Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

how to install a new kernel

Featured Replies

Hello

 

I built a new kernel for my rock64, how do I install it so I can boot on it  I am trying to go from 4.4.174 to 4.14.106

 

 

  • Author
7 hours ago, Igor said:


Where did you get 4.14.y? 

www.kermel.org. Just downloaded, ran the menu config and made it. 

  • Author
9 hours ago, guidol said:

if you did compile the new kernel in a .deb package the install it with

dpkg -i kernel.deb

no, how for you build with .deb?

  • Author

cant build on arm, need x86 to build. my only x86 is a mac.  

 

so back to square 1. I have a kernel build, but it is not booting from it   

 

 

  • Author

this is starting to get too complicated. kind of sad that arm based os needs 86 to build it.

  • Author

the more level a system has the more complicated

 

MacOS-->virtualbox-->x86 18.-04 ubuntu-->build tools-arm

 

 

  • Author

now that I have the virtual box with amd86(x86) ubuntu 18.04, how do I get it to build with a newer version of Linux, going for 4.14.x ?

 

  • Author

Hello.

 

I am wanting to upgrade my Armbian ubuntu on the Rock64 to a newer kernel. 

 

I have set up a Virtual machine with ubuntu 18.04 x86 on my mac, and it is working fine  I have been following the directions on the https://docs.armbian.com/Developer-Guide_Build-Preparation/ 

 

 

when run the build it is pulling in the old 4.4.x kernel, i want to upgrade to the 4.14 kernel (the reason why I picked 4.14 it has better performance.) 

 

how can I upgrade the kernel to a later version ? 

4 hours ago, munocat said:

www.kermel.org. Just downloaded, ran the menu config and made it. 


This is ARM, support for this platform is not fully mainlined which means it's not this simple.

Now you need a team of kernel hackers to port specifics support from 4.4 + refactor certain sections from scratch (generally speaking). Then, perhaps by the end of the year, you might be able to have generally usable kernel 4.14.y for this board. By that time, K5.X, which people are working with, will be viable modern option. Doing something helps.

 

Use what we give you as on option (4.4.y and 4.20.y/5.0).

  • Author
5 minutes ago, Igor said:


This is ARM, support for this platform is not fully mainlined which means it's not this simple.

Now you need a team of kernel hackers to port specifics support from 4.4 + refactor certain sections from scratch (generally speaking). Then, perhaps by the end of the year, you might be able to have generally usable kernel 4.14.y for this board. By that time, K5.X, which people are working with, will be viable modern option. Doing something helps.

 

Use what we give you as on option (4.4.y and 4.20.y/5.0).

there is no 4.20.y for Rock64, or I don't see it.

 

i get impression that there is not much interest for the rockchip 3288. Should I just give up on trying to update ? 

  • Author
2 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

You're right ! DEV branch has been switched to 5.0.y last Friday ...

If you really wish to get 4.20.y, you will need to revert few things from this commit (mainly the branch name) :

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/53bcf26db6fbadfb2b10dfd166ae5a04bc834c4c

I must sound annoying, that is because I don’t have much experience.  When I run the ./compile.sh EXPERT=YES it still grabs the 4.4, if I look at non supported tree the ROCK64 is not there. 

  • Author
11 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

The "yes" should be in lower case ...

Then, choose "DEV" branch, you will get a 5.0.y build, which is even better than 4.20.y ...

I don’t see a dev banch ? What am I doing wrong. 

5 hours ago, munocat said:

this is starting to get too complicated. kind of sad that arm based os needs 86 to build it.

Actually, you can natively build an Aarch64 Rockchip kernel very easily.

 

Instructions to do so can be found here:  http://wiki.loverpi.com/faq:sbc:libre-aml-s805x-howto-native-compile-kernel

 

You'll have to modify a couple of steps slightly if you are building for Rockchip SoC's but basically it's a 10 minutes process to get started on compilation, and depending on your hardware your kernel will compile in 15 to 45 minutes. Another 5 minutes to spend on installing and voilà! You can run your own self-compiled mainline Linux kernel on your SBC, if it manages to boot properly but note that this is not guaranteed on Rockchip SoC's.

  • Author
2 hours ago, AndrewDB said:

Actually, you can natively build an Aarch64 Rockchip kernel very easily.

 

Instructions to do so can be found here:  http://wiki.loverpi.com/faq:sbc:libre-aml-s805x-howto-native-compile-kernel

 

You'll have to modify a couple of steps slightly if you are building for Rockchip SoC's but basically it's a 10 minutes process to get started on compilation, and depending on your hardware your kernel will compile in 15 to 45 minutes. Another 5 minutes to spend on installing and voilà! You can run your own self-compiled mainline Linux kernel on your SBC, if it manages to boot properly but note that this is not guaranteed on Rockchip SoC's.

Funny, I did that, but after I installed it, it would not boot into it, just the old version 

5 hours ago, martinayotte said:

You're right ! DEV branch has been switched to 5.0.y last Friday ...

If you really wish to get 4.20.y, you will need to revert few things from this commit (mainly the branch name) :

https://github.com/armbian/build/commit/53bcf26db6fbadfb2b10dfd166ae5a04bc834c4c

 

 

So if I understand correctly, the next kernel release for rock64 will be 5.0xxx!  That's great.   I see that Ayufan on github is still working on 4.4 . Personally I'd be happy with just a stable build....  Thanks for all the hard work. 

 

Would like to think that there is still plenty interest in the the 3328....

  • Author

UPDATE.

 

I have version 5.0 running, but it appears no USB because I was not able to log in, I must of missed a driver. any ideas. 

 

 

18 minutes ago, munocat said:

UPDATE.

 

I have version 5.0 running, but it appears no USB because I was not able to log in, I must of missed a driver. any ideas. 

 

Great! The more modern kernel, less things will work is normal. Drivers and board hardware config (DTB) once developed for initial kernel (4.4.y in this case) has to be ported to modern kernel (not just enabling in menu config). I don't know how much has been already done so it is hard to say ... in general don't expect anything better than 4.4.y except perhaps some very specific functions.

10 hours ago, munocat said:

Funny, I did that, but after I installed it, it would not boot into it, just the old version 

You have to install your newly compiled mainline kernel. Instructions to do so for S9XXX SoC's can be found here:

 http://wiki.loverpi.com/faq:sbc:libre-aml-s805x-install-newly-compiled-kernel

 

You'll have to change a few things for your Rockchip SBC but the basic steps are identical: put the kernel, modules, dtb and ramdisk in the right place and point u-boot to your new kernel, ramdisk and correct dtb.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.