Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Armbian Community Forums

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I2C support disappeared after update

Featured Replies

After updating my Orange Pi 5 I no longer can use the "opi5-i2c5-m3" overlay in /boot/armbianEnv.txt to activate and use i2c.

Seems the file (or any ohter "opi5-i2c*") is gone from /boot/dtb folder.

#uname -a 
Linux 5.10.110-rockchip-rk3588 #1 SMP Sun Apr 2 14:30:48 UTC 2023 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

 

Is there a new or different procedure to activate i2c? Do I need to install a separate package for it? Or build the entire OS?

Anyone else having the same issue?

 

It does detect some i2c devices(0,10,2,6,7,9), but they don't seem to be related to the GPIO headers, prevoiusly I could also use (1,3,5).
 

# ls -l /dev/i2c-
i2c-0   i2c-10  i2c-2   i2c-6   i2c-7   i2c-9  


 

I would like to use physical pins 3 and 5 - these were until now working fine.

Edited by martivo

  • Author

@Efe ÇetinThank You for pointing me to the right direction!

 

What was simple was to restore the boot/dtb/rockchip/overlay/rockchip-rk3588-opi5-i2c5-m3.dtbo file from backup and reboot....now it works again.

 

Having to rumble through a 3.8Gb git repo to get some dts files from it just to get I2C working is really ugly solution in my personal oppinion.

I am a bit puzzled about this - it is a basic functionality of Orange Pi 5 SBC and I understand Armbian tries to support these SBCs. Also Armbian provides SBC specific images.

Is there a reason these dts files can't be at least packaged into Armbian OPI5 image that are related to OPI5?

So it would be easy to call the "armbian-add-overlay" command at least? Is it some licencing issue?

 

I did manage to find it in this folder in the git repo after some digging  https://github.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-orangepi/tree/orange-pi-5.10-rk3588/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/overlay 

rk3588-i2c5-m3.dts - no idea if it's even the file I need.

I assume during next update the overlay will break again since I just restored the file...I guess I will give it a shot once it breaks again in the hopes to fix it permanently.

 

 

 

Edited by martivo

  • Author
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/orangepi-xunlong/linux-orangepi/orange-pi-5.10-rk3588/arch/arm64/boot/dts/rockchip/overlay/rk3588-i2c5-m3.dts -O rk3588-i2c5-m3.dts
armbian-add-overlay rk3588-i2c5-m3.dts
reboot

 

So this is how you can make the fix permanently.

If you use different Kernel or arch then it might be a bit different location in the github repo.
 

# uname -a
Linux opi 5.10.160-rockchip-rk3588 #1 SMP Fri May 26 08:01:48 UTC 2023 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.