Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Helios64 case and Radxa Rock5 ITX+

Featured Replies

Hello,

 

After 5 years of loyal service, my Helios64 SBC just died on me last night.

Would a Radxa Rock5 ITX+ and a M.2 to Hexa SATA Adapter could be a good drop in replacement to reuse the case?

Both are Mini-ITX so it would fit.

I know I would lose the front panel lights and power/reset button, and I would need to cut the back panel to fit the I/O shield but these are minor problems.

 

What I am more concerned with, is if it is at all possible to power the 5 HDD from the radxa board (as the Helios 64 board didi).

Helios engineers had made it possible to do it with minimum power, mainly by starting up the drives sequentially.

 

Can the molex 4-Pin connector on the Radxa can do it?
Provided I could buy/make an adapter to connect it to the J8 harness of the case?

 

That would definitely be a great thing if I could reuse that very fine enclosure.

 

Thanks for your input on that matter.

 

image.png.277ab84411ea61235d55c1b560cd8bac.pngimage.thumb.png.0db9fbd301479e0eee5f04da05078588.png

Edited by ploubi

Solved by luneth

I like it, unfortunately I couldn't find anything about the specs of the 12V/5V molex output. Only the recommended power supply using the 12V barrel (90W/ 12V/8A).

You should probably reach to Radxa on their discord/forum to find out if the board can supports the intensity peak of 5 3.5" HDD spinning up a the same time....

 

  • Solution

Oh and i missed one thing, the Helios64's board is nano itx (120x120), the one from radxa you want to use as replacement is mini itx (170x170)

Edited by luneth
Typo

That the Helios64 SW/firmware did sequencing of 3.5inch HDD spin-up is indeed a good method to limit the maximum current draw. I do not know how power architecture is done in Helios64, but w.r.t. 3.5inch disks, so the 12V power need, you might avoid letting the current of the 12V flow through the SBC/motherboard. It is not needed, there might be connectors, still it is not needed. Even for traditional x86 PCs, 12V (and 5V as well) comes straight from the PSU, that is 100-1000W or so usually. The 12V also does not need to be exactly 12V, I feed a 4TB WD HDD from a 12V car battery in the field, is solar powered and 10 years old or so. Due to battery wear out, it sees a voltage of 10.5-14 Volts or so. No problem. 5V for SBC and some other small stuff is via a 3A DC/DC module. A car battery (72Ah or so) should have no issue with spinning up a handfull of 3.5inch HDDs simultaneously.

The  PCIe-to-SATA chips support hotplug, so you could use some P-MOSFETs or so to have GPIO-controlled powerswitch, but is of course electronics circuit design and soldering etc.

Also maybe think if you need all that 5 HDDs (and at the same time) and with a RK3588 SoCo that can go as low as 1.5Watt idle. 5 spinning disks is 20W or so. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.