Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Random reboots

Featured Replies

Hi,

 

I'm very pleased with my Helios 64, but since I updated to Armbian 20.11.6 (from 20.08.11 or 21, not really sure) it reboots at random times: it can run fine for over two weeks and reboot twice in 36 hours, always when idling.

It's running OMV as well a multiple Docker containers: PiHole, Wireguard, Nginx, Transmission, restic-server and n8n.

 

Is it a common issue? What fixes do you recommend? What should I look for to diagnose the issue?

 

Thank you.

 

Edit: forgot to mention that I'm using SnapRAID and mergerFS, as well as NFS shares.

Edited by Guest

Oh, I didn't know about this utility. Here are the logs: http://ix.io/2Ok2

It happened again.

Should I try updating to the Armbian version that jiust came out?
When should I run armbianmonitor (whenever I can or just after a reboot?) and what should I be looking for (because nothing seems odd to me, but I'm not that of an advanced user)

 

Thanks !

@axeleroy

Hi, could try to the following tweak and then report to us if it helps stabilizing your system.

 

Run armbian-config, go to -> System -> CPU

 

And set:

Minimum CPU speed = 1200000

Maximum CPU speed = 1200000

CPU governor = performance

 

 

Updating to the latest Armbian seems to have improved stability, though it has only been 72 hours since the update, I might be talking too quickly.

 

@gprovost Do I need rebooting after applying this configuration? Out of curiosity: how does it improve stability?

Am 8.2.2021 um 04:25 schrieb gprovost:

@axeleroy

Hi, could try to the following tweak and then report to us if it helps stabilizing your system.

 

Run armbian-config, go to -> System -> CPU

 

And set:

Minimum CPU speed = 1200000

Maximum CPU speed = 1200000

CPU governor = performance

 

 

 

Does it make a difference which minimum Speed is used? I would prefer to set the lowest CPU Speed as minimum to save energy use when there is low CPU usage.

 

@Eric Poscher-Mika Doesn't matter which speed you choose, the purpose of this temporary workaround is to disable variable frequency and use a fixed one. So you can choose the lowest if it fulfills your needs in term of compute power.

 

Hi, quick update: no reboots in the two weeks following the frequency tweak. Reboot still happened shortly after my February 11 post (but before I applied gprovost's advice).

Am 8.2.2021 um 04:25 schrieb gprovost:

@axeleroy

Hi, could try to the following tweak and then report to us if it helps stabilizing your system.

 

Run armbian-config, go to -> System -> CPU

 

And set:

Minimum CPU speed = 1200000

Maximum CPU speed = 1200000

CPU governor = performance

 

 

I had a similar issue with random reboots. Did DM @axelroy directly and also "tweaked" the system.

 

I am running the helios now for almost 2 weeks without issues with the following settings:

Min CPU speed = 400 MHz

Max CPU speed = 1400 MHz

CPU governor = on demand

 

So it seems that the helios was rebooting when having to deal with intensive tasks - in my case: performing a SnapRAID scrub. Anyhow: Now I am at maximum speed of 1400MHz whereas the helios could perform even on 1800MHz. The question is if this is a problem by design? Or is there a way to fix it in order to let the machine run full CPU speed and performance governor? I am happy with the machine, no doubt, at the end this is rather a question of how I can achieve the maximum speed if needed.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.