Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

procedure for cloning of sd card

Featured Replies

Hi!

 

short question: Best way to create a bootable clone of sd card? I did some reading and found ">>create image on windows >> shrink image via gparted" doesn't work for me since I dont have a second computer running linux (will the linux subsystem on windows 10 help?).

 

In the past, I used the rpi-clone on a raspberry, but reading in this forum has taught me that hotcloning an armbian sd card via script is not necessarily safe.

 

Computers availabel to me are: 1) odroid hc2 running armbian 2) acer laptop running windows 10

  • Author

Update: I tried to clone the SD card doing the following, inspiration from this thread: 

1) download armbian image, burn to another SD card (#2)

2) run armbian from this SD card #2 (works)

3) insert former boot SD card (#1) and backup SD card (#3) in SD card reader

4) dd if=/dev/#1 of=/dev/#3 bs=1M count=4 (to copy partition scheme and bootloader)

5) mount #1 /mnt/origin, mount #3 /mnt/clone

6) rsync -avSz /mnt/origin /mnt/clone (seems to work)

7) check /etc/fstab on #3, adjust UUID of /

8) try to boot from #3 --> doesn't work :-(

 

I don't want to (can't) use dd because the SD card #3 is only 16 GB, whereas the #1 SD card is 32 GB, and my armbian installation takes only 4,1 GB. And I understand Igor's opinion that it's much more useful to save /home/* and /etc/* and a list of installed packages, but I want to have a working clone handy for instant use in case the #1 SD card fails, mostly because I am planning on installing pihole and I am worried about increased wear on the SD card.

 

Can someone tell me why the approach aboce doesn't work? Does it have to do with /etc/fstab? Partitions? Thanks in advance!

 

EDIT: both #1 and #3 are high quality (SanDisk Ultra A1)

  • Author

Figured it out, using pishrink, finally! It takes a while because 28 GB of empty space are being copied in the beginning, but anyhow ;-)

This is my procedure:

 

1) boot from "plain" armbian (#2, see above)

2) insert original SD card (#1, 32 GB) in reader

3) dd if=/dev/sd#1 of=/path/to/image.img

4) pishrink.sh /path/to/image.img

5)dd if=/path/to/image.img of=/dev/sd#3, #3 being the backup SD card, 16 GB

 

note: "#1", e.g. is "/dev/sda", not "/dev/sda1", since you need to do a block level copy of the device, not only the disk.

Old topic, but for those still interested - none of the steps above worked for me.

What WORKED for me was cloning using a new version of Balena Etcher.

 

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.