Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[Resolved] No "netdev" trigger option for network LED

Featured Replies

Hi all.

Some time ago, in the release notes of a past Armbian version, I remember reading that the network LED should now be enabled by default and associated with eth0.

Despite always keeping my Helios64 as up-to-date as possible, mine never lit up, but I didn't think much of it. Today I decided to investigate why, and I'm not sure where to go from here.

 

First things first, the LED works, it's not a hardware issue. I can echo 1 and 0 to the LED path (/sys/class/leds/helios64:blue:net/brightness) and it lights on and off as expected.

 

From what I can tell, this LED, along with the heartbeat one, is enabled by the Systemd unit helios64-heartbeat-led.service. When I check for the status of the unit, I get the following output:

● helios64-heartbeat-led.service - Enable heartbeat & network activity led on Helios64
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/helios64-heartbeat-led.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2021-03-13 00:30:52 GMT; 8min ago
  Process: 3740 ExecStart=/usr/bin/bash -c echo heartbeat | tee /sys/class/leds/helios64\:\:status/trigger (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 3744 ExecStart=/usr/bin/bash -c echo netdev | tee /sys/class/leds/helios64\:blue\:net/trigger (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 3744 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 13 00:30:52 nas.lan systemd[1]: Starting Enable heartbeat & network activity led on Helios64...
Mar 13 00:30:52 nas.lan bash[3740]: heartbeat
Mar 13 00:30:52 nas.lan bash[3744]: netdev
Mar 13 00:30:52 nas.lan bash[3744]: tee: '/sys/class/leds/helios64:blue:net/trigger': Invalid argument
Mar 13 00:30:52 nas.lan systemd[1]: helios64-heartbeat-led.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Mar 13 00:30:52 nas.lan systemd[1]: helios64-heartbeat-led.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Mar 13 00:30:52 nas.lan systemd[1]: Failed to start Enable heartbeat & network activity led on Helios64.

 

Looking into the unit's source, I can see the line where this fails:

ExecStart=bash -c 'echo netdev | tee /sys/class/leds/helios64\\:blue\\:net/trigger'

 

And sure enough, there is no "netdev" inside /sys/class/leds/helios64:blue:net/trigger:

$ cat /sys/class/leds/helios64:blue:net/trigger
[none] usb-gadget usb-host kbd-scrolllock kbd-numlock kbd-capslock kbd-kanalock kbd-shiftlock kbd-altgrlock kbd-ctrllock kbd-altlock kbd-shiftllock kbd-shiftrlock kbd-ctrlllock kbd-ctrlrlock usbport mmc1 mmc2 disk-activity disk-read disk-write ide-disk mtd nand-disk heartbeat cpu cpu0 cpu1 cpu2 cpu3 cpu4 cpu5 activity default-on panic stmmac-0:00:link stmmac-0:00:1Gbps stmmac-0:00:100Mbps stmmac-0:00:10Mbps rc-feedback gpio-charger-online tcpm-source-psy-4-0022-online

 

I'm not sure why it's not there or how does that get populated.

I'm running Armbian Buster 21.02.3 with LK 5.10.21-rockchip64. Any help will be much appreciated.

  • antsu changed the title to [Resolved] No "netdev" trigger option for network LED
  • Author

So, I went hunting for the PR where this got merged, found the reference to kernel module "ledtrig-netdev", noticed the module wasn't loaded on my Helios 64 (no idea why), loaded it via modprobe, restarted the service unit I mentioned in the post above, and now it works.

I've added ledtrig-netdev to /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf, so now it should hopefully work automagically on every boot.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.