Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Radxa Rock Pi S

  1. Hello community, I am working on a multi-channel audio project using a Rock Pi S (Rockchip RK3308) running a modern Mainline Kernel (6.18.y-current-rockchip64). My hardware setup relies on a fixed wiring where the Master Clock (MCLK) is connected to Pin 7 (GPIO2_A4) and BCLK is connected to Pin 12 (GPIO2_A5) using the i2s_8ch_0 controller. The Goal: We want to keep the working I2S/TDM master device tree foundation but replace the old, silent dummy codec (linux,spdif-dit) with the actual internal hardware codec (rockchip,rk3308-codec), so that ALSA maps the channels correctly instead of routing them into a digital void. Note: W…

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 644 views
  2. Mainline Kernel 6.18 (Rock Pi S): rockchip-i2s-tdm registers locked in UNCLAIMED state with passive S/PDIF transverters (m0 mapping) Hardware Setup SoC: Rockchip RK3308 (Radxa Rock Pi S) Audio Extension: 3 separate Wolfson WM8805 boards (I2S to S/PDIF TOSLINK), wired in parallel to the primary I2S0 bus for a multi-channel setup. Pin Mapping (m0): Explicitly hardwired to m0 alternative function: Pin 35 = GPIO2_A4 = I2S0_8CH_MCLK_M0 (pin 68 in pinctrl) Pin 33 = GPIO2_A5 = I2S0_8CH_SCLK_M0 (pin 69 in pinctrl) Software Environment OS: Modern Armbian (Debian Trixie) Kernel: Stable Mainline Linux 6.18.43-current-rockchi…

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 735 views
  3. Can't seem to get bluetooth working with trixie and pipewire. I can pair & trust, just can't connect. Failed to connect: org.bluez.Error.Failed br-connection-profile-unavailable Anyone else had this issue? Was working fine on a cubie running bullseye, so next maybe I'll try and older os and see...

  4. When running PassMark on my Rock Pi S running Armbian 25.11, the system completely freezes, including the serial console. The blue TF card read/write LED stays lit, and OOM events are visible on the serial console. This freeze typically lasts over half an hour before the system recovers as the blue LED turns off. OOM events also occur on the stock kernel 4.4 system, but it doesn't freeze. I really don't want to use the 4.4 kernel system, but how can I optimize it? Below is my system configuration and log output: Translated with DeepL.com (free version) pi@Pi-s:~$ uname -a Linux Pi-s 6.12.58-current-rockchip64 #3 SMP PREEMPT Thu Nov 13 20:34:41 UTC 2025 …

    • Reputation Points

    • 3 replies
    • 2.6k views
  5. Hello everybody! I need help: I can't turn on the SPI interface in any way so that /dev/spidev0 or /dev/spidev1 appears. In armbian-config, there are generally only 7 lines in the hardware section, in which there is nothing interesting, an attempt to register spidev in armbianEnv.txt it also does not help, in dmesg and journalctl - silence... Where did the interface go?

    • Reputation Points

    • 3 replies
    • 3.5k views
  6. I am experiencing an issue with my Rock Pi S. When using SPI1, I am not observing any CLK output signal on pin GPIO3_B3, which I have verified with an oscilloscope. Other signals such as MOSI, MISO, and CS are functioning correctly. I have found that this issue does not occur in the older kernel 4.4.143-65-rockchip-g58431d38f8f3. However, when using the latest Armbian 25.2.2 Bookworm Minimal / IOT image, this problem arises. Could someone please assist me in resolving this problem?

  7. Started by Péter Stósz,

    Hello! Stock image from armbian.com; Armbian_25.8.1_Rockpi-s_trixie_current_6.12.41_minimal.img Here is the armbianmonitor's output: https://paste.armbian.com/ikodekuzel The error might be caused by the absence of the f2fs package in the image. root@rockpi-s:~# armbian-install Select filesystem type for eMMC /dev/mmcblk0 2 f2fs <OK> Formating /dev/mmcblk0 to f2fs ... please wait. Error: Filesystem tools for f2fs not installed, exiting root@rockpi-s:~# find / -type f -name f2fs* root@rockpi-s:~#

  8. Hello! I’m trying to get a RockPi S connected by a slow ethernet connection with 10mbps (half or full duplex) but it doesn’t seem to work. If I test with a 100mbps connection, everything works fine and as expected. Using 10mbps, it seems to look fine, e.g. ethtool shows a link with 10mpbs, advertised modes look fine but the RockPi S doesn’t even retrieve an IP via DHCP. If configuring a static IP, no ping to any address beside the own IP address is possible. I’m using latest debian-based armbian 23.8.1 stable and performed apt-get update & upgrade. Anyone encountered the same problem and has some hints? Unfortunately I’m not a linux pro so unfortunatel…

    • Reputation Points

    • 10 replies
    • 6.9k views
  9. Hi, trying to get a bit deeper into Armbian, I tried to create my own minimal Trixie-based image for the RockPI-S. I'm using a Ubuntu Noble VM and I managed to run a successfull build following the quick start guide. However, creating an image using ./compile.sh build BOARD=rockpi-s BRANCH=current BUILD_MINIMAL=yes KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no RELEASE=trixie leads to an image with a size around 1.5GB. Compared to the downloadable minimal images, which have 200MB-300MB, this is quite large. Does anyone has any hints on how to proceed in order to self-build images comparable to the ones offered for download? Cheers,

    • Reputation Points

    • 6 replies
    • 4k views
  10. Hello! Is there a possibility to change the default LED0 behaviour of the RTL8201F PHY? Here is the Datasheet: https://file.elecfans.com/web1/M00/99/0F/o4YBAF0VytaAI7ezABH66fmIRIg854.pdf?filename=RTL8201F-VB-CG.pdf And this is the relevant register: It states, that "11" is the default - but I think it is changed to "00" during driver initialization - is that possible? I would like to change it to "01" - is this somehow possible without recompiling the driver? Thank you! Best regards, Manuel

  11. armbianmonitor -u https://paste.next.armbian.com/hoyonuruye I installed the newest fresh debian minimal image for the RockPi-S and no matter what I do overlays do not apply. I've followed and compiled spi1 and spi2 rk3308. I've also tested the external antenna device tree as I have installed an external antenna: However neither the external antenna is being used nor spidev are present. I have diffed dtc -I fs -O dts /proc/device-tree and they are identical before and after enabling the overlays in armbian-config and rebooting. I was able to confirm the "overlays" work by manually copypasting their changes in …

  12. Hello again, We're already aware of the existing issues with kernel 6 and the audio on the RK3308B. In this case, it fails again in the latest versions... Alsamixer detects the audio card and even shows it in arecord -L or arecord -l, but when trying to record, the error appears: "arecord: set_params:1416: unable to install hw params" The command applied is: arecord -c 2 -r 192000 -f S32_LE test.wav Although if I leave it without parameters to see what it does, it throws the same error, even if I specify the hardware... In the previous kernel (I think it was 6.12.11 (with the u-boot issue in the previous post), the audio worked per…

    • Reputation Points

    • 12 replies
    • 5.4k views
  13. I've been using a few Rock Pi S devices as snapcast clients and after updating them to Armbian 24.8.2 audio does not work anymore. This seems similar to this old post (fix PR). Also, this PR may be a relevant to the issue. https://paste.armbian.com/aziwayelen $ snapclient --host [REDACTED] 2024-09-17 09-28-10.435 [Error] (Snapclient) PCM device "default" not found 2024-09-17 09-28-10.436 [Info] (Snapclient) Version 0.26.0 2024-09-17 09-28-10.437 [Info] (Connection) Resolving host IP for: [REDACTED] 2024-09-17 09-28-10.440 [Info] (Connection) Connecting 2024-09-17 09-28-10.442 [Notice] (Connection) Connected to 192.168.0.100 20…

  14. Started by danj,

    Hi everyone! I am struggling with audio input. Output audio from LINEOUT pins works fine out-of-the-box! What about the audio input? To begin with I have tested the arecord command with these error messages… TEST 1 root@rockpi-s:~# arecord -f S16_LE -d 10 -r 16000 --device=“hw:0,0” test-mic.wav Recording WAVE ‘test-mic.wav’ : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, Mono arecord: set_params:1358: Channels count non available TEST 2 root@rockpi-s:~# arecord -f S16_LE -c 2 -d 10 -r 16000 --device=“hw:0,0” test-mic.wav Recording WAVE ‘test-mic.wav’ : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 16000 Hz, S…

    • Reputation Points

    • 4 replies
    • 4.6k views
  15. I have installed Armbian on my Rock Pi S, done some setup, and then taken an image of the disk to be duplicated to other devices. The problem is that each of these devices get the same permanent MAC address on the ethernet port as the first device. I don't know how Armbian gets the MAC address from the interface but it doesn't seem to depend on unique hardware, or if it does then the hardware ID isn't actually unique between boards. This leads to problems because my device is meant to be used several in the same network, causing collisions in DHCP assignment etc. I have tried multiple workarounds and none have worked well. I tried spoofing the MAC addr …

  16. Started by Meestor_X,

    I haven't been able to find a step-by-step for enabling a USB OTG Network on the RockPi-S. Anyone have a link to the steps? I'm referring to the ability to connect a USB cable between the RockPi-S and a computer and be able to ssh or network to it. My usb port is in peripheral mode and I'm using Network Manager on Armbian Bookworm.

    • Reputation Points

    • 1 reply
    • 2.3k views
  17. Been using 24.11.1 Bookworm for a while, but yesterday did an apt update && apt upgrade, only to find that the resulting image would no longer boot. No "activity" light at all on the front on reboot. Downloaded 25.5.0 Trixie "just to see", but it doesn't boot either. What happened after 24.11.4? Is there something different I should be doing if I want to run a later version of Armbian?

  18. Hi everyone, I've been working with Armbian for a while on my Rock Pi S, I got to a stable situation on version 24.11.1 with kernel 6.6.63 where everything worked perfectly... but recently this last week I applied an apt upgrade, which applied strong base modifications (linux-current-rockchip64 and dtbo going from 24.11.1 to 24.11.3), after applying this update and rebooting, I can't get it to boot again, either from the Micro SD or from the eMMC installation. I wanted to report this bug, but I don't have a TTL cable at hand to be able to do the corresponding debugging... I've tried to flash older versions, or even flash the 24.11.1 version again …

  19. Started by gudvinr,

    None of the images from https://www.armbian.com/rockpi-s/ work (neither minimal nor cli). I tried writing minimal image onto SD NAND and tried booting both cli and minimal from SD card. I tried 2 different SD cards too. Board was connected through UART0 to PC and while I get output when I use rkdeveloptool, there is no output when trying to boot normally. However, latest image from https://github.com/radxa/rock-pi-s-images-released/releases works (rockpis_debian_buster_server_arm64_20210924_0412-gpt.img) does boot if I write it to SD NAND or SD card. I have V1.3 with RK3308 and 1GB SD NAND.

  20. running 24.8.3, and Armbian-install's screen looks like this: Current root: UUID=117b851b-2be0-4bb7-8572-7edce1ef7375 SD card (/dev/mmcblk1) 1 Boot from SD - system on SATA, USB or NVMe 2 Boot from - system on 3 Boot from - system on SATA, USB or NVMe 5 Install/Update the bootloader on SD card (/dev/mmcblk1) I have a µSD card inserted and a 4gb eMMC, but it looks like the names of these devices are missing?

  21. Currently running 24.8.3 and have copied it to the eMMC, working fine on both the µSD image and eMMC. (On the Rock-Pi-S, if you have a bootable image on the µSD card, it boots from that. If not, it boots from the eMMC.) Today, running from the µSD, I did an apt update and apt upgrade, and it updated a few packages (here's the list): # apt list --upgradeable Listing... Done armbian-config/unknown 25.2.0-trunk.154.1212.080011 all [upgradable from: 24.11.1] armbian-firmware/bookworm,bookworm 24.11.2 all [upgradable from: 24.11.1] base-files/bookworm 24.11.2-12.4+deb12u8-bookworm arm64 [upgradable from: 24.11.1-12.4+deb12u8-bookworm] linux-dtb-current-…

  22. Started by Meestor_X,

    I get the following result when trying to run armbianmonitor -u. Is it broken or am I doing something wrong? Armbian 24.8.3 Bookworm CLI on a Rock-Pi S # armbianmonitor -u Collecting info and sending to paste.armbian.com, wait... /usr/bin/armbianmonitor: line 976: iostat: command not found <!DOCTYPE html> <html lang="en"> <head> <meta charset="utf-8"> <title>Error</title> </head> <body> <pre>Cannot POST /log</pre> </body> </html> Please post the URL in the forum where you've been asked for.

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 2k views
  23. On a fresh install from the website on kernel 6.1 bookworm/Jammy when rebooting the board a kernel panic occurs and the device will not boot unless power cycled. This was not the case even a few months ago on a 6.6 edge kernel. I also tried the current edge 6.7 kernel and the board wouldn't boot at all not that I expected it to. The board says 3308B on the chip(samsung memory) and ive also tried two different micro sd. Anyone else having this issue? Serial output is below of the relevant failure Thanks for anyone willing to look. Update: Reboot works fine on rockpi-s ordered more recently late 2023 with non-samsung ram mo…

    • Reputation Points

    • 1 reply
    • 2.7k views
  24. Started by solaris3308,

    I have add user dtbo with "armbian-add-overlay rk3308-w1-gpio.dts" but it's NOT work.Some message is shown as below: pi@Pi-S:/boot/overlay-user$ dmesg | grep gpio [ 0.063257] OF: /onewire@0: could not get #gpio-cells for /usb@ff400000 [ 0.096538] rockchip-gpio ff220000.gpio: probed /pinctrl/gpio@ff220000 [ 0.097838] rockchip-gpio ff230000.gpio: probed /pinctrl/gpio@ff230000 [ 0.099097] rockchip-gpio ff240000.gpio: probed /pinctrl/gpio@ff240000 [ 0.100300] rockchip-gpio ff250000.gpio: probed /pinctrl/gpio@ff250000 [ 0.101462] rockchip-gpio ff260000.gpio: probed /pinctrl/gpio@ff260000 [ 8.818566] gpio-17 (onewire@0): enforced open dra…

  25. Hello, I have Rock Pi S V13 and Armbian 23.8.1 Bookworm with Linux 6.1.50-current-rockchip64. When I change CPU settings (min frequency, max frequency, scaling governor) using armbian-config, the change works correctly as expected. However, these settings are lost on reboot. When I check the status of cpufrequtils service, it seems that it does not load correctly as it is not able to find the requested governor: But if I start it manually later, it seems to load all my settings correctly: Any ideas to fix the problem except manually reloading it later? armbianmonitor: https://paste.armbian.com/owoluf…

    • Reputation Points

    • 4 replies
    • 6k views
  26. Per Radxa here, it is possible to obtain CPU temperature via "sudo cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp". But the following paths do not exist on Armbian 23.05.1 Bookworm with Linux 6.1.30-rockchip64: /etc/armbianmonitor/datasources/soctemp /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp Running armbianmonitor -M, also does not show the temp: Time CPU load %cpu %sys %usr %nice %io %irq C.St. 22:29:52 408 MHz 0.02 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0/6

    • Reputation Points

    • 5 replies
    • 8.3k views
  27. Hi there, I've been using ARMbian for a couple of years now under a Rock Pi S board. I'm using an ARMbian OS image based on kernel 4.4x because it have a virtual wlan interface called P2P0, this allow me to use the board as WiFi repeater, I've written a post about it here. However, in recent ARMbian OS images with kernel 5.x and 6.x that virtual interface isn't there. I see in ARMbian OS image with kernel 6.x that the WiFi Hotspot set up menu in the armbian-config tool show an interface called p2p0-dev, but it doesn't work. My question: why? these newer kernels have limitations on this board? or maybe need to compile the kernel with custom modifications?. …

  28. I tested boot time and node-red-reboot time and noticed that boot-time is with bookworm ~2 sec and node-red-reboot got from 14sec to 20sec. I hope you can improve performance so I can upgrade. https://paste.armbian.com/uhocorarad

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 2.4k views
  29. Is there any existing solution how to use SPI2 on Radxa Rock Pi S? In dmesg I found these messages: [ 1.619008] rockchip-pinctrl pinctrl: pin gpio1-22 already requested by ff0c0000.serial; cannot claim for ff140000.spi [ 1.619046] rockchip-pinctrl pinctrl: pin-54 (ff140000.spi) status -22 [ 1.619065] rockchip-pinctrl pinctrl: could not request pin 54 (gpio1-22) from group spi2-miso on device rockchip-pinctrl [ 1.619082] rockchip-spi ff140000.spi: Error applying setting, reverse things back Is it somehow possible to disable the serial port which is in collision with the SPI? There is a log from armbian monitor: http://…

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 2.3k views
  30. I am working with a Rock Pi S v1.3 and thus far the only image I have been able to get to boot is Armbian 21.05.9 Focal with Linux 4.4.247-rockpis. I have tried the recent Arabian Bookworm, Armbian Jammy and a few other variations I have come across on various forum posts here. With the above working image I can communicate with it via UART and get to the terminal. With everything else I don't even get the blinking blue LED; just two solid green LEDs. I have a few of these boards and have confirmed this issue across all of them. I am not sure what next steps to take so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in ad…

  31. Started by NaK,

    For the Rock PI S, what is the recommended gpio library? I tried using Radxa libmraa but encountered the following errors (using bullseye-stable): $ sudo apt-get install -y libmraa ... The following packages have unmet dependencies: libmraa : Depends: libjson-c3 but it is not installable Depends: python but it is not installable Depends: python2.7 but it is not installable Depends: libpython2.7 but it is not installable Depends: python3.7 but it is not installable Depends: libpython3.7 but it is not installable E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

  32. Using the 5.xx kernal I have been changing the eth0 MAC address at /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ 'Wired connection 1.nmconnection'. This has changed a bit as the versions progress - but version Armbian 21.08.2 Focal / Linux 5.14.5-rockchip64 has now moved the "wired ..." file to the /run/NetworkManager/system-connections/ and suspect the file is recreated at every boot (edits do not stick). I have tried to set MAC at /boot/armbianEnv.txt and in the eth config file. None work. Any ideas as to how to set the MAC address - and is it now even possible?.

  33. armbianmonitor output: http://ix.io/4s3z I'm testing Armbian 23.02 Jammy on a Rock Pi S with its matching "PoE HAT" (which provides a 3.5mm headphone jack). No sound cards are available despite the device tree evidently containing sound devices/codecs [1, 2]. aplay output: rockpi-s:~:% aplay -l aplay: device_list:274: no soundcards found... The armbianmonitor/dmesg output contains the following suspicious lines: [ 24.551148] platform acodec-sound: deferred probe pending [ 24.551191] platform sound: deferred probe pending Digging into this a bit further, I found this root@rockpi-s:/home/dale# cat /sys/kernel/deb…

  34. Started by Armate,

    I have Rock Pi S V13, that has 4 UART ports. I'm already connecting to the board via serial console on /dev/ttyS0. How can I find out what are the other ports assignments/paths? I have tried to use a Python script to detect the output by using an FTDI to USB board with no luck (the voltage and baudrate are correct). The Python script taken from manual: import serial import time # I've tried /dev/ttyS2 and /dev/ttyS4 ser = serial.Serial(port='/dev/ttyS4', baudrate=115200, timeout=0.1) print(ser.name) try: while True: ser.write(b'hello') time.sleep(0.5) except KeyboardInterrupt: …

    • Reputation Points

    • 0 replies
    • 4.3k views
  35. Started by Armate,

    The Armbian 22.11.4 Jammy with Linux 6.0.10-rockchip64 doesn't have the drivers for a USB Bluetooth bought from Amazon. The kernel gives me these errors at boot: Listing the available bluetooth drivers ls -l /usr/lib/firmware/rtl_bt gives me: while the latest Linux kernel contains the driver: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/rtl_bt Where can I get it or how can I install the bluetooth driver?

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 6k views
  36. Hi, everyone I have 2 rockpi s based boards, and I tried to apply an overlay to one. It actually compiled, I rebooted and the nothing more. I connected serial, e it was on U-boot, spitting this: Spoiler DDR Version V2.06 20211109 CHIP ID = 0x00003308 REG2C: 0x00000034, 0x00000034 In 589MHz DDR3 Col=10 Bank=3 Row=15 Size=512MB OUT: sdram_init finish. Boot1 Release Time: Mar 24 2022 08:28:57, version: 1.36 ROM VER:0x56323030, 19 chip_id:330800,0 ChipType = 0x13, 512 DPLL = 1300 MHz ...nandc_flash_init enter... No.1 FLASH ID:ff ff ff ff ff ff DPLL = 1300 MHz sfc nor id: ff ff ff DPLL = 1300 MHz sfc_nand id: ff ff ff NeedKHz=200KHz,…

  37. Good morning, I cannot seem to get the the newest image (22.08 Bullseye) to boot. I've noticed the disk arrangement is significantly different than the known working image I am using. Here is what I see on the known working image... #fdisk -l Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 28.9 GiB, 30985420800 bytes, 60518400 sectors Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes Disklabel type: gpt Disk identifier: 2A33F1A5-75EA-4125-AC19-16C0435D774A Device Start End Sectors Size Type /dev/mmcblk0p1 64 8063 8000 3.9M Linux filesystem /dev/mmcblk0…

  38. I just tried the official Jammy image on the Rock Pi S, which does not boot. Looking at serial, it halts after "Starting kernel ...". I've tried redownloading the image, burning it again and on a different SD card. I also tried the bullseye image, which *does* boot (which makes me believe this is not a hardware issue). Anyone with a Rock Pi S that could confirm my observation? This image failed to boot: Armbian_22.08.7_Rockpi-s_jammy_edge_5.19.16.img Serial output: rock-pi-s-fail.txt This image booted ok: Armbian_22.08.7_Rockpi-s_bullseye_edge_5.19.16.img Serial output: rock-pi-s-ok.txt Diff of serial output (up t…

  39. Started by Igor,

    Thanks to @brentr we got new images with several fixes: https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1269 RockPI WiFi assigned different MAC address on each boot https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1268 RockPI-S WiFi throughput only 300K bytes/second https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1265 Rock PI-S images will not boot from internal EMMC (SDNAND) https://www.armbian.com/rockpi-s/

    • Reputation Points

    • 2 replies
    • 4.1k views

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.