Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Recover C2; uInitrd missing?

Featured Replies

A few weeks ago, after a firmware-upgrade my C2 bricked. It's blue led didn't flash any more and no serial console was available. Since I had everything setup just right I wanted to recover it using these steps here: https://docs.armbian.com/User-Guide_Recovery/#replacing-boot

 

Off course I replaced the packages with the ones for the C2. Specifically:

 

After following all the steps, I don't seem to have an uInitrd. I don't know if that would help booting up again, but from the symlinks section it's the only file missing after following all the steps:

 

image.png.29f96067c805301a2a315d9334354626.png

Does anybody know what went wrong or guide me towards the right steps to recover my C2?

Generally, installing a kernel package triggers initramfs rebuild, but it's possible something got stuck or failed. This may not be your only issue.

 

Something you can try:

 

$ sudo apt-get install binfmt-support
$ sudo chroot /mnt/sdcard
# update-initramfs -u -k 5.9.14-meson64
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.9.14-meson64
W: Couldn't identify type of root file system for fsck hook
update-initramfs: Converting to u-boot format

 

If that doesn't work, and you're feeling adventurous, steal the kernel and boot environment from a known good Armbian image? Note the trailing slashes after the rsync arguments.

 

$ sudo kpartx -av Armbian_20.11.7_Odroidc4_focal_current_5.9.14.img
add map loop10p1 (253:1): 0 3088384 linear 7:11 8192
$ sudo mkdir /mnt/image
$ sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop10p1 /mnt/image
$ sudo rsync -av /mnt/image/boot/ /mnt/sdcard/boot/
$ sudo rsync -av /mnt/image/lib/modules/ /mnt/sdcard/lib/modules/
$ sudo umount /mnt/image
$ sudo kpartx -dv Armbian_20.11.7_Odroidc4_focal_current_5.9.14.img

 

Edited by tparys
Missed a step

  • Author

Thanks for this :) Too bad in no cases my C2 wants to boot up :( I guess I should burn a new image all together. I still don't understand what went wrong during that last update... Guess I'm happy that I still can access the files on the eMMC card.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.