Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Bpi M1 - powered down with the button and still the usb hdd activity

Featured Replies

Hi, I've been running the OMV7 latest with the armbian headless latest. I've set the power button for powering the system off in the OMV's gui.

When the system is "on" I can power the system down by short press on the power button, the system powers off after aprox 10 seconds (so hopefully a clean shut down), the power led and network led get off, but the USB HDD (external 2.5in 320GB WD) still shows activity after power down - the activity led on it blinks (like 5 blinks per second) and I can hear a light clicking in aprox 1sec intervals. The disk does not spin, however (I cannot hear the spinning). I've been using a battery backup (3.7V lion) wired to the BPi M1 board permanently (there is an onboard controller for the battery backup management).

What needs to be set in order the external USB HDD stops showing activity after the power down?

Edited by Pito

  • Pito changed the title to Bpi M1 - powered down with the button and still the usb hdd activity
  • Author

The clicking sound comes from the HDD because it tries to spin up (I can hear a weak sound of the motor trying to start). The power controller on the M1 board feeds some voltage to the USB connector even after power down but with not enough current. So the issue is with the power management controller which does not switch the USB voltage fully off.

Edited by Pito

  • Author

So, it seems it was the D5 diode in the step-up switcher, got pretty hot and the 5V usb dropped, therefore the hdd tried to spinup repeatedly.

I've replaced it with a beefy 1N5819 (a trough hole version), there is stable 5V out now, the disk blinks after power down of the system, but the disk does not try to spin up.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.