December 2, 20232 yr I have recently accepted the 23.11.1 armbain kernel release on my RockPro 64 The update has not rebuilt or updated the uIntrd for the 6.1.63 kernel. Note that the /boot/uInitrd symlink still points to the old uInitrd version but the other two symlinks have updated. root@jupiter:~# ls -l /boot/dtb /boot/Image /boot/uInitrd lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Dec 2 20:38 /boot/dtb -> dtb-6.1.63-current-rockchip64 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Dec 2 20:38 /boot/Image -> vmlinuz-6.1.63-current-rockchip64 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Nov 30 18:04 /boot/uInitrd -> uInitrd-6.1.50-current-rockchip64 root@jupiter:~# ls -l /boot/uInitrd* lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Nov 30 18:04 /boot/uInitrd -> uInitrd-6.1.50-current-rockchip64 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17777215 Jul 22 21:07 /boot/uInitrd-5.15.93-rockchip64 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17560966 Nov 30 12:06 /boot/uInitrd-6.1.50-current-rockchip64 The first time after the update I did not notice before rebooting, and the box failed to boot properly. I got to a rescue console and was able to restore the three 6.1.50 kernel files from a backup, and restore the symlinks. I tried running: apt reinstall armbian-config armbian-firmware linux-dtb-current-rockchip64 linux-image-current-rockchip64 linux-u-boot-rockpro64-current base-files But this did not fix the problem. Google is not helping me find the command to create the 6.1.63 uInitrd file by hand. I have also tried installing the 6.1.64 kernel from beta.armbian.com but that had the same issue. Currently my device is running 6.1.50-current-rockchip64 but the 6.1.64-current-rockchip64 kernel is installed and I suspect that there are inconsistencies in how things are setup. For example wireguard is not working correctly. How can I restore my device back to a stable working state? Edited December 3, 20232 yr by David Pottage
December 2, 20232 yr Author NB: armbianmonitor did not work. No such package, and nothing that I can find to install.
December 3, 20232 yr armbianmonitor is shipped with all images by default. There is no dedicated package for it. https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/main/packages/bsp/common/usr/bin/armbianmonitor
December 3, 20232 yr Author Thanks @Werner - I have found a copy of the armbianmonitor script and used it to upload diagnostics.
December 4, 20232 yr Author I was able to restore my system to a working state, by downgrading to the old kernel versions. I think that there is probably a bug or missing command in the postinst scripts for newer armbain kernels. For anyone landing here via an internet search in future, the steps where: Find the upgrade command that installed the bad kernel. zless /var/log/apt/history.log.1.gz eg: Upgrade: armbian-config:arm64 (23.8.3, 23.11.1), linux-u-boot-rockpro64-current:arm64 (23.8.1, 23.11.1), linux-dtb-current-rockchip64:arm64 (23.8.1, 23.11.1), linux-image-current-rockchip64:arm64 (23.8.1, 23.11.1), armbian-firmware:arm64 (23.8.3, 23.11.1) Note that it shows both the old and new versions. Removed the beta apt source nano apt/sources.list.d/armbian.list Used apt to downgrade the offending packages using <name>=<version> syntax eg: apt install armbian-config=23.8.3 linux-u-boot-rockpro64-current=23.8.1 linux-dtb-current-rockchip64=23.8.1 linux-image-current-rockchip64=23.8.1 armbian-firmware=23.8.3 Checked that symlinks in /boot are consistent. ls -l /boot/ In my case dtb, Image and uInitrd all pointed to 6.1.50 versions Crossed fingers, rebooted. The other thing that made it possible to resolve this was a serial console adaptor. Without one it would have been very much harder to find the problem in the first place.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.