Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[Nanopi M4v2] NVMe SSD is not detected (kernel 5.x)

Featured Replies

Hello, 

I have used NanoPi M4v2 with "NVMe SSD adapter" (Officially sold by the FriendlyElec).

NVMe SSD is detected when I installed ubuntu based kernel 4.4. (FriendlyCore 18.04 or Armbian Bionic desktop based kernal 4.4.y)

But When I installed armbian based kernel 5.x, NVMe SSD is not detected. 

Anyone can advise?

M4SSD_en_04.jpg

  • Author

Thank you for your attention.
I installed the latest armbian (focal, kernel 5.8.6) to upload logs.
And nvme ssd was detected!! I tested the other images (kernel 5.7.15 and 5.4.46). All versions worked fine.
I can't explain why this happened. I'm just guessing it might be a compatibility problem with nvme ssd.

I'm sorry for the confusion to you.

Could be a power supply issue?

 

jsalas@nanoserver:~$ dmesg | grep -i pci
[    0.008528] PCI/MSI: /interrupt-controller@fee00000/interrupt-controller@fee20000 domain created
[    1.483641] PCI: CLS 0 bytes, default 64
[    2.709362] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: no vpcie12v regulator found
[    2.771099] ehci-pci: EHCI PCI platform driver
[    2.804225] ohci-pci: OHCI PCI platform driver
[    3.208966] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: no vpcie12v regulator found
[    3.734680] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: PCIe link training gen1 timeout!
[    3.735230] rockchip-pcie: probe of f8000000.pcie failed with error -110
 

Well clearly is not a power issue. I've installed 4.4 kernel and worked

 

root@nanopct4:~# dmesg | grep -i pcie
[    1.958739] phy phy-pcie-phy.5: Looking up phy-supply from device tree
[    1.958752] phy phy-pcie-phy.5: Looking up phy-supply property in node /pcie-phy failed
[    1.961110] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: GPIO lookup for consumer ep
[    1.961124] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: using device tree for GPIO lookup
[    1.961156] of_get_named_gpiod_flags: parsed 'ep-gpios' property of node '/pcie@f8000000[0]' - status (0)
[    1.961403] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: Looking up vpcie3v3-supply from device tree
[    1.961416] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: Looking up vpcie3v3-supply property in node /pcie@f8000000 failed
[    1.961433] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: no vpcie3v3 regulator found
[    1.961443] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: Looking up vpcie1v8-supply from device tree
[    1.961531] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: Looking up vpcie1v8-supply property in node /pcie@f8000000 failed
[    1.961546] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: no vpcie1v8 regulator found
[    1.961556] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: Looking up vpcie0v9-supply from device tree
[    1.961567] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: Looking up vpcie0v9-supply property in node /pcie@f8000000 failed
[    1.961581] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: no vpcie0v9 regulator found
[    1.961591] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: no bus-scan-delay-ms in device tree, default 0 ms
[    1.961601] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: missing "memory-region" property
[    1.961617] PCI host bridge /pcie@f8000000 ranges:
[    2.106173] rockchip-pcie f8000000.pcie: PCI host bridge to bus 0000:00
[    2.113740] pcieport 0000:00:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[    2.114038] pcieport 0000:00:00.0: Signaling PME through PCIe PME interrupt
[    2.114051] pci 0000:01:00.0: Signaling PME through PCIe PME interrupt
[    2.114067] pcie_pme 0000:00:00.0:pcie01: service driver pcie_pme loaded
[    2.114204] aer 0000:00:00.0:pcie02: service driver aer loaded

 

root@nanopct4:~$ lsblk 
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk1      179:0    0  14.6G  0 disk 
└─mmcblk1p1  179:1    0  14.4G  0 part 
mmcblk1boot0 179:32   0     4M  1 disk 
mmcblk1boot1 179:64   0     4M  1 disk 
mmcblk1rpmb  179:96   0     4M  0 disk 
mmcblk0      179:128  0   7.5G  0 disk 
└─mmcblk0p1  179:129  0   7.3G  0 part /
zram0        252:0    0    50M  0 disk /var/log
zram1        252:1    0     1G  0 disk [SWAP]
zram2        252:2    0     1G  0 disk /tmp
nvme0n1      259:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1  259:1    0   450G  0 part 
├─nvme0n1p2  259:2    0   400G  0 part 
└─nvme0n1p3  259:3    0  81.5G  0 part 

 

@i5Js maybe similar issue with the one we encounter on Helios64.

The PCIe SATA controller failed in PCIe Gen1 training if Linux kernel do a reset through ep-gpio.

 

you can try to remove ep-gpios on nano pi device tree like in this commit:

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/2213/files#diff-f8fb8dd7f6933c824a8b57561c4ed874d35aae33928cc1b5c797ae5d035a3cddR19

 

 

Sorry to bump this topic again, I'm trying to use kernel 5 in my nanopc-t4, but is still not detecting the nvme. How can I apply that patch?

 

Thanks.

I’ve tried with the kernel 5.10.0-RC7, and It’s detected again.... I would like to know which are the differences with the stable kernel :)

I have experienced exactly the same issue on a NanoPC T4. Switching back to an older kernel solved the problem, so it is clearly something recently introduced. I hope that we will get it fixed.

Now it's working with kernel 5.10.12 

 

i5Js@noldork3sN2:~$ lsblk 
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk2      179:0    0  14.6G  0 disk 
└─mmcblk2p1  179:1    0  14.4G  0 part /
mmcblk2boot0 179:32   0     4M  1 disk 
mmcblk2boot1 179:64   0     4M  1 disk 
zram0        252:0    0   1.9G  0 disk [SWAP]
zram1        252:1    0    50M  0 disk /var/log
nvme0n1      259:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 

 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:34 PM, i5Js said:

I’m on 5.8.14 and my nvme is not detected.... It was working fine till I updated to that kernel version

 

The logs are uploaded to http://ix.io/2ATb

 

Many thanks....

I have encounter  the  same problem  on my nanopc 4 with  bookworm 6.1.30.

On 2/25/2021 at 1:00 AM, i5Js said:

Now it's working with kernel 5.10.12 

hi,friend. i wonder to know have you tested the armbian 23.81 bookworm 6.1.50 wether the m2 nvme ssd works well?

Hi all,

 

best wishes and a better new year 2024.

I gave it a try with 6+ Kernels.

Unfortunately none worked.

With latest version even USB Keyboard didn't work.

As I have not enough skills to experiment with kernel-building I would appreciate some help.

I could make free one Nanopi M4 V2 for testing.

 

 

Meanwhile I tested latest 5.15 and 5.10 Kernel with the result that NVME didn't show up in lsblk.

Hopin NicoD will help.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.