November 3, 20223 yr Helios4 can boot directly from the sata disk nr 1, without the need to switch from the SD or the eMMC. I personally tried setting SW1 to 11100 and using u-boot-sata for Clearfog, which shares the same uSOM and the system booted regularly, obviously the system didn't recognize many devices being u-boot for another board. I tried to compile a version of u-boot for sata trying to integrate the changes present in https://solidrun.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/developer/pages/287212134/A38X+U-Boot in the U-boot build instruction and sources for Helios4 present in the Kobol Wiki but my skills are not sufficient for such a job. In the binaries available for Helios4 at https://imola.armbian.com/beta/pool/main/l/linux-u-boot-helios4-current/ there are only u-boots for uart, flash and mmc. Would it be possible to have the sata version in future releases? Thanks in advance and for all the work done.
November 5, 20223 yr Yeah that should be no problem. Just compare these two files: (Clearfog configuration) https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/sources/families/include/mvebu-clearfog.inc (Helios4 configuration) https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/sources/families/include/mvebu-helios4.inc Just provide a PR with added targets here https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/sources/families/include/mvebu-helios4.inc#L11 Test it by building locally and we'll have sata uboot on the next release.
December 11, 20223 yr Author I tried to modify configuration but unlucky it's not sufficient and I got error that I'm unable to fix. LD spl/u-boot-spl OBJCOPY spl/u-boot-spl-nodtb.bin CAT spl/u-boot-spl-dtb.bin COPY spl/u-boot-spl.bin MKIMAGE u-boot-spl.kwb CFGCHK u-boot.cfg [ error ] ERROR in function compile_uboot [ functions/cli/cli-entrypoint.sh:108 -> functions/main/default-build.sh:55 -> functions/compilation/uboot.sh:145 -> functions/logging/traps.sh:0 ] [ error ] U-boot file not found [ u-boot-sata.kwb ] [ o.k. ] Process terminated
January 3, 20233 yr Ok I checked this and there is no uboot config for 2019 uboot helios4 which has SATA support enabled. Not sure how to best go forth here.
February 13, 20233 yr I am curious why upstream UBoot is not used. It has support or the Helios 4. Plus a bugfix for that RAM timing issue that shows up on boot.
February 13, 20233 yr 4 hours ago, Mangix said: I am curious why Because nobody volunteered to try, check for possible regressions and submit changes? From project perspective, if @Heisathdon't have much time and interest, there is nothing we can do as project is way way too small to follow endless users & HW needs. We don't have a backup.
February 13, 20233 yr @Mangix because u-boot was maintained by the kobol team, which have given up supporting both their boards. I do not currently have the time to switch to another u-boot and test / fix upgrade and new image scenarios. But there are only a few patches https://github.com/armbian/build/tree/master/patch/u-boot/legacy/u-boot-helios4 and so it might be possible to go upstream. You are welcome to try and send a patch. I might also try, once I find time + motivation for it.
March 26, 20233 yr Upstream u-boot (in its next branch) has now lot of 32-bit armada / mvebu patches related to SD/eMMC, SATA and UART booting. Also on mailing list are waiting some Clearfog eMMC patches. Likely you should take Helios patches and put then on top of the u-boot next.
June 6, 20233 yr As I mentioned, OpenWrt maintains upstream u-boot with a build for the helios4. Necessary patches can be taken from there.
November 5, 2025Nov 5 On 6/6/2023 at 4:10 PM, Mangix said: As I mentioned, OpenWrt maintains upstream u-boot with a build for the helios4. Necessary patches can be taken from there. Mangix, are you still around? Where is the code you are referring to in openwrt? I see exactly one commit in 2020 about the Helios4 and then nothing after that. I also don't see any specific patches applied.
November 16, 2025Nov 16 @laibsch https://u-boot.org/ edit: as I said earlier, it would be better to switch to upstream to get rid of patches and get some nice bugfixes in the process, but I assume this thing is mostly abandoned. A bunch of my containers no longer offer ARM32 support. Home Assistant too at the end of this year. Edited November 16, 2025Nov 16 by Mangix
December 6, 2025Dec 6 @laibschcoud you take a look at https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/commit/cae6e8993c8eaed7c520b1046766b658e0f97b90 https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/commit/aec83261b98eec3a2ca2e9a5a2debea31fcd9d65 https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/commit/529d24002b6cefb88cd00cef307b8752dbeebfc4 Maybe relevant for the first patch.
December 6, 2025Dec 6 Thank you, @Mangix. We bumped u-boot to v2025.10 for Helios, so I would assume those commits are already incorporated, aren't they? I have only looked at commit dates, not actual code.
December 13, 2025Dec 13 Hi there, I also tried to see what happens when I set the DIP to SATA0, but to my surprise, the serial console does not give any indication of a boot attempt from SATA: BootROM - 1.73 Booting from SPI flash BootROM: Bad header at offset D4000000 BootROM: Bad header at offset D4200000 BootROM: Bad header at offset D4400000 BootROM: Bad header at offset D4600000 BootROM: Bad header at offset D4800000 BootROM: Bad header at offset D4A00000 BootROM: Bad header at offset D4C00000 BootROM: Bad header at offset D4E00000 Trying Uart And yes, DIP was set to SATA0. To note: there was a blinking red LED prior to the output on the serial console. When I re-set the DIP to SPI, it boots up without issue: Booting from SPI flash U-Boot SPL 2025.10_armbian-2025.10-Se50b-Pee16-H9530-V9a59-Bbf55-R448a (Nov 23 2025 - 08:27:54 +0000) High speed PHY - Version: 2.0 Detected Device ID 6828 board SerDes lanes topology details: | Lane # | Speed | Type | -------------------------------- | 0 | 6 | SATA0 | | 1 | 5 | USB3 HOST0 | | 2 | 6 | SATA1 | | 3 | 6 | SATA3 | | 4 | 6 | SATA2 | | 5 | 5 | USB3 HOST1 | -------------------------------- High speed PHY - Ended Successfully mv_ddr: 14.0.0 DDR3 Training Sequence - Switching XBAR Window to FastPath Window DDR Training Sequence - Start scrubbing DDR3 Training Sequence - End scrubbing mv_ddr: completed successfully Trying to boot from SPI U-Boot 2025.10_armbian-2025.10-Se50b-Pee16-H9530-V9a59-Bbf55-R448a (Nov 23 2025 - 08:27:54 +0000) SoC: MV88F6828-A0 at 1600 MHz DRAM: 2 GiB (800 MHz, 32-bit, ECC enabled) Core: 32 devices, 21 uclasses, devicetree: separate MMC: mv_sdh: 0 Loading Environment from SPIFlash... SF: Detected w25q32 with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 4 KiB, total 4 MiB OK Model: Helios4 Board: Helios4 ... It almost appears that the DIP is not read out properly? What does your console say when you set the DIP to SATA0? Groetjes,
December 13, 2025Dec 13 2 hours ago, djurny said: I also tried to see what happens when I set the DIP to SATA0 Thank you for testing!
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.