALSA lib conf.c:5180:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory ALSA lib confmisc.c:1334:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name ALSA lib conf.c:5180:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory ALSA lib conf.c:5703:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory ALSA lib pcm.c:2666:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default 2024-09-17 09-28-10.528 [Error] (Alsa) Exception: Can't open default, error: No such file or directory, code: -2 2024-09-17 09-28-10.530 [Fatal] (Snapclient) Exception: Can't open default, error: No such file or directory 2024-09-17 09-28-10.530 [Notice] (Snapclient) Snapclient terminated. $ aplay -l aplay: device_list:274: no soundcards found... When following the instructions on the official wiki to enable the audio jack I get a `Permission denied` error echoing a value to the `/sys/class/gpio/export` (but not gpio15). $ sudo echo 15 > /sys/class/gpio/export -bash: /sys/class/gpio/export: Permission denied $ sudo cat /sys/class/gpio/export cat: /sys/class/gpio/export: Permission denied $ ls -Al /sys/class/gpio/ total 0 --w------- 1 root root 4096 Sep 17 09:16 export lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Sep 17 09:16 gpio15 -> ../../devices/platform/pinctrl/ff220000.gpio/gpiochip0/gpio/gpio15 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip0 -> ../../devices/platform/pinctrl/ff220000.gpio/gpio/gpiochip0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip128 -> ../../devices/platform/pinctrl/ff260000.gpio/gpio/gpiochip128 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip32 -> ../../devices/platform/pinctrl/ff230000.gpio/gpio/gpiochip32 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip64 -> ../../devices/platform/pinctrl/ff240000.gpio/gpio/gpiochip64 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Dec 31 1969 gpiochip96 -> ../../devices/platform/pinctrl/ff250000.gpio/gpio/gpiochip96 --w------- 1 root root 4096 Sep 17 09:36 unexport
-
How do I persist GPIO changes across reboots?
I was able to solve this by using systemd-tmpfiles to modify these values on boot. Specifically I created a file `/etc/tmpfiles.d/enable-audio-jack.conf` with the following contents. w /sys/class/gpio/export - - - - 15 w /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/direction - - - - out w /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/value - - - - 1
-
How do I persist GPIO changes across reboots?
I have Armbian up and running on a Rock Pi S with a PoE HAT. To enable the audio jack on the PoE HAT I had to run the following commands as mentioned on the official Rock Pi S PoE Hat wiki. # echo 15 > /sys/class/gpio/export # echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/direction # echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/gpio15/value Once enabled, the audio works as needed. However, every time the device is rebooted I have to SSH in and run these commands again to re-enable audio out which is obviously not ideal. How can I persist these changes between reboots?