Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Orange Pi RV2

Featured Replies

Solved by sven-ola

  • Author

Hello @Eule - what was you solution? When I had to guess: remove SD card to trigger eMMC boot?

 

@Logan There's a real large bunch of reasons, why you where not able to install. That screen shot probably does not show any hints. Copy and paste your terminal session where you hacked in installation commands to a text file. Then post it here as attachment, then I may be able to help. 

 

Best // Sven-Ola

Edited by sven-ola

I flashed gnome desktop from your website.
GPU script yields this error:
```

Preparing to unpack .../armbian-firmware_26.2.1_all.deb ...
Unpacking armbian-firmware (26.2.1) over (26.02.0-trunk) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/armbian-firmware_26.2.1_all.deb (--unpack):
 unable to open '/lib/firmware/qcom/sm8550/ayn/odin2mini/a740_zap.mbn.dpkg-new': No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/armbian-firmware_26.2.1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
```

Edited by VBB

To fix that error I removed `/lib/firmware/qcom/sm8550/ayn/odin2mini` and other 2 symlinks. run `ls -la /lib/firmware/qcom/sm8550/ayn/` to show them.
I ran the script and did a reboot. Now I'm in the uboot command line and I see this error:
```

no nvme partition table available
[  10.473] Couldn't find partition nvme 0:1
[  10.477] Couldn't find partition nvme 0:1
[  10.481] Couldn't find partition nvme 0:1
[  10.485] Couldn't find partition nvme 0:1
[  10.489] Couldn't find partition nvme 0:1
```
I only have sd card plugged in.

Also this:
```

[   4.478] Retrieving file: /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
[   4.510] 1:    Armbian-unofficial
[   4.510] Retrieving file: /boot/uInitrd
[   5.712] Retrieving file: /boot/Image
[   8.067] append: root=UUID=818a9fb1-4820-445e-9c18-e94a975ca969 earlycon=sbi console=tty1 console=ttyS0,115200 loglevel=1 rw no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0 splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
[   8.086] Retrieving file: /boot/dtb/spacemit/k1-orangepi-rv2.dtb
[   8.133] ** File not found /boot/dtb/spacemit/k1-orangepi-rv2.dtb **
[   8.136] Skipping Armbian-unofficial for failure retrieving FDT
[   8.150] pcie_dw_k1x pcie@ca400000: has no power-on-status flag, use default.
[   8.155] Now init Rterm...
[   8.157] pcie prot id = 1, porta_init_done = 0
[   8.161] Now waiting portA resister tuning done...

 

```
In `/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf` I renamed `k1-orangepi-rv2.dtb` to `k1-x-orangepi-rv2.dtb` and it did let me to boot into DE. Kernel has probably updated incorrectly. `uname -r` and boot log shows 6.6.99-current-spacemit. Wifi module doesn't work either.
```
# inxi -G

Graphics:
  Device-1: saturn-le driver: spacemit_drm_drv v: N/A
  Device-2: hdmi driver: spacemit_hdmi_drv v: N/A
  Device-3: saturn-hdmi driver: spacemit_drm_drv v: N/A
  Display: server: X.Org v: 23.2.6 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.6 driver: N/A
    resolution: 1920x1080~75Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.4,1.5 drivers: pvr,swrast,zink
    platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 3.3 compat-v: 2.1 vendor: mesa v: 24.0.1 renderer: softpipe
  API: Vulkan v: 1.3.275 drivers: N/A surfaces: N/A
```
I was able to update the kernel by installing `linux-kernel-edge-spacemit` and `linux-headers-edge-spacemit`, but wifi module still doesn't work. `bcmdhd-spacemit-sdio-dkms` is intalled though

Edited by VBB

  • Author

Ah - sorry for the confusion. Those Armbian*.img files are pre-installed. Means: the GPU stuff is already there. I am not sure what happens, if you run that GPU install again (I need to investigate, give me an hour). 

  • Author

Aiee! Installed my old "Noble" image. Updating will remove kernel 6.18.18 and install 6.6.99 and also has the error in the firmware package as decribed above by @VBB. Also, that funny "cli.github.com/packages" repo does not work. While that kernel downgrade is probably caused by linux-image-current-spacemit moved from 6.6.99 to 6.18.x recently (and the Armbian repos are out of date somehow) that firmware package should update without any errors. Will need time to sort this out. Anyhow, the "Noble" image works with GPU-activated Gnome desktop as long as you do not update (downgrade)...

Edited by sven-ola

@sven-ola Hi sven-ola!

Thanks a ton for making RV2 work on Armbian!

I'll go about trying to make an RV2 start for the first time shortly. Interfacing it via the serial port is fine, and equally fine is connecting it via HDMI and USB to screen and keyboard, right?

 

As for boot media, will booting the Armbian Debian image from a USB storage device work out of the box or must I install some image on an onboard flash chip first, if so what's the URL to that?


And then: Do you think it makes any sense for me to use the Armbian Edge which has kernel 6.19 right now, does it seem stable? If so can you provide an URL to it (upload it on armbian.org or mega.nz etc.)

On SpaceMIT's mainlining page https://github.com/spacemit-com/linux/wiki#user-content-K1_SoC I see that the PCI support got an update in 6.19, would this be a reason to use Armbian Edge. This URL is linked: https://lore.kernel.org/all/20251013153526.2276556-1-elder@riscstar.com/ . I have no idea if this update has been backported to the 6.18 kernel used.


The 6.19 and 6.18 kernels used, where are they taken from actually? At least for 6.18 I think the repo is https://github.com/jmontleon/linux-spacemit/ or https://github.com/spacemit-com/linux-k1x , do you use it?

 

And for clarity, there is no Armbian with Linux 7.1 yet right?

Otherwise just downloading the Armbian with 6.18 from https://armbian.com/boards/orangepirv2 . For CLI and packages and no desktop, the Debian flavour is preferable I guess.

At this point do you think PCI and USB interfaces are stable in Armbian or Armbian Edge?

 

Thanks!

@Werner Do you think Armbian Edge with Linux 7.1 is available and works on OrangePI RV2 already?  If so I'd love to get that image. As I understand it the SoC's support has been fully mainlined in Linux 7.  

(By the way request to admin to lift my messaging quota. Will edit this request away in a few hours.)


I just checked inside Armbian Imager, and Armbian Edge is not available there - the same two images as are on https://armbian.com/boards/orangepirv2 are in there, that's all.

Edited by armfan

armbianmonitor picks up the wrong temperature to show as "Tcpu".

 

19:40:09  1600/1600 MHz  0.63  12%   0%  12%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:40:14  1600/1600 MHz  0.66  12%   0%  12%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:40:19   614/ 614 MHz  0.60   5%   0%   4%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:40:24   614/ 614 MHz  0.56   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:40:29   614/ 614 MHz  0.51   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:40:34   614/ 614 MHz  0.55   1%   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:40:39  1000/1000 MHz  0.51   3%   1%   1%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:40:44   614/ 614 MHz  0.47   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1

Time    CPU_cl0/CPU_cl1  load %cpu %sys %usr %nice %io %irq   Tcpu  C.St.
19:40:49  1600/1600 MHz  0.51  12%   3%   8%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:40:54  1600/1600 MHz  0.55  15%   4%  10%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:41:00  1600/1600 MHz  0.58  15%   4%  10%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1
19:41:05  1600/1600 MHz  0.70  15%   4%  10%   0%   0%   0%  34.9 °C  0/1^C

 

Meanwhile in 'sensors':

cluster1_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +45.0°C  

nvme-pci-10100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +34.9°C  (low  = -40.1°C, high = +119.8°C)
                       (crit = +129.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +42.9°C  (low  = -40.1°C, high = +139.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +34.9°C  (low  = -40.1°C, high = +119.8°C)

cluster0_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +45.0°C

 

So it shows the NVMe SSD temperature instead.

  • Author

Hi @armfan. To answer some of your queries: this is embedded land, we do not boot from USB normally. Just grab an SD card, flash with "dd", insert and boot from that medium. With 7.0 I have successfully booted from SD - other boot methods may or may not work. To compile your own image with 7.1 cutting edge kernel follow the steps mentioned in the following posting in this thread, see "you are on your own..."

 HTH // Sven-Ola

And the CPU load bug is still not fixed even in 6.18, amazing.

After the system has been up for a while, these crop up in "top", consuming quite a bit of CPU for no discernible reason.

The system is otherwise idle and there's nothing running. I stopped qbittorrent and samba, this strange load does not disappear.

And it seems to increase over time, a bit after the screenshot, around 30-60% now.

 

Snap3.thumb.png.72aff744b4220c13e4ff1bb07f8f5a82.png

  • Author

Hello @rm_, there was a "CPU load bug" with uptime reporting 2.00 on idle. What you show us in your screenshot is far below 2.00. Would you mind to check /proc/interrupts?

 

@armfan I compiled current and edge and uploaded the result to my site (https://privat-in.de). However, I presume you will need extra Wifi drivers enabled, thus you probably need to compile yourself.

2 hours ago, sven-ola said:

there was a "CPU load bug" with uptime reporting 2.00 on idle. What you show us in your screenshot is far below 2.00

It is not that one. The 2.0 load was just cosmetic, the CPU was actually idle.

But with this one it is actually doing something, which is also increasing heat (if no fan).

With the expanded core list, you can see the CPU5 and CPU7 have "system" load of 49% and 36%.

On a fully idle system.

Interrupts file attached. It seems pretty normal to me.

 

Snap6.thumb.png.5e2457c1218ef3acbc6eedfbc98a8652.png

 

 

 

 

 

interrupts

  • Author

@rm_ On my RV2, there's no such load. Mine waits at the GDM3 login screen (Wayland), it's booted via NVME, no Wifi nor BT configured, and I have a shell via Ethernet. I see a difference in IPI4 dubbed "IRQ work interrupts" which may cause this but I have no clue about the real root cause. There's a patch with comments on that: https://patchew.org/linux/25833c44051f02ea2fd95309652628e2b1607a1e.camel@lenze.com/ , however I have not investigated which of the patches / corrections are in the actual 6.18.26-current-spacemit. 

I have 53/57° C temp with cat $(find /sys -name temp), I presume yours is higher...

Bildschirmfoto vom 2026-05-10 21-53-28.png

interrupts

Wait for a few hours and see if it appears.

 

My other theory, is that I removed the BCMHD DKMS  driver and now the wifi is in a wrong state and hassling the CPU.

  • Author

Hi @rm_, I tried my RV2 with current kernel and disabled bcmdhd. For reference, I have uploaded the image to https://privat-in.de under "Downloads". Prevented bcmdhd.ko from loading. There is no such load. I don't think that waiting a couple of hours will change that. Also, I have zero IPI4 irqs, thus you may need to locate the interrupt source, e.g. with lspci and lsusb. Maybe you changed something in the kernel cfg, please compare attached cfg to your /proc/config.gz). HTH // Sven-Ola

config.gz

Edited by sven-ola

I'm trying to activate the UART9 overlay to enable an additional serial port. According to the Armbian documentation, I should create /boot/armbianEnv.txt and add overlays=uart9 to it. However, after multiple attempts, the serial boot log doesn't show any changes, as if the file isn't being read at all.


Here's what I've tried so far:

  • Created /boot/armbianEnv.txt with the following content: overlays=uart9
  • Tried different overlay_prefix settings (e.g., overlay_prefix=k1).
  • Renamed the file to orangepiEnv.txt after seeing it referenced elsewhere.

None of these changes seem to have any effect, the UART9 device doesn't appear in /dev/, and the boot log doesn't reflect the overlay being applied.

 

Could someone point me in the right direction? What am I missing here?

Once I get the UART9 overlay working, I'd also like to create a custom overlay to use a GPIO pin for PPS (Pulse Per Second) input. Any guidance on that would be greatly appreciated!

  • Author

@Curvy Android Try something like fdtoverlays /boot/dtb/spacemit/overlay/k1-uart9.dtbo, this should trigger some u-boot message like:

[   5.621] Retrieving file: /boot/dtb/spacemit/k1-orangepi-rv2.dtb
[   5.672] Retrieving file: /boot/dtb/spacemit/overlay/k1-uart9.dtbo

HTH // Sven-Ola

Edited by sven-ola

@sven-ola Hi Sven-Ola, thanks a lot for your response. About boot medium, can I easily put a /boot volume on the SD memory card and have it mount / from USB? If so do you have some cues for what I should change inside your Armbian image for it to do that.

Regarding build my own PCI device drivers yes of course. Thanks a lot for providing the image!

Ah right, the OrangePI RV2 WIKI page http://www.orangepi.org/orangepiwiki/index.php/Orange_Pi_RV2#Method_for_burning_Linux_images_to_SPIFlash.2BUSB_storage_devices says the RV2 can be booted from USB directly, via SPI flash.

The WIKI is not very clear though - does RV2 come with the SPI pre-flashed? It kind of sounds like that from this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzajoWMJgKI which does not mention flashing the SPI at all.

 

The WIKI does not say clearly, but it says, if you need to flash the SPI, then just boot Linux off MicroSD card. But it does not say which Linux. They must most likely mean their own Ubuntu distribution downloable on http://www.orangepi.org/html/hardWare/computerAndMicrocontrollers/service-and-support/Orange-Pi-RV2.html , right? Then do "sudo nand-sata-install" which is expected to exist, and it will install UBoot to the SPI flash chip.

 

After this is done, when booting, UBoot will load from the SPI flash,  and it will auto-detect that there is a bootable OS on an USB device, and just boot it, right? @sven-ola

 

image.thumb.png.42f1d4608f8c66740e8442e4835fdc1f.png

Edited by armfan

  • Author

@armfan you start mixing instructions from Xunlong, SpacemiT, and Armbian. That will not work probably. The SoC is able to boot from SD, eMMC, and MTD (in that order). With Armbian started, you can use armbian-install to write u-boot to MTD (which is Memory Technology Device aka the kernel device for SPI flash and other flash mem). That Armbian u-boot is able to indirectly boot from NVME. Or via USB but only with manual u-boot commands you can type into the UART console, see discussion on OpiR2S booting in this thread.

Edited by sven-ola

@sven-ola Sorry, this was indeed a mystery problem with my SSD. I replaced it, and now everything works like a charm (I just need the CLI server; Wi-Fi or GPU isn’t necessary). By the way, when is the stable release planned?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.