Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Real time scheduling

Featured Replies

I'm hesitant to post this here, because I am not really sure that this is an armbian issue to begin with.  But I'm somewhat stumped.

During the build process I configured the kernel to enable real time threads.


 

CONFIG_NO_HZ_COMMON=y
CONFIG_HZ_1000=y
CONFIG_HZ=1000
CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y

 

However, as I started to migrate my development I discovered I couldn't create a real time thread.

So I pulled down areal time test suite (https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/documentation/howto/tools/rt-tests)

And confirmed it has the same issue:

 

Unable to change scheduling policy!
either run as root or join realtime group

 

I am root, it is a real time kernel.

Linux bananapim4zero 6.13.7-edge-sunxi64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_RT Thu Mar 13 12:08:08 UTC 2025 aarch64 GNU/Linux

 

I am not sure what might be driving this.  For the past several months I've been doing some dev work on a TI AM625 based board that I built a yocto distribution on and it's fine.

I know that is a completely different board, but my kernel setting for real time enablement are the same.  I pulled them from that build since.

 

Appreciate any input!

Solved by going

  • Author

I think my issue is actually that CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED is enabled.

 

I was certain I had disabled it.  After some sluething.. It turns out I don't know how to configure/build a kernel.  

 

I run

./compile.sh BOARD=bananapim4zero BRANCH=edge kernel-config

 

I then make some changes and tell it to save:

 

For instance when I enter menuconfig, I see this.

image.png.3e1618a7bd049000c4dead6b77b5dd73.png

 

I then REMOVE the check.

 

image.png.436337e40f8e5fed9fb9a667a73cad92.png

 

I say YES

 

image.png.5159d6fdb7fd2fb0869838dd24208444.png

 

OOPS. I realized I wanted to make another change.

 

image.png.e260042a06bf4d632b44b87ccfbc0113.png

 

And now it's back. 

 

After unchecking this, and building the kernel, moving the kernel, installing, and rebooting I see the config hasn't change on board.

So, I must have a misunderstanding of how this is supposed to work.

 

I checked here: https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Commands/

Which says "Add or Remove" modules, but doesn't elaborate if it's copying some defaults or where they might be coming from.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Solution
19 часов назад, jgauthier сказал:

And now it's back. 

 

After unchecking this, and building the kernel, moving the kernel, installing, and rebooting I see the config hasn't change on board.

So, I must have a misunderstanding of how this is supposed to work.

 

I checked here: https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Commands/

Which says "Add or Remove" modules, but doesn't elaborate if it's copying some defaults or where they might be coming from.

 

19 часов назад, jgauthier сказал:

I run

./compile.sh BOARD=bananapim4zero BRANCH=edge kernel-config

After you complete the configuration of the kernel, the build system will tell you where and under what name it has saved your configuration file.

 

Next, you need to save it with a name

config/kernel/linux-sunxi64-edge.config

and commit it to the build system itself.

 

or save it under the name

userpatches/config/kernel/linux-sunxi64-edge.config

 

Only after that, run

./compile.sh BOARD=bananapim4zero BRANCH=edge kernel

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.