Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Searching Armbian files for Debian 11 and 12 on TV Box X96 Air P3 (Amlogic S905X3)

Featured Replies

Hello,

 

I have a TV Box  X96 Air P3 with old Armbian (Armbian_20.05.4_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.7.0-rc6_20200518.img = Debian 10.4) installed 6 years ago (https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12988-armbian-for-amlogic-s905x3/page/7/#findComment-101885).

 

Now I need to update to Debian 11 (at least) or 12 (better). For that, I need the new img and dtb files but I'm lost to find them.

 

So, many thanks for your support

 

Greetings

Armin

Edited by Armin

9 hours ago, Armin said:

old Armbian (Armbian_20.05.4_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.7.0-rc6_20200518.img = Debian 10.4)

'bionic' makes me think of Ubuntu 18, so not Debian 10/Buster. But I have no experience at all with TV-boxes, maybe is just other reference.

What I do wonder is what is meant by:

9 hours ago, Armin said:

the new img and dtb files

Is anyone using TV-boxes with Armbian using Btrfs for rootfs and just working ssh root access?

 

I just did dist-upgrade an old laptop from Debian 11 to 12 and did the same tricks in 2022 when from 10 to 11. The Laptop as a broken display and VGA is also not stable and no COM-ports either (It has a RJ11 for old POTS modem). So 'headless' and much like a system with only soldered eMMC, although I could take out the HDD, but lot of work.

 

But as long as RJ45+ssh works (I know the MACaddress) I can transfer a Btrfs subvolume/stream into the live running system and change default subvolume, so after typing 'reboot', that is used. I test it first in a KVM if doubt or too risky. The bootloader is old BIOS, so same as for U-Boot blobs, the first megabyte of the HDD/storage is very important. I usually rip it into a 1MiB file for external storage so I have the MBR partition table and the boot code as backup 'image'. Rest is then standard Debian and can all be done while the system is running. 

  • Author
1 hour ago, eselarm said:

'bionic' makes me think of Ubuntu 18, so not Debian 10/Buster. But I have no experience at all with TV-boxes, maybe is just other reference.

What I do wonder is what is meant by:

Yes, you're right but It was 6 yeras ago so I have forgotten some details. Bionic was my 1st trial but at the end, I have used 'buster' (Armbian_20.05.4_Arm-64_buster_current_5.7.0-rc6_20200519.img)

 

1 hour ago, eselarm said:

just did dist-upgrade an old laptop from Debian 11 to 12

Yes, there is this solution (detailed here : https://forum.armbian.com/topic/35402-upgrading-armbian-from-bullseye-to-bookworm/) but the kernel is not up to date and I don't know about the consequences !

 

3 hours ago, SteeMan said:

My bad, I have searched with 'ARM64' but for sure, with 'AML S905', this is the best : https://armbian.com/boards/aml-s9xx-box

 

Last question to refresh my mind, the dtb files are included into the img and I need to choose the correct one (S905X3 = Meson SM1) into uEnv.txt ?

Because, previously, I have used a dedicated one : https://forum.armbian.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=6153

 

Thanks again

Edited by Armin

  • Werner locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.