Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Trouble getting hardware decoding to work on Rock 5 ITX

Featured Replies

I had this plan on utilizing the Radxa Rock 5 ITX+ as a Moonlight client device to stream games from my desktop computer to my living room TV, and using my 8BitDo Ultimate controller to play. On paper, the board has all the bells and whistles needed to do it, but I am having trouble getting hardware decoding of H264 and/or HEVC to work as expected. From what I gather, I need mesa-vpu support, but the documentation I find is very scattered, and repositories that once held the needed resources are no longer available. I am currently running Armbian_25.DBhsHKsx.2.2_Rock-5-itx_bookworm_vendor_6.1.99_cinnamon-backported-mesa_desktop.img (build date 21st of February, 2025), downloaded from Armbian.com. Hardware decoding does however not work, despite it being marked with "backported mesa".

 

I've been at this for two weeks now with different images, including Armbian and Radxa OS, even going so far as trying to build Armbian myself from scratch. The image I am currently using is however the most stable I have experienced so far. Am I missing something? How do I get hardware decoding to work?

Edit: Link to armbianmonitor output

Edited by bucknaked

On 5/31/2025 at 4:36 PM, bucknaked said:

I had this plan on utilizing the Radxa Rock 5 ITX+ as a Moonlight client device to stream games from my desktop computer to my living room TV, and using my 8BitDo Ultimate controller to play. On paper, the board has all the bells and whistles needed to do it, but I am having trouble getting hardware decoding of H264 and/or HEVC to work as expected. From what I gather, I need mesa-vpu support, but the documentation I find is very scattered, and repositories that once held the needed resources are no longer available. I am currently running Armbian_25.DBhsHKsx.2.2_Rock-5-itx_bookworm_vendor_6.1.99_cinnamon-backported-mesa_desktop.img (build date 21st of February, 2025), downloaded from Armbian.com. Hardware decoding does however not work, despite it being marked with "backported mesa".

 

I've been at this for two weeks now with different images, including Armbian and Radxa OS, even going so far as trying to build Armbian myself from scratch. The image I am currently using is however the most stable I have experienced so far. Am I missing something? How do I get hardware decoding to work?

Edit: Link to armbianmonitor output

Edited May 31 by bucknaked
 

Rock 5 ITX hardware decoding issues often stem from driver compatibility or missing media frameworks. You might want to explore alternative firmware or updated kernel support. Also, Jotrin stocks media processor ICs and support components if you’re considering building a custom multimedia board to bypass some of these limitations.

All good now?

Edited by DavidFajardo

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.